a few people have asked for recipes to meals i make so i thought i would put them down in one place with approx cals for people to use if they so wish.
Chicken Biryani (Approx 550 Cals for a plateful
- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 chicken breasts cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp curry paste or 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- i add frozen peas and sweetcorn too, to bulk it out even more.
- Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear. Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins. Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the rice into the pan with the raisins, then pour over the stock. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. Stir well, mixing through the coriander.