Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AnnaFaraday

Thread: What is a KJ? ( kilo joule!?!)

  1. #1
    Regular Member

    Join Date
    26th April, 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft3in
    Start Date: 28/04/14
    Start Weight: 10st5.6lb
    Current Weight: 9st13.0lb
    Goal Weight: 9st7.0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 25.8
    Current BMI: 24.6
    Goal BMI: 23.6


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st6.6lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st6lb
    % Lost 4.53%

    What is a KJ? ( kilo joule!?!)

    Hi am trying to work out syn value on some pasta sauce, I've heard it's 20 calories per syn ie 100 cals 5 syns. However this sauce only has its energy value in KJ there's 454kj and 4.2g total fat 0.6 sat fat per serving? Should I eat it or not?????

  2. #2
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Though some of those calories could be free food so if you let us have all the nutritional info it will hopefully be less than you work out using the 20 cal rule

  3. #3
    Im always here!


    Join Date
    29th March, 2011
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    10,469
    Rep Power
    465
    Diet: 5:2 / The Fast Diet
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Weight: 15st0lb
    Current Weight: 12st4.4lb
    Goal Weight: 10st10lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 33.9
    Current BMI: 27.8
    Goal BMI: 24.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st9.6lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st8.4lb
    % Lost 17.9%
    Quote Originally Posted by jen3 View Post
    Though some of those calories could be free food so if you let us have all the nutritional info it will hopefully be less than you work out using the 20 cal rule
    As the OP has already mentioned it's a pasta sauce, it wouldn't have any free food allowance. So the 20 cal "rule" is fine in this case.

  4. #4
    Regular Member

    Join Date
    26th April, 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft3in
    Start Date: 28/04/14
    Start Weight: 10st5.6lb
    Current Weight: 9st13.0lb
    Goal Weight: 9st7.0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 25.8
    Current BMI: 24.6
    Goal BMI: 23.6


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st6.6lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st6lb
    % Lost 4.53%
    Thanks for the help ladies, think ill call it 6 syns to be safe

  5. #5
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Stevie View Post
    As the OP has already mentioned it's a pasta sauce, it wouldn't have any free food allowance. So the 20 cal "rule" is fine in this case.

    Tomatoes, onions, peppers all have calories and could all be in a pasta sauce. For example a tin of chopped tomatoes has nearly 90 calories in it but shouldnt be synned!

  6. #6
    ..


    Join Date
    5th May, 2011
    Posts
    2,573
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by jen3 View Post
    Tomatoes, onions, peppers all have calories and could all be in a pasta sauce. For example a tin of chopped tomatoes has nearly 90 calories in it but shouldnt be synned!
    Commercially prepared pasta sauces (the kind that comes in bottles on the supermarket shelf) are synned. If you make your own from the free food you mention, then it wouldn't be.
    Princess_Stevie likes this.

  7. #7
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFaraday View Post
    Commercially prepared pasta sauces (the kind that comes in bottles on the supermarket shelf) are synned. If you make your own from the free food you mention, then it wouldn't be.
    I get what you're saying and I know there would be syns in it. But even ready meals you cant use the 20 cal rule as there will usually be an element of free food (in pasta sauce probably tomato). When you use the syn calculator on the sw website you would put tomatoes in as the free food element if thats the greatest ingredient. I'm assuming that you use the syn calculator but not sure if you are a member that is able to use the website or not as I know a lot on here arent

  8. #8
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Sorry for going on about this but I dont want people who maybe dont attend a class to get the wrong info

    I've just got an example out of my cupboard - Lloyd Grossman tomato and chilli sauce in a jar

    Using the 20 cal rule it would be 11 syns per jar.

    Using the syn calculator on the website and inputting all the nutritional info (fat, carbs, protein etc) and giving tomatoes as the free food element (as its 60% tomatoes) the actual syn value per jar is only 5.5 syns

  9. #9
    Really Really likes to post!


    Join Date
    31st January, 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,762
    Rep Power
    203
    Diet: SW
    Height: 5ft9in
    Start Date: Life is one LONG diet!!!
    Start Weight: 13st6lb
    Current Weight: 12st13lb
    Goal Weight: 11st10lb
    Goal Date: Whenever


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.8
    Current BMI: 26.7
    Goal BMI: 24.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st3lb
    % Lost 3.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by jen3 View Post
    Sorry for going on about this but I dont want people who maybe dont attend a class to get the wrong info

    I've just got an example out of my cupboard - Lloyd Grossman tomato and chilli sauce in a jar

    Using the 20 cal rule it would be 11 syns per jar.

    Using the syn calculator on the website and inputting all the nutritional info (fat, carbs, protein etc) and giving tomatoes as the free food element (as its 60% tomatoes) the actual syn value per jar is only 5.5 syns
    This sauce is actually 10 SYNS on all plans......if you look up the syns using SW online by entering loyd grossman rather than working it out yourself with the SYN calculator.

    This obviously shows that free foods can't be used for sauces.....like they can't for soups also.

    Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce , 350g jar. 10 10 10

  10. #10
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by lentil2 View Post
    This sauce is actually 10 SYNS on all plans......if you look up the syns using SW online by entering loyd grossman rather than working it out yourself with the SYN calculator.

    This obviously shows that free foods can't be used for sauces.....like they can't for soups also.

    Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce , 350g jar. 10 10 10

    I was trying to show an example of using the syn calculator if the product wasnt listed - which goes to show that the sw syns calculator is pretty crap! So if its THAT innacurate what should it be used for?

  11. #11
    Really Really likes to post!


    Join Date
    31st January, 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,762
    Rep Power
    203
    Diet: SW
    Height: 5ft9in
    Start Date: Life is one LONG diet!!!
    Start Weight: 13st6lb
    Current Weight: 12st13lb
    Goal Weight: 11st10lb
    Goal Date: Whenever


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.8
    Current BMI: 26.7
    Goal BMI: 24.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st3lb
    % Lost 3.72%
    The calculator isn't crap!! Its correct!
    You cannot put in free foods for sauces or soups...that's the point I was trying to make!!

    I'm sure HQ use the same system for calculating syns...they wouldn't use one way and give us another...its more about how you use it!!

  12. #12
    Im always here!

    Join Date
    19th September, 2013
    Posts
    10,089
    Rep Power
    103
    Height: 5ft3in
    Start Weight: 11st2.5lb
    Current Weight: 10st8lb
    Goal Weight: 10st0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.7
    Current BMI: 26.2
    Goal BMI: 24.8


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st8.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st8lb
    % Lost 5.43%
    I didn't know that. I assumed free meant free boo!

  13. #13
    Really Really likes to post!

    Join Date
    27th March, 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    89
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft10in
    Start Date: 18 February 2013
    Start Weight: 13st7.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st0.0lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: July 2015 - holiday!!!!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.2
    Current BMI: 26.1
    Goal BMI: 23.1


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st7.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st7lb
    % Lost 3.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by lentil2 View Post
    The calculator isn't crap!! Its correct!
    You cannot put in free foods for sauces or soups...that's the point I was trying to make!!

    I'm sure HQ use the same system for calculating syns...they wouldn't use one way and give us another...its more about how you use it!!
    Well if thats the case - then fair enough but I've never been told that (and I stay to group).





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.