Hi All, just thought I'd give some random thoughts on maintaining after three months at it. Strictly speaking I am still trying to lose weight. I did six months on lipotrim and lost 87 lbs in total. I then decided to face the real world of food and also tackle the remainder of my target loss. After a lot of thought and research I decided to follow a GL plan and I now post mainly on the GL forum.
Three months on and I have maintained my 87 lbs loss and added another 13lbs to that. Some weeks I lose a pound or two and others I stay the same. Occasionally, I have a gain if I decide to pig out a bit that week.
Maintaining is a matter of constantly being aware of food. Unless you are a stick insect, you just have to make sure that calories in are less than calories out, otherwise you record a gain. The mix of foods is so important as well. GL gives me a proper balance and keeps me feeling full, mostly!!
I follow a couple of simple rules:
1)Almost no bread/potato/pasta or rice. I very rarely have any of them and do not miss them. Instead of these I have lentils/beans/quinoa/oatcakes/rye crackers.
2)80/20 rule. I try to be good 80% of the time and allow for being a bit piggy the other 20% of the time. A week I overeat will be a week I gain, so I have to plan for that.
3) Eating regularly. I used to skip meals and then find myself ravenous later. Now I have, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
4) Portion sizes. I find it a constant challenge to watch the portion sizes. A 120g of chicken or fish is TINY but it is enough.
5)Watch the snacks. I weaken some days and have too many snacks late in the evening. Not good, so have to keep a handle on that
6) Keep up the water intake. I find drinking at least two litres of water every day really helps keep the munchy attacks at bay.
Whilst I'd like to lose weight a bit more quickly, I am very happy to be maintaining my LT losses and losing a bit more even if it is at a slower rate.
Biggest lesson of all for me is to have patience!! Not easy for me!