Chicken Liver Pâté with Orange and Sherry
A deliciously rich, creamy pâté.
Serves: 6 (or less as it’s so nice!)
· 1 or 2 tbsp water 400g pack (Waitrose) chicken livers
· 1 shallot, finely chopped (or small amount of onion)
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
· 2 tbsp dry sherry
· 100g Quark or 0% Total Yoghurt or mix of both
· Grated zest of 1 orange
1. Cut the livers into smaller pieces so that they cook more quickly and place in a sieve to drain a little.
2. Warm the water and ‘sauté’ the shallot and garlic until soft.
3. Add the chicken livers, thyme leaves and salt and pepper to taste
4. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a medium heat, stirring frequently until cooked through, but not too dry.
5. Add the grated orange zest and sherry and simmer for 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture along with the Quark/Yoghurt to a food processor or use a hand blender.
6. Whizz to a very smooth paste.
7. Spoon the mixture into small serving dishes and allow to cool.
8. Keep in the fridge
9. Take the pâté out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving with mini ‘gallettes’ or vegetable crudities.
Note – I think this variation is even better! Replace water with freshly Squeezed Orange Juice. Replace the sherry with 1 tbsp brandy which is flambéed at stage 4. Yummy!