Sweet potato alternative to apple sauce for pork
Measure for measure apple sauce and sweet chilli sauce have the same syn value, so I use this recipe as an alternative to apple sauce with my roast pork. It has the additional advantage of substituting for roast potatoes so I don't feel left out when the rest of the family dig in to crunchy fluffy roasties.
1 small to medium sweet potato
quarter of an onion, cut into slivers
quarter of long red pepper cut into strips
1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and cut the potato into roastie size chunks. Boil in salted water until soft but not quite cooked through.
2. Drain the potatoes and shake them in the pot to fluff them up.
3. Tip the potatoes into a baking dish. Add the onion slivers and pepper strips.
4. Pour over the chilli sauce and toss the veggies (you don't want them swimming in chilli sauce, just a thin coating). Sprinkle with crushed black pepper.
5. Bake in the oven with the rest of the roast dinner. The onions and peppers will caramelise and the potatoes, though not crunchy, should get a caramelised skin too.
Really yummy with roast pork :eating: