Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Syn allowance help

  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    18th July, 2014
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Syn allowance help

    Hi, I am looking to start slimming world tomorrow. I have a stone to lose....how many syns should I allow myself a day? Thanks for any help x

  2. #2
    Not such a fat kat now :)

    Join Date
    28th July, 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,896
    Rep Power
    75
    Diet: low fat calorie counting with slimming world influences
    Height: 5ft7in
    Start Date: 24/02/2009
    Start Weight: 19st1.5lb
    Current Weight: 13st5lb
    Goal Weight: 11st7lb
    Goal Date: May 13th 2013


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 41.9
    Current BMI: 29.3
    Goal BMI: 25.2


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 5st10.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 1st12lb
    % Lost 30.09%
    You'll get told at group to have between 10-15. Most people start off on 15 and go lower as they lose weight

    Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

  3. #3
    getting to that 6st loss!

    Join Date
    30th September, 2011
    Location
    Near Hull
    Posts
    6,582
    Rep Power
    106
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Weight: 20st12lb
    Current Weight: 18st0lb
    Goal Weight: 14st12lb
    Goal Date: First goal -6stone


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 47.1
    Current BMI: 40.7
    Goal BMI: 33.6


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 3st2lb
    % Lost 13.7%
    Always start with 15. Then when/if you're weight loss slows down you can reduce your syns.
    Too many new members join our group, having hardly any syns thinking they've been really good that week. Yet the second week use all their syns and don't lose !much or gain... Use them up! X

    Sent from my LIFETAB_E7313

  4. #4
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    16th August, 2011
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    21
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft1in
    Start Date: 23/09/2013
    Start Weight: 14st11.6lb
    Current Weight: 12st4lb
    Goal Weight: 10st0lb
    Goal Date: By Christmas.


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 39.2
    Current BMI: 32.5
    Goal BMI: 26.4


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st7.6lb
    Weight to Lose: 2st4lb
    % Lost 17.15%
    I've lost almost 3 stone and still losing happily having 12-15 syns a day. They are there to use so use them!! X

  5. #5
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    9th July, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    4
    I am unsure about my syns, I hardly use any as I am not hungry, not sure what to eat, I had my first weigh in and lost 1 and a half pounds, I had just come off a total food replacement diet though so wasn't even expecting a loss, I have been worried about gaining weight if I now up my syns, I was told to have 10 syns, but most days I have 3 and thats from an alpen light bar.
    Any suggestions on what I could have to use my syns?
    Good luck on your first day hun xx

  6. #6
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    11th July, 2014
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    16
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft5in
    Start Date: 7/7/14
    Start Weight: 15st10lb
    Current Weight: 14st10.5lb
    Goal Weight: 12st0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 36.6
    Current BMI: 34.4
    Goal BMI: 28


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st13.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 2st10.5lb
    % Lost 6.14%
    Quote Originally Posted by grollyzbird View Post
    I am unsure about my syns, I hardly use any as I am not hungry, not sure what to eat, I had my first weigh in and lost 1 and a half pounds, I had just come off a total food replacement diet though so wasn't even expecting a loss, I have been worried about gaining weight if I now up my syns, I was told to have 10 syns, but most days I have 3 and thats from an alpen light bar.
    Any suggestions on what I could have to use my syns?
    Good luck on your first day hun xx
    For me its been Coke, I've cut down from 3 x 500ml bottles a day to just one, that takes 10.5 syns. Then I'll have some low fat ice cream with sugar free jelly to get me up to 14 or 15. I'm trying to do without the Coke, managed one day so far with none, a few days I've only drank half of it so I'm getting there.

    There are countless things I could have instead though, chocolate, nuts, popcorn, but if you haven't got a sweet tooth like me I would say cook with proper oil, or add some sauces to your meals. Maybe some extra bread, the choices are endless. For me I'll keep using about 15 a day and rethink it if I stop losing.

  7. #7
    getting to that 6st loss!

    Join Date
    30th September, 2011
    Location
    Near Hull
    Posts
    6,582
    Rep Power
    106
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Weight: 20st12lb
    Current Weight: 18st0lb
    Goal Weight: 14st12lb
    Goal Date: First goal -6stone


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 47.1
    Current BMI: 40.7
    Goal BMI: 33.6


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 3st2lb
    % Lost 13.7%
    I use mine on crisps, sauces with meals, butter. Sausages. Sometimes oil for chips as it's 6syns a tbsp so that can help use them if your not hungry x

    Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

  8. #8
    Im always here!

    Join Date
    19th September, 2013
    Posts
    10,089
    Rep Power
    103
    Height: 5ft3in
    Start Weight: 11st2.5lb
    Current Weight: 10st8lb
    Goal Weight: 10st0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 27.7
    Current BMI: 26.2
    Goal BMI: 24.8


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st8.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st8lb
    % Lost 5.43%
    Wine!
    jogirl likes this.

  9. #9
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    9th July, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lougalx View Post
    For me its been Coke, I've cut down from 3 x 500ml bottles a day to just one, that takes 10.5 syns. Then I'll have some low fat ice cream with sugar free jelly to get me up to 14 or 15. I'm trying to do without the Coke, managed one day so far with none, a few days I've only drank half of it so I'm getting there.

    There are countless things I could have instead though, chocolate, nuts, popcorn, but if you haven't got a sweet tooth like me I would say cook with proper oil, or add some sauces to your meals. Maybe some extra bread, the choices are endless. For me I'll keep using about 15 a day and rethink it if I stop losing.
    I stopped drinking regular coke ages ago, I have been on zero coke ever since and sugar free drinks etc, one of my problems is I already started to cut down on fat and sugar etc before I started this, I love crisps and chocolate but haven't fancied any so far, but worried if I start eating those then I might eat to much lol
    I might try a sausage when we have a 'fry up' I sometimes use brown sauce or ketchup in the burgers.
    I guess I will see how I go these first few weeks then take it from there
    well done on cutting your coke down
    Xx

  10. #10
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    11th July, 2014
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    16
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft5in
    Start Date: 7/7/14
    Start Weight: 15st10lb
    Current Weight: 14st10.5lb
    Goal Weight: 12st0lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 36.6
    Current BMI: 34.4
    Goal BMI: 28


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 0st13.5lb
    Weight to Lose: 2st10.5lb
    % Lost 6.14%
    Oh yeah, I'm terrified of buying a load of chocolate because once I start I'm not sure I could stop myself. Haven't really missed it though, the Alpen light bars are giving me a little chocolate fix so that helps! I've tried different diet drinks but not keen on them, pepsi max was awful. Might try the Coke zero again, I didn't used to like it before compared to normal Coke but I would rather use my syns on something more worthwhile, haha.

  11. #11
    Reformed biscuit dunker


    Join Date
    6th April, 2013
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    211
    Diet: Slimming World EE
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Weight: 13st4.5lb
    Current Weight: 10st8.5lb


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 30.1
    Current BMI: 24


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st10lb
    % Lost 20.38%
    Quote Originally Posted by grollyzbird View Post
    I am unsure about my syns, I hardly use any as I am not hungry, not sure what to eat, I had my first weigh in and lost 1 and a half pounds, I had just come off a total food replacement diet though so wasn't even expecting a loss, I have been worried about gaining weight if I now up my syns, I was told to have 10 syns, but most days I have 3 and thats from an alpen light bar.
    Any suggestions on what I could have to use my syns?
    Good luck on your first day hun xx
    You have had some great tips here on using your syns and to get the maximum out of this diet you need to follow the plan correctly. I would get up to at least 10 syns per day ASAP and don't worry if you STS or gain as it won't last. I understand you are worried about eating the things you like such as chocolate or crisps but you are soon going to feel deprived if you don't and that is when you are most likely to fall off the wagon. The syns allow you to have these treats and that's what's great about this plan, it's just about re-thinking what you eat and making sensible choices. If you really don't want the chocolate etc, have extras as the others have said such as sauces, gravy, butter or an extra HEXA or HEXB. Good luck and enjoy eating the syns

  12. #12
    Forum Master
    maintainer

    Join Date
    17th November, 2012
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,810
    Rep Power
    116
    Diet: Slimming World
    Height: 5ft5in
    Start Date: 2 Jan 2011
    Start Weight: 14st7lb
    Current Weight: 10st8lb
    Goal Weight: 10st7lb
    Goal Date: Reached in 2013. Now maintaining - but if a little more goes I'm not complaining!


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 33.8
    Current BMI: 24.6
    Goal BMI: 24.5


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 3st13lb
    Weight to Lose: 0st1lb
    % Lost 27.09%
    Quote Originally Posted by grollyzbird View Post
    I am unsure about my syns, I hardly use any as I am not hungry, not sure what to eat, I had my first weigh in and lost 1 and a half pounds, I had just come off a total food replacement diet though so wasn't even expecting a loss, I have been worried about gaining weight if I now up my syns, I was told to have 10 syns, but most days I have 3 and thats from an alpen light bar.
    Any suggestions on what I could have to use my syns?
    Good luck on your first day hun xx
    Syns don't necessarily need to be used on sweet treats or savoury snacks. As Jess has suggested, you can incorporate them into a meal by using them for ketchup, salad cream/mayo, tinned fruit, gravy, a Yorkshire pud with your roast, nuts, a luxury yogurt (the Danio yogurts with a fruit underlay are well worth the odd Syn or two), an ice-cream or lolly, extra HExs etc. The idea is that they stop you from feeling deprived and then bingeing on the items you crave whilst at the same time teaching you to have sensible portions.

