A few of us amongst our own food diary threads have decided to do a salad challenge! I cannot take credit for this idea, it all comes from the lovely Kay (I've also pinched some her text and copy and pasted below)
I thought it would be best to start a thread so we can post our ideas/progress/results and give others the opportunity to take part if they like.
The challenge lasts a week and the rules are very straightforward;
- one of your main meals each day has to be salad, it cannot be a side to go with a main course, it has to be your main meal
- min of 2L of water a day
- as low salt as possible throughout the week
- as low carbs as possible (red days work better with this challenge)
- lots of protein and fresh fruit and veg
- add some body magic to the week, even light walking, at least 2-3 times in the week as a minimum
Feel free to join in the challenge and adapt it to what suits you best Make sure you add lots of variety so you don't get bored by day 4! Some suggestions for salads could be based around the following ingredients to keep it interesting (you can add your own choices too) :-
- egg saladYou should bulk these up with lots of leafy veg. Make sure you syn any dressings but some ideas for low syn or syn free dressing are the kraft light dressings (they have quite a variety), vinaigrettes, balsamic vinegar etc. You could also add croutons, breadsticks etc. but bear in mind that these will need to be synned and can be quite high on red days as the idea is to keep carbs to a minimum with the meals being bulked out with plenty of protein and salad.
- bean salad
- tofu salad
- tuna salad
- salmon salad
- chicken salad
- lentil salad
These are just some ideas, adapt it to what suits you and you can always change things as you go along in the week.
Let's kick some butt with this challenge and get lean for the summer!