One Day At A Time - lost my way and need to find it again :o(

redhead66

This will be my year
I’m writing my thoughts, not in the expectation that anybody will find them particularly interesting or insightful, but in the hope that I can use them to keep me motivated when things get tough on my Cambridge journey.

My name is Vee, I’m (just) the wrong side of 40, and as the title says, I truly believe that I’m a foodaholic.

This is my third attempt at CD. The first time, I lost 56lb in 60 days :D, and then got over confident… OK cocky, and complacent. Rather than working my way up through the plans to lose that last stone, I thought I knew best and did my own thing. Within 2 years all the weight was back with interest! The second time I managed 2 weeks before I had to give up through illness. It wasn’t caused by CD, but it was made worse by the extra weight. For the last year or so I’ve been piddling about and have restarted any number of times, but haven’t lasted beyond day 2 as my heart wasn’t really in it.

I’m about 7st heavier than I’d like to be, and it’s time to do something about it. My back’s shot; I’m starting to get out of breath when I walk any distance, and my PCOS symptoms are getting completely out of control. More importantly, my self-confidence has hit absolute rock bottom. I’m changing jobs in 5 weeks and I’m already dreading it, despite it being my dream job. I still don’t know how I found the confidence to go for the interviews, even less give a 30 minute presentation in front of people I didn’t know, but I did, and somehow I've managed to land my ideal job. What should be excitement is being completely overshadowed by the thoughts in my head – will I be the biggest one there? What will my new colleagues think of me? I’ll be travelling to the Far East several times a year - what about if I’m on one of the Eastern airlines whose seats are made for the smaller, slimmer nationalities? Already I have a huge inferiority complex, and am comparing myself to people that I haven’t even met yet... how stupid is that?? :confused:

My biggest shock came from a discussion with a friend who’s a recovering alcoholic. We were discussing his recovery and I laughingly asked if I could go along to meetings with him because if you substitute food for booze, then I have exactly the same issues that he had with drink. I was gobsmacked when he said that he’s often thought that I have a totally unhealthy relationship with food, but has never dared to say anything because he didn’t know how I’d react, and he didn’t want to lose our friendship. I’ve cried, I’ve tried to deny it and to justify it as simply a love of good food, but I know it’s true – when I’m happy, sad, stressed, depressed, tired, I eat. When I got my new job, my celebration was a no-holds-barred trip around M&S food hall, followed by stuffing my face with all the goodies until I felt physically sick! Enough is enough, I don't want to feel like this, physically and emotionally knackered, so it's time to stop allowing food to rule my life.

The same friend sent me this quote, and I’m adopting it as my mantra for my CD journey:

In the… days of recovery, just abstaining for that moment, hour, etc. is truly all we can do. If we can't do that, there's no point in worrying about tomorrow, or next week, or whenever.”

In the past, I’ve sabotaged myself by setting myself goals to lose 2st in 8 weeks etc. I’ve then found myself thinking that I have 56 days to lose 28lb, and first time round I did it within a month, so what does it matter if I’m not 100% today? After all, I’ve got 55 more days to achieve it… and of course I never did! This time, I’m looking no further ahead than getting through each day 100% SS.

Anyway, enough navel gazing, it’s time to get my fat ass into gear and reclaim my life. If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading – I promise the rest of my posts won’t be as depressing, but it was important for me to get this down in writing, to remind my exactly why I have to do it this time.

Night all

Vx

Hi v. Welcome back to Cambridge. I have the same totally unhealthy relationship with food so understand where youre coming from. You'll be feelin great by the time you start that new job and feeling better each time you get on a flight and notice there is that little bit more space each time!! Stick with it and come join our team ideal loads of us have just started would be great to all walk it together x

Me too!

Its as though I could have written that introduction!

Welcome back, I thinkremember you from one of my many restarts... :)

Now I have hella lots to do today but best of luck - keep us posted!

Thanks for the welcome ladies :)

Well I'm nearly at the end of my first day. I have one more pack to have - a warm choc mint in about an hour I think. I can honestly say that I haven't found it too bad so far. I've been really busy at work, so I've been distracted from thinking about food... it was gone 5pm when I remembered that I'd only had one shake. The only thing I have noticed is that I'm feeling blooming cold, but that could just be the weather.

