Slow Cooker Tarka Dal (vegetarian)
We've had this a few times for tea now, it's absolutely delicious. I have it with rice. There's three of us at home so we usually have it for tea, then lunch the next day and still enough left to freeze for tea another day.
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 - 2 chopped chillis
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 chopped peppers
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Soak the lentils in enough water to cover them by an inch.
- Put the slow cooker on a high setting and once it is quite hot add the onions, garlic Chillies and ginger along with a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Add some salt and ground black pepper. Stir everything well together. Let the onions cook until they are translucent. Placing the lid on the slow cooker helps expedite the cooking. Stir the onions every once in a while. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and the tomato puree and mix well. Add the turmeric. Stir.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the onions and peppers and stir well to mix. Add 1 litre of water or vegetable stock and mix thoroughly. Add more salt and black pepper.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook for about three hours on a high setting or five hours on a low setting. If the mixture gets dry during cooking, add more water.
- When the dal has broken down thoroughly, stir the dal well with a ladle. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice and add the coriander and stir well. Serve hot.