Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Grass fed and organic

  1. #1
    Back to basics
    Donzy84's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd January, 2011
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    27
    Diet: Primal
    Height: 5ft4in
    Start Date: 27/07/11
    Start Weight: 12st13lb
    Current Weight: 10st1lb
    Goal Weight: 9st12lb
    Goal Date: May 2013


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 31.1
    Current BMI: 24.2
    Goal BMI: 23.7


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st3lb
    % Lost 22.1%

    Grass fed and organic

    Sorry for the thousand and one questions this morning.

    Do you all stick to the grass fed and organic? If so where do you buy? Online?

    I currently have free range eggs from a local farm and they do traditionally fed rare breed pork that you buy by the 1/4 etc would traditionally fed mean grass fed???

    Xxx

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

    Under 12 stone.
    Done!
    [B]
    [I][SIZE=2]10 1/2 stone.Done! The Primal way!
    2.5 Stone Lost.
    Done! The Primal way!
    10 Stone.
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Goal!!!! is in sight....

  2. #2
    Paleo Moderator
    professional spaminator


    Join Date
    29th March, 2011
    Posts
    9,039
    Rep Power
    692
    No I don't always stick to grass fed or organic.I buy the best I can if I have to get it from the supermarket.I try and buy from a butchers whenever possible.

    Traditionally fed is where they have had to forage for most of their food but I think have also had some pellets.If buying from a farm you can ask them what they feed their animals.

  3. #3
    Im always here!

    Deezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th April, 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    10,136
    Rep Power
    227
    Diet: /Primal/Crossfit
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Date: 21/07/2011
    Start Weight: 20st11lb
    Current Weight: 14st4lb
    Goal Weight: 12st7lb
    Goal Date: As soon as.....


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 47
    Current BMI: 32.3
    Goal BMI: 28.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 6st7lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st11lb
    % Lost 31.27%
    I agree and do the same.... I buy the best I can.... meat from the butchers only.... only organic, free range eggs....

    Get the best you can afford! Sure it will be fine hunni!!!

    X
    DEE XXX


  4. #4
    Im always here!
    Mis-behave's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th July, 2011
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    5,767
    Rep Power
    86
    Diet: Primal eating
    Height: 1.66m
    Start Date: 11 July 2011
    Start Weight: 96.6kg
    Current Weight: 98.8kg
    Goal Weight: 64.9kg


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 35.1
    Current BMI: 35.9
    Goal BMI: 23.5


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: -2.2kg
    Weight to Lose: 33.9kg
    % Lost -2.25%
    I buy nz meat as much as poss - most if not all will be grass fed also I'm biased lol

    I buy black farmer sausages as gluten free. For whole family..

    Butcher stocks from local farms etc and some organic free range poultry

    Mince - suppermarket - but I get extra lean steak mince from sainsbury

    We eat, lamb, lamb, chicken, pork ., lamb and beef and more nz lamb - nz lamb legs are 1/2 price in sainsbury .. My freezer has at least 7 legs in it - I keep buying them as we eat one a week (midweek) stick in oven when I go pick up kid1 2 hours slow cooking - Devine Good for lunches etc I don't do Sunday lunch as we are normally out or day or its just me and kids at home ..

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

  5. #5
    Back to basics
    Donzy84's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd January, 2011
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    27
    Diet: Primal
    Height: 5ft4in
    Start Date: 27/07/11
    Start Weight: 12st13lb
    Current Weight: 10st1lb
    Goal Weight: 9st12lb
    Goal Date: May 2013


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 31.1
    Current BMI: 24.2
    Goal BMI: 23.7


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st3lb
    % Lost 22.1%
    Thanks for all the replies, think I'm going to maybe look at less meat but better quality... And maybe see if any farms around, we have a butchers in our village and I used to use but found the meat very grisly and the last time I went the butcher picked up some chicken and then stuck his hands in mince before wrapping the meat up all without washing his hands and it really put me off especially when he then handled money! Couldn't believe it xxx

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

    Under 12 stone.
    Done!
    [B]
    [I][SIZE=2]10 1/2 stone.Done! The Primal way!
    2.5 Stone Lost.
    Done! The Primal way!
    10 Stone.
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Goal!!!! is in sight....

  6. #6
    Back to basics
    Donzy84's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd January, 2011
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    27
    Diet: Primal
    Height: 5ft4in
    Start Date: 27/07/11
    Start Weight: 12st13lb
    Current Weight: 10st1lb
    Goal Weight: 9st12lb
    Goal Date: May 2013


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 31.1
    Current BMI: 24.2
    Goal BMI: 23.7


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st3lb
    % Lost 22.1%
    Oh the farm that does the pork boxes will make me up sausages without rusk just herbs so they should be ok right?

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

    Under 12 stone.
    Done!
    [B]
    [I][SIZE=2]10 1/2 stone.Done! The Primal way!
    2.5 Stone Lost.
    Done! The Primal way!
    10 Stone.
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Goal!!!! is in sight....