    For things like chocolate and biscuits, I always bought individually wrapped items as the act of unwrapping them makes you more conscious of what you are eating. Freddos and Curly Wurlies are popular with SWers - the latter are, I understand, particularly good if frozen as it makes them last longer, but I wouldn't know about that! I find something like a tube of Refresher sweets good on the odd occasion I specifically want sweets rather than chocolate.

    I think at the moment you have what I call 'New Diet Syndrome' when you are enthusiastic and motivated and so find it easy to go without. That might not change, but have a ponder as to whether you are avoiding Syns because they are often used for the items you have to avoid on many diets - the term 'diet' is synonymous with deprivation and that is not what SW is about.

  13. #13
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    9th July, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lougalx View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm terrified of buying a load of chocolate because once I start I'm not sure I could stop myself. Haven't really missed it though, the Alpen light bars are giving me a little chocolate fix so that helps! I've tried different diet drinks but not keen on them, pepsi max was awful. Might try the Coke zero again, I didn't used to like it before compared to normal Coke but I would rather use my syns on something more worthwhile, haha.
    I love coke zero haha I can see why you would want to use your syns on something else hehe, give it a few days on zero and you won't miss regular

  14. #14
    Likes to post

    Join Date
    9th July, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by NotsofattyPatty View Post
    Syns don't necessarily need to be used on sweet treats or savoury snacks. As Jess has suggested, you can incorporate them into a meal by using them for ketchup, salad cream/mayo, tinned fruit, gravy, a Yorkshire pud with your roast, nuts, a luxury yogurt (the Danio yogurts with a fruit underlay are well worth the odd Syn or two), an ice-cream or lolly, extra HExs etc. The idea is that they stop you from feeling deprived and then bingeing on the items you crave whilst at the same time teaching you to have sensible portions.

    For things like chocolate and biscuits, I always bought individually wrapped items as the act of unwrapping them makes you more conscious of what you are eating. Freddos and Curly Wurlies are popular with SWers - the latter are, I understand, particularly good if frozen as it makes them last longer, but I wouldn't know about that! I find something like a tube of Refresher sweets good on the odd occasion I specifically want sweets rather than chocolate.

    I think at the moment you have what I call 'New Diet Syndrome' when you are enthusiastic and motivated and so find it easy to go without. That might not change, but have a ponder as to whether you are avoiding Syns because they are often used for the items you have to avoid on many diets - the term 'diet' is synonymous with deprivation and that is not what SW is about.
    That makes sense about unwrapping! if it is a pack of biscuits I could quite easily have a pack just sitting there watching the tv! scary lol
    I think one of my problems is that I have trained myself not to eat the crisps and chocolate, when I was on Slim and Save I would crave them constantly but if I ate them then I didn't enjoy them, now I don't crave them at all, its because I am eating normal food, I was obsessed with any food on Slim and Save, I thought about it day and night, even dreaming lol
    But nothing at all now, I have been on and off Slim and Save since March, but now 10 days on Slimming World, I have to remind myself to eat now, it is such a huge difference, but I also feel really really good so I am not wanting to comfort eat like normal
    Something has clicked in place, its a very good feeling
    Oh and I have accounted for 8 syns today which is the highest so far
    Thank you all for your advice xx

  15. #15
    getting to that 6st loss!

    Join Date
    30th September, 2011
    Location
    Near Hull
    Posts
    6,582
    Rep Power
    106
    Diet: Slimming world
    Height: 5ft6in
    Start Weight: 20st12lb
    Current Weight: 18st0lb
    Goal Weight: 14st12lb
    Goal Date: First goal -6stone


    BMI Information:
    Start BMI: 47.1
    Current BMI: 40.7
    Goal BMI: 33.6


    Statistics:
    Total Weight Loss: 2st12lb
    Weight to Lose: 3st2lb
    % Lost 13.7%
    I don't use it on biscuits as like many id eat the whole lot!!

    I enjoy daim bars for 7.5syns. Or mini toffee crisp bars for 5 syns. X

    Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.