carbonnara soup :(

~nix~

Silver Member
Well.....

First attempt at carbonnara, ended up being a carbonnara shake with floaty crunchy pasta bits..by time the pasta has softned and soup cooled . Tasted ok... As carbonnara soup

Second attempt..tonight i decided to follow the packet.... Put in boiling water and let it sit 10 mins..then microwaved it .... Still watery..with floaty hard pasta bits... Even after 2 mins microwave.. it didnt thicken... So let it cool.... Still watery smaller pasta soup and a bit salty....

Glad i didnt get loads of packets of this... Definately like porridge better.
Still i have only 8 more packets..maybe i will have a 3rd attempt in a few days

Nik.

I put in about 100ml of boiling water into a cereal/soup bowl and mix it all up thoroughly and then leave it for a couple of minutes. Then I mix again and it's usually quite thick so I add some more water to thin it out a bit. Then I stick it in the microwave for about a minute, take it out and stir again and if it needs more water, add a little, then microwave again for up to a minute and stir and it's done. It's the method that works for me, I had it tonight and it's yummy. The pasta bits dont get really soft, but they're not hard or inedible.

I will try that :)
I followed the packet..
I still ate it. Was ok
could have done with pepper.

That said the soup wasnt to bad...

And it looked like a tiny kids size portion... But it filled me.. i guess my stomachs shrunk some

Nik
Xxx

The instructions on the packet are wrong. They've got an update on the website that says:

Update: We’ve been listening to your feedback on the new pasta carbonara. Some of you feel that the instructions on the packet do not result in the optimum taste and texture. We’ve carried out some trials and found that the following additions to the instructions should help you get soft pasta and thick & delicious carbonara!

1. Add 150ml of boiling water to the packet contents in a bowl
  2. Stir then cover for 5 minutes
  3. Uncover and place in microwave for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
  4. Leave to stand for 1 minute before consuming

I will give it another go....

Well 8 more goes....

It doesnt put me off to much. I will still eat it regardless :)

Nik

I've ordered 4, so glad I read this thread once you've found the best way to cook let us all know

i sieve the pasta and cook this separately for about 5 mins in boiling water. meanwhile i add 130 mls of boiling water to the powder and stir then add the pasta back to the sauce and blast in the microwave for a minute or so til hot. i don't love it but the pasta is better cooked and i add plenty of Tabasco I've got about 25 packs to get through tho :((
it's alright for a change

Still not mastered it.....but i have the porridge down to a tee. So im gonna try make it into a thickish paste like the porridge first...

Then let it sit a while.. then mic it to thicken

Thats my plan ...ive 11 to get through..all else fails i will add a lil onion and a slice of ham and call it one of those 200 cal meals ... Or just stick withy carbonarra soup.... If you add garlic an a bit salt the soup options ok... With the lil pasta bits....

Nik

Nix how do you do the porridge. I only ever made it on my first day and the texture wasn't great so haven't tried again.

I put a little cold water in until it makes a slightly watery paste almost like youd make a batter.

Then microwave it for 1min, it usually looks like its going to set. Then water it down again until it like like porridge... The second lot of water cools it too so you can eat it straight away...

Must say the porridge is definately my favourate...

Enjoy
Nik
Xx

Made the carbonara today. I would say it was a bit of a labour of love...boiling water over the pasta, left it for two mins with a plate over the top. Then microwaved for two mins, stirred, left it with a plate over the top for five mins. Then one more minute in the microwave, another three minutes standing. When I took the lid off the pasta was soft, sauce was thick, very tasty, but wow, hard work :)

I bought one of these but haven't tried it yet, bit nervous about cooking it wrong!

Okies..i had one yesterday

I boiled the kettle. Put in enough water to make a loose paste....i let it sit for about ten mins then gave it a stir....

Then i zapped it in the microwave for 1 min...added a little more water then another min

Put in some herbs .. then let it sit again ( coz it was to hot)

It was ready to eat..must say it was ok....its not my favourate but i have 8 to eat..so its my weekend lunches

During the week i have bars for lunch

Hope this helps :)

Nik
Xx

Just had one of these, quite nice could eat another one lol

Yes I must say I actually look forward to carbonara every night now (got the winter warmer bumper pack which has 28 packs of it), I make it similarly to all the above descriptions, mixing it with boiling water, leaving it to stand for a few minutes, then microwave it. I find the pasta is nice and soft and although I put enough water in to make it quite runny and soup like, I like it because it is quite salty. So the flavour doesn't get lost with it being more diluted, I add some cracked pepper to it and I find it quite filling actually :)

Back