  7. #7
    Paleo maintenance rocks!
    maintainer
    half century
    Plumfoodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th April, 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,225
    Rep Power
    51
    Diet: Primal diet + kettlebells
    Height: 5ft8in
    Start Date: January 2011
    Start Weight: 200lb
    Current Weight: 137lb
    Goal Weight: 150lb
    Goal Date: 14 October 2012


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 30.4
    Current BMI: 20.8
    Goal BMI: 22.8


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 63lb
    Weight to Lose: -13lb
    % Lost 31.5%
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzy84 View Post
    Oh the farm that does the pork boxes will make me up sausages without rusk just herbs so they should be ok right?

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
    Those sound ideal.

    I buy meat from a local butcher (who also sells online actually) - they are 'traditionally reared' and they do say a lot is grass fed although I've never asked them what they do over winter, what the chickens eat etc. It is really convenient for our household as they sell in two portion packs already pre-frozen (so mince for example comes in 250g blocks, vacuum sealed so you can defrost it in the package in a bowl of water in about 20 minutes, chicken breasts are vacuum sealed individually and defrost in the same time, etc). They aren't organic but I am personally happy enough with how they look after their animals:

    Why not organic?

    I find we do tend to eat more of the lower cost per portion meats from them but everything is delicious and when we do splurge on something like a steak it's to die for. If we had more mouths to feed I think I'd just stretch the meat out a bit more and add a bit more fat in cooking.

    I was buying the Black Farmer sausages but I am trying to avoid soya now which they contain - all 'commercial' GF sausages have either soya or something else in them (sometimes 'GF crumb which is made of rice etc). I did find one once that had potato starch in it but can't remember which. So now we either make our own sausages at home - not in skins, haha, terrified of them, but as patties usually - or buy the butcher's ones with no rusk in them.
    Just keep swinging, swinging, swinging... http://www.minimins.com/kettlebells/




    Final goal:

    under 32% body fat - done, April 2014

  8. #8
    Paleo Moderator
    professional spaminator


    Join Date
    29th March, 2011
    Posts
    9,039
    Rep Power
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumfoodie View Post
    Those sound ideal.

    I buy meat from a local butcher (who also sells online actually) - they are 'traditionally reared' and they do say a lot is grass fed although I've never asked them what they do over winter, what the chickens eat etc. It is really convenient for our household as they sell in two portion packs already pre-frozen (so mince for example comes in 250g blocks, vacuum sealed so you can defrost it in the package in a bowl of water in about 20 minutes, chicken breasts are vacuum sealed individually and defrost in the same time, etc). They aren't organic but I am personally happy enough with how they look after their animals:

    Why not organic?

    I find we do tend to eat more of the lower cost per portion meats from them but everything is delicious and when we do splurge on something like a steak it's to die for. If we had more mouths to feed I think I'd just stretch the meat out a bit more and add a bit more fat in cooking.

    I was buying the Black Farmer sausages but I am trying to avoid soya now which they contain - all 'commercial' GF sausages have either soya or something else in them (sometimes 'GF crumb which is made of rice etc). I did find one once that had potato starch in it but can't remember which. So now we either make our own sausages at home - not in skins, haha, terrified of them, but as patties usually - or buy the butcher's ones with no rusk in them.
    Piper's farm is where we got our Xmas turkey and other meats from when we were at the house.They have a shop in Exeter which I am going to go to next time I'm down there.

  9. #9
    Paleo maintenance rocks!
    maintainer
    half century
    Plumfoodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th April, 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,225
    Rep Power
    51
    Diet: Primal diet + kettlebells
    Height: 5ft8in
    Start Date: January 2011
    Start Weight: 200lb
    Current Weight: 137lb
    Goal Weight: 150lb
    Goal Date: 14 October 2012


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 30.4
    Current BMI: 20.8
    Goal BMI: 22.8


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 63lb
    Weight to Lose: -13lb
    % Lost 31.5%
    Quote Originally Posted by cavegirl13 View Post
    Piper's farm is where we got our Xmas turkey and other meats from when we were at the house.They have a shop in Exeter which I am going to go to next time I'm down there.
    Cool! The Exeter shop is lovely although I do find it difficult not to just grab one of everything as it all looks so yummy. This year we had a duck from them for Christmas, last year we did their 'simplest' turkey as we had a lot of guests and it was delicious and really easy to cook and serve. MIL was pleasantly surprised that it was 'proper' turkey as she was deeply suspicious of it coming in a roll, lol.
    Just keep swinging, swinging, swinging... http://www.minimins.com/kettlebells/




    Final goal:

    under 32% body fat - done, April 2014

  10. #10
    Im always here!

    Deezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th April, 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    10,136
    Rep Power
    227
    Diet: /Primal/Crossfit
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Date: 21/07/2011
    Start Weight: 20st11lb
    Current Weight: 14st4lb
    Goal Weight: 12st7lb
    Goal Date: As soon as.....


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 47
    Current BMI: 32.3
    Goal BMI: 28.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 6st7lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st11lb
    % Lost 31.27%
    Is there a farmers market you could visit.... I keep missing the one near me.... MUST go this month!!! Lol... X
    DEE XXX






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.