Preparing shakes at work

Mr Determined

Hey guys, I'm just wondering how you manage at work? I'm trying to be as discreet as possible and at home I use a hand blender so the shakes are lovely but at work I use the 'Shake & Go' Bottles and theyr'e always quite powdery/lumpy and I found the same using a shaker so I'm thinking of buying this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UGPOQGIOZGY1

Its a shaker with a battery powered blender in it - seems to have good reviews but hoping its not too noisy! :confused:

I used to use a small battery powered stick whisk that I think was for a cappuccino but the one you've chosen looks much better.

I get away with it as I only ever have my packs of an evening, I never have any during the day.

You[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif]'v[/FONT]e got me thinking now Katie! I had just been having the packs at 'meal times' at work out of habit but now that hunger isn't really an issue I guess I could try having them at different times. Only problem is I work 12-14 hour shifts but if I have one before and after I only need one at work - I may try ordering some bars as they would be easier to have - I didn't trust myself in the first week but feeling more in control now! (I do love gadgets though so couldn't resist ordering the thing anyway lol!)

I'm finding the shake and go chocolate shakes a bit lumpy too!! Not as good as the sachets and a really good blend!!

I'm finding the shake and go chocolate shakes a bit lumpy too!! Not as good as the sachets and a really good blend!!

Hiya, I actually managed to make a really smooth one today! I found the trick is to just put a small amount of water in it, shake it vigorously, and then add more water up to where you normally would and shake again - not one lump! :D

Has your gadget come yet?

Has your gadget come yet?

Alas it hasn't even been dispatched yet which isn't like Amazon - i'm 1/2 tempted to cancel it now that I've mastered the 'shake & go' bottle :rolleyes:

Hey, I think getting some bars is a good idea. Also, I have shakes in work regularly and I use a brilliant shaker bottle which was from Maxitone. I think you can buy them in most bigger Boots stores, I got mine online when I did maxitone for a while ages ago. 100% better than the Exante shaker, it has a mesh insert that sits on top of the container and then you screw the lid on. It comes out frothy and smooth and not a lump in sight :D
If you get on well with the shake and go bottles, that's good, I wonder if you could then achieve the same result with a normal water plastic drinking bottle. I'm a bit hesitant about the shake and go bottles because of the tremendous amount of waste.

Btw, well done on your awesome first week's loss!

Hey, I think getting some bars is a good idea. Also, I have shakes in work regularly and I use a brilliant shaker bottle which was from Maxitone. I think you can buy them in most bigger Boots stores, I got mine online when I did maxitone for a while ages ago. 100% better than the Exante shaker, it has a mesh insert that sits on top of the container and then you screw the lid on. It comes out frothy and smooth and not a lump in sight :D
If you get on well with the shake and go bottles, that's good, I wonder if you could then achieve the same result with a normal water plastic drinking bottle. I'm a bit hesitant about the shake and go bottles because of the tremendous amount of waste.

Btw, well done on your awesome first week's loss!

Thank you BeeBeeSee. I have to confess I didn't really think before ordering the shake & go bottles (and I got both choc and strawberry! :eek:) as I was just looking for something convenient for work like the cambridge tetra packs and was shocked when I got the massive box full of plastic bottles!! I don't intend ordering them again as like you say is a huge waste so I am washing a few of them after and reusing which has the advantage that I can have the other flavours as well and will recycle the rest. You could use a water bottle if you had some sort of funnel but the advantage of these bottles is they have a very wide top/opening so you can easily pour water from a water bottle and it is easy to pour a shake from a packet into them. Also I have now got into the habit of having a shake before and after work so only need to prepare one there so it is getting easier :)

I prepare them at home in the morning, and they are perfect by lunch

HI Quassi, I thought of doing that too but I think all the VLCD's seem to recommend against it as apparently the nutrients degrade over time once mixed - no idea by how much but they all seem to mention it when I've been reading around the forum :confused:

Unfortunately I've got no choice really, as don't have anywhere in work I can prepare it :( so will have to chance it still has enough nutrients by the time I have it....

Just thought I'd update in case anyone else was thinking of getting one. It arrived today but unfortunately the motor can't cope with all the powder in the shakes so it ends up lumpy and I tried with less water but it doesn't really work as it needs to cover the plastic blade so will see if I can return it and stick to the bottles. It seems to have great reviews on Amazon though so I can only assume they use much less powder in their protein shakes etc :confused:

Back