- 1 Post By Pommette
Hairy Bikers Somerset Chicken - or pork too
Now the original Hairy Bikers recipe is LOADED with syns - cream, butter - and if you want to do it you wipe out your whole 15 syns for the day!
But I've adapted it to be more SW friendly for a red/EE day to be just
5 syns per serving plus 1 HexA and 1 HexB.
It's a lovely dinner party menu that you can serve to friends without them realising you are on any sort of diet whatsoever! Fantastic.
INGREDIENTS (FOR 6)
6 boneless chicken breasts, skin removed
2 onions, sliced
4 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp grain mustard
110 g button mushrooms, sliced
250 ml chicken stock (made from syn-free cubes, powder or bouillon)
300 ml dry cider
125 ml fat free fromage frais
2 dessert apples, peeled and sliced into batons
1 tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
252 g Low Fat Cheddar cheese, grated (42 g per person as HexA)
6 baked potatoes (227 g each as HexB)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
2. Heat a large saute pan and add some Fry Light.
3. Fry the chicken breasts in batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden. Put them into a deep-sided oven tray and roast for 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Add a bit more Fry Light if needed and cook the onions for 4-5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the flour and mustard to the pan and cook for another 2 mins. Add the apples and button mushrooms and cook for 1 min. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil, then pour in the cider. Bring back to the boil and cook for 5 mins. Add the sage, cook for another 5 mins, then season with salt and black pepper.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 1-2 mins and then carefully add the fromage frais a tablespoonful at a time - stirring continuously so it doesn't curdle or go lumpy.
6. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour the sauce into the dish to cover the chicken completely. Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling.
7. Serve with the jacket potatoes and some veg - I love sliced runner beans and carrots with it to add lots of colour.
I've also done this recipe with pork fillet (tenderloin) and it is equally as good!
You could eliminate 2 syns per person by using English Mustard powder as this is free but I think it would alter the taste and I'm not sure what quantity you would need to use.
Last edited by Pommette : 20th August, 2011 at 03:30 PM
Got to original target . . . 23/11/11
"With a Little Help from My Friends" - especially the tortoise team
Got to next (lowered) target . . . 21/02/12
Another challenge to lose 5 st in total achieved . . . 31/08/12
SLOW AND STEADY - 1 lb a week (or should that be 0.45359 kg ???) Pommette's Diary - Now to Maintain!!! Slinky Summer Sirens - Target here we come Maintenance Since Final target reached on 31/08/2012 - Should be 1.4 kg either way I want to get back to target! And I keep messing up!
So I've reset everything (again, again) and this is what I want to achieve: START (7/7/14) - 79.4 Kg (12:7 - exactly 1 st over target )
1. Get back to where I was at the start of the year - 77.5 (12:2¾) - achieved 14/7/14 . . . Pah went back over (8/09) - back under again (22/9) - still clinging on (20/10)
Dated targets added 17th September 2014
2. Get back to Original target by 24/11/14 - 75.75 (11:13)
3. Get back to Interim target by 12/01/15 - 74.4 (11:10)
4. Get back to Final target [5 stone shiney & BMI under 26] by 02/03/14 - 73.2 (11:7½)
Well feel free to post anymore recipes and pictures ;-)
Thank you for the recipe, Pommette! I made this yesterday, using quark, and it was delicious - would definitely make it again
Start Weight (Rosemary Conley - Oct '09): 16 stone 9.5
Start Weight (Slimming World - Feb '11): 15 stone 7.5
Current Weight: 10 stone 8
Back on track after a shaky start to 2012 - aiming for 10 stone 7.5 to regain my 5 stone award!
(Joined a group after doing it online!)
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.