12 months only

poppy100

Silver Member
Have others been told they can only have orlistat for 12 months. practice nurse says i can get them each month only if i lose weight or they will stop them which is ok but she went on to say i will have to come off them after 12 months with a possibility of going back on them after 6 months being without them. what is everyone else's experience. just feelilng a bit panicky.

The doctor didn't say anything to me about that but i guess their logic would be that after a year you should of lost enough to carry on on your own? #scarythoughts

I have seen the nurse today for my monthly weigh in & she didn't say anything but it is my intention to stop the prescription in April when I have review with the Dr. I will still be on them but as I have a big stockpile I don't need a prescription for any more after then.... Well at least I don't think I do!!! I was told you can stay on them until your bmi is below 30 & you are losing weight (they accept a blip but if you gain 2 months running at our surgery its bye bye xen), never been told a timescale....... Don't panic. My advice is stop taking them with breakfast so you will have some too if they stop them xx

my doc just says i have to lose some weight to get my next pack. like u lexie i want to come off them soon but i dont think im ready yet. they stop me from eating naughty foods. but i feel like i have added stress knowing i have to lose a good amount of the weight to get my doc to give me my nxt pack. i guess in a way its something to aim for x

Kayee have you tried cutting down from 3 a day, I went down to one a day & now only have one every other day (sometimes only every 3 days) & the fear of the tango man visiting as its still in my system has been enough up to now. It is very possible that with so little in my system it wouldn't do anything but I don't intend to test it x

Kayee have you tried cutting down from 3 a day, I went down to one a day & now only have one every other day (sometimes only every 3 days) & the fear of the tango man visiting as its still in my system has been enough up to now. It is very possible that with so little in my system it wouldn't do anything but I don't intend to test it x

no i havent yet hon. i dont know why. maybe i just get into my head that breakfast has a small amount of fat but it still has a bit in it so i take it. i know i shud stockpile like you but i think in a way im scared to come off them. i dont think im strong enough yet. i know i cant eat naughty foods while im on orlistat cos i dont want the side effects but im not sure if i cud control myself if i wasnt on xenical. like you said b4 its like a comfort blanket xx

ah thanks everyone. i think i might stop the breakfast one on and start stockpiling!

I just have to lose some weight to get the next pack, I have no idea how long that will go on. I only take 2 per day. Kayee, remember, even at 2 a day the Xen is still in there doing a great job, and if you eat anything you shouldn't, even for breakfast, then you'll know all about it.
Poppy, don't worry, try living in the here and now as regards these tablets because I think our whole mindset changes as we move along the line, by the time a year is up you may feel completely differently about it all.

KB x

Think I am going to just start taking 2 a day... My next tough decision will be deciding how many to take a day when I am in Vietnam in 5 weeks .. Any thoughts ladies? X

My dr mentioned perhaps taking a break after a year of taking them bc they have no long term research on health impact of long term usage of xen!

I was kinda like mmmm maybe not convinced but maybe she's right no other medication would be prescribed long term without some sort of change so I'm considering taking a couple of months off just to make sure my body ad digestive system is ok!

Wouldn't like to think I'd damaged myself. Lol xx

Mizkirsty said:
My dr mentioned perhaps taking a break after a year of taking them bc they have no long term research on health impact of long term usage of xen!

I was kinda like mmmm maybe not convinced but maybe she's right no other medication would be prescribed long term without some sort of change so I'm considering taking a couple of months off just to make sure my body ad digestive system is ok!

Wouldn't like to think I'd damaged myself. Lol xx

Miz Kirsty I am missing your red sparkly shoes although I do like your polka dot bikini :) x

Haha I've done it as I want to wear this bikini (well one very similar) on my holiday in Florida in June so I've done it that so every time I log in I'll see it and it'll hopefully motivate me! But my sparkly shoes will be back after ;) lol zx

Mizkirsty said:
Haha I've done it as I want to wear this bikini (well one very similar) on my holiday in Florida in June so I've done it that so every time I log in I'll see it and it'll hopefully motivate me! But my sparkly shoes will be back after ;) lol zx

You will be rocking that bikini in Florida! X

Think I might start a little savings fund so I can buy some alli if Istill need it after a year. It's half strength and mybe more appropriate if I get my BMI to 30 after a year?

PurpleMum said:
Think I might start a little savings fund so I can buy some alli if Istill need it after a year. It's half strength and mybe more appropriate if I get my BMI to 30 after a year?

That's a good idea too x

LisaM1977 said:
You will be rocking that bikini in Florida! X

I hope so - I've never worn one!! I just hope I feel good enough to wear one! Lol x

PurpleMum said:

I have half a jar of alli (I used it before getting a prescription!) I keep for emergencies ie no xen. But it's the expense compared with a prescription charge! X

think i might consider ali if needed but it is expensive. still theres loads of time yet and maybe i will feel confident to manage on my own.

Back