Hope everybody else is having a good day

V x

redhead66 said:
Thanks for the welcome ladies :)

Well I'm nearly at the end of my first day. I have one more pack to have - a warm choc mint in about an hour I think. I can honestly say that I haven't found it too bad so far. I've been really busy at work, so I've been distracted from thinking about food... it was gone 5pm when I remembered that I'd only had one shake. The only thing I have noticed is that I'm feeling blooming cold, but that could just be the weather.

Hope everybody else is having a good day

V x

Well done gettin through day one xx

Just been for my mini WI with my CDC... so far 8lb down in 3 days :D I think I'm hitting ketosis as I've got a mouth like the bottom of a budgie's cage, the headache from hell, and I feel completely knackered. Not that it's not like my usual Sunday feeling, but normally that's down to too much red wine the night before ;)

I've got a testing week coming up - quite a lot of breakfast/lunchtime meetings where food will be provided. Normally I'd be picking at the buffet all the way through and not even thinking about it, so I'm pretty worried that I'll still mindlessly be popping bits into my mouth. All I can do is keep chugging down the water and make sure I've got my tetras at my side... wish me luck!

Hello I would like to wish u all the best :)

redhead66 said:
Just been for my mini WI with my CDC... so far 8lb down in 3 days :D I think I'm hitting ketosis as I've got a mouth like the bottom of a budgie's cage, the headache from hell, and I feel completely knackered. Not that it's not like my usual Sunday feeling, but normally that's down to too much red wine the night before ;)

I've got a testing week coming up - quite a lot of breakfast/lunchtime meetings where food will be provided. Normally I'd be picking at the buffet all the way through and not even thinking about it, so I'm pretty worried that I'll still mindlessly be popping bits into my mouth. All I can do is keep chugging down the water and make sure I've got my tetras at my side... wish me luck!

Excellent well done. Stay focused this week good luck x

I'm soooo fed up with myself, I'm such a failure... I had my WI this morning and had lost 8lb, and less than 12 hours later I've had the most enormous blip. I feel completely useless and just want to cry.

I was feeling so strong after my WI that I decided to have a cooking day day, and fill the freezer with meals ready for my OH coming home. He works away most of the time, and was due home in a couple of weeks, so I thought that it made sense to have the freezer packed with all his favourites - that way I don't have to cook for him when he comes home, as he loves his traditional stodge and I always make enough to feed a small army :eek:

Anyhows, just as I'm finishing the last batch, he calls to tell me that he's going straight from this job to the next one, and instead of being here for my friend's wedding, my last day at work (which will be emotional as I've been there 15 years) and my first day in my new job, he'll not now be home until the end of May. We have less than a fortnight together, and then he's gone again until the middle of July. It means that in 16 weeks we'll spend 10 days together. I know it's stupid, it's not like he's in any danger zones - he's a consultant in the oil industry, so I don't have to worry like some of the other ladies on here with OH's in the Forces. Possibly it's just me and my hormones going doolally on CD (my TOTM started unexpectedly this morning), but I completely flipped out on him and ended up shouting at him down the phone, before slamming the phone down on him.

To make things worse, when the shepherds pies came out of the oven, I stuffed a mansized portion down my face, and then followed up with chocolate biscuits, even though I was already feeling sick. How can I be so stupid, just because I'm pee'd off with my OH? Sh*t happens, and I have to learn to deal with it without resorting to food, but right now I feel like a complete failure :sigh:

Sorry for whining, I just needed to get it off my chest.

V x

Oh honey!

It's could have been much worse. And my, I think I would be hacked off too. All this change and no control. Well of course you wanted your new job but I'm sure there is anxiety anyway. But your OH being away so long. That just plain sucks.

That said, I would relish getting my husband out the way for a bit so I can get into ketosis without his constant whining about the death breath!

What about chalking this one up to experience and then getting back in the horse and focusing on home much you can lose before then?

Dont worry I'm always having much bigger blips than that!

Aw thanks for the kind words hun, just knowing somebody on here goes through the same makes me get things back in perspective. I'm disappointed with myself, but I'm not dwelling on it, it's onwards and downwards from here.

Sir has called and apologised... didn't apologise in return, mind you... and yes, it is nice to have the bed to myself at times ;)

Goes through the same thing? I'm the poster girl for this kind of behaviour! But I'm slowly getting there. This week at least!

Back