11 year old girl- How many calories per day or Extra easy?

yorkplumber

Good morning,
My 11 year girl currently weighs 116lb (52.8kg) and is 5 foot 1, She isnt very active apart from a few times a week we go for a walk and walk an average of 2-4 miles. Does anyone know how many calories the average girl of this age and height should be eating?
Would she have better/quicker results on the slimming world diet?

I don't have kids and I was an overweight one so I don't know if I'm 'qualified' to give advice but if it were me I would make her meals SW friendly.
I personally think it's more beneficial to teach children to control their food intake in a manageable and healthy way rather than calorie counting (which after watching numerous shows on anorexia this weekend, can often spiral into an ED...obviously this is not always the case). Similarly SW won't leave her feeling deprived as she'll still be able to have treats.
Good luck and I'm sure whatever you decide will be great given that you've gone to the effort of asking for help/guidance :)

i agree with Jenna... are u following SW? if so just give her what u eat!
all of my children eat the same as me :)xXx

I agree with Jenna, give her slimming world meals and make sure she's snacking on plenty of fruit, but she shouldn't have to control her HEX's (kids are allowed as many as they want) or syns, it's so hard at that age, you want them to be healthy but if your not careful it can go the opposite way.

Personally, I would educate her on the ways of healthy eating & benefits of exercise, than talk about SW/calories/ or any diet. However, if you do have concerns, can you not ask a paediatric dietician what the healthy weight for an 11 year old is & go from there?

I'd be a bit wary of putting an 11year old on a diet of any description. Certainly SW meals are going to be healthy & good for her, but I would probably make sure she eats more healthy a's as she needs the calcium, and more healthy oils like olive oil.

You don't have to control her healthy extras so she could have cheese and salad sandwhich on wholemeal bread? Wholemeal pitta with ham, cheese, salad and a some fruit? You could do her a tuna/sweetcorn pasta with light mayo and put her a couple of babybel cheeses in? Just a few ideas for healthy pack up lunches

yorkplumber said:
I am restarting sw with her as I have a stone to lose. Can anyone offer suggestions on a pack up for school

Do u go to sw meetings? If you do then ur 11yr old can go for free and they're not pushed to lose weight but encouraged to make healthy choices xx

yeh healthy sandwiches, pastas etc are great for pack-up, cheeses etc lots of fruit too! My little one have a little tub for cherry toms and cucumber in theirs too! they love it! :) not like she cant have crisps etc like all the other kids too...quavers, wotsits, french fries etc are all low syn too!
u dont have to "put her on a diet" at 11, just educate her teach her what you have learned so far so she can learn to make the right decisions too :) xXx

Me and my mam were talking about this yesterday cos she didn't bring me up healthy eating probably because she wasn't educated about healthy eating herself so I said it wasnt her fault but if I ever have kids (I'm 23) I want to have them eating healthy meal choices and not pigging out on crap, having controlled treats like maybe saturday nights they can have a pizza for tea as a treat. I don't want to bring them up eating crap and in the fish shop all the time. I think we're more educated now in healthy eating as a nation, there is no excuses is there?

I am agreeing with everyone else don't put her on a diet just change the way you eat and the choices of snacks you have as a family. And make healthy eating exciting there's loads of child friendly slimming world friendly meals we can make! You just have to ask for ideas

yorkplumber said:
I am restarting sw with her as I have a stone to lose. Can anyone offer suggestions on a pack up for school

Pasta and Rice salads are a fab option for the lunch box filled with Veg and cooked meats also you could mix in half a tub of low low cheese spread which Is one hex a . I make what i call frying pan quiche which Is basically a quiche without the pastry great cold served with salad boiled eggs are a great and filling option too or some low syn homemade mackerel paté and crackerbreads

We have made sw a healthy family lifestyle choice rather than a diet diets tend to end and lifestyles keep going i dont want to ever go back to how we used to eat we feel great the way we are now go for it take the plunge today and make it a family mission

I think it's a great idea to start her on slimming world, on the slimming world website there's a separate section for 11-15 year olds called 'Free2go'. However you don't necessarily need to call it 'A diet' or become overly fixated with it. If possible you could guide her as to how to eat 'The slimming world' way without actually signing her up to the 'diet'- e.g. just tell her she can eat lots of healthy fruit and veg and other 'free foods' each day, and probably should just have one treat per day.

For 'Free2go' you're allowed a few more healthy extras- encourage her to get plenty of milk and yoghurt because a. they've found a high calcium intake aids weight loss, and b. her bones are still forming and with an inadequate calcium supply she could end up with osteoporosis when she's older. It says that for teens the HE-A and HE-B should make up 15% of their food intake.

Then they can have as many free foods as they like.

The other main thing for Free2go is to allow one treat per day- although keeping it under 15 syns is a good idea, it's not all-essential- so 1 chocolate bar, bag of crisps or cake per day.

xxx

How does your daughter feel about her weight? Does she want to lose weight, if not you may struggle to get her to eat healthy meals.

For pack up, I'd try & keep it simlar to what her friends are having, eg if they are having sandwiches, crisps, biscuits, yogurts, I'd make her the same but SW friendly, that way she won't feel like she's the odd one out, eg you could subsitute crisps for low syn crisps, biscuits for hexb bar (can only think of Alpen light, but she wouldn't want to eat that infront of her mates), & low fat yogurt.

You say you like walking, as a family we love geocaching, it's a fun way to have a walk, you don't need a gps, a gps enabled mobile will work just as well, for more info go to www.geocaching.com

There is an 11 year old at out class and for her the emphasis seems to be on her being more active. She does a lot of trampolining and does active games on her Wii eg Just Dance, she's doing fantastically and seems to be enjoying it. Does your daughter enjoy anything like that?

Hi, she wants to lose weight because she is teased at school about her weight. According to the BMI scale she is slightly overweight but she has become more reclusive since she put on a few lbs, her confidence has decreased also. Basically, little girls Can be nasty and although she is big height wise I don't want her to go to secondary school feeling depressed so I want to act now. She has been taking pesto pasta to school for packups but all her friends refused to sit with her because they didn't like the smell of it!!!!
We then tried tuna pasta but she doesn't seem to be losing anything which is why I wanted to shift over to sw. The worsen thing is, she doesn't over eat, she makes good choices but she has developed a little pot belly.

Maybe she could do with more excersise then? Have u both got bikes you could go on bike rides together and walks or swimming although that would be more expensive.

we go walking often and she does boxing on a tuesday night so she gets a decent amount of exercise. Her daily diary looks a little like this
a bowl of cereal - bran flakes or weetabix with an apple
packup - tuna/sweetcorn pasta
sw chips and pork chop with runner beans and gravy.
For supper she will have a pink and white or a bag of skips/quavers

Back