12stone to lose and so confused

slimming2bmummy

Hi I'm new haven't been on site for over a year and looking for a big of advice. I haven't always been overweight was always 11 stone, however, 4 miscarriages over last 5 years have led to me comforting eating my way through to 22 stone. I managed to lose 2 stone however, another miscarriage has seen me put it all back on. I am now at a crossroads where the nhs won't look into the reasons for my losses until I lose weight. However, I have no idea how to do it. When I was slim I would hit the gym and lose any extra pounds however, I joined the gym a month ago and the man who did my induction was so rude I never went back. I have no idea what exercise to do now because cant physically do what I used to do. I joined sw on Monday but am finding it really confusing plus I comfort eat so whereas a normal person may not over eat I can eat masses so not sure if free food will work. Can't afford lighter life or anything like that.

Was just wondering what you have all found best way to lose weight quickly?x

Lovely S2BMummy,

First - congratulations on making a decision to change. It's not easy to change 5 years of eating patterns. So you should be really pleased with yourself for taking action.

I'm not suprised the gymn guy was a ********. If you want to exercise, think about walking programmes - google walking weight loss and you'll find some ideas on how to do it, or get a pedometer and get your daily paces up to 12,000 a day. However maybe getting food intake sorted is your first priority.

I definitely recommend you stick with SW and post on their boards for advice and support on working out the SW system. It always takes time to make any changes - so give it a chance and take some time to do the planning for your food and snacks day by day. People get great results with it and it works for those of us with lots to loose.

People also recommend the Beck Solution as a way to look at handling comfort eating.

keep posting and take care of yourself,

Ali

Hiya, sorry to hear about all of your losses. If you are interested in a diet similar to LL but without the expense then you ought to consider Exante. Have a look at the VLCD/ Exante section of this site. It's a fraction of the price (£100 per month) and just as good!

Cx

Hi there!

I started at a similar weight to yourself (I was 22 1/2 stone) and i started sw in April of last year.

I comfort ate- a lot, before starting, and I struggled for probably a week or 3, with the concept of eating the free food until i was satisfied. i have a big appetite and just felt like i was eating a lot.

After a month or so, I really got into the swing of it. I got used to the whole plan- the healthy extras, free food, superfree food and syns.

It's a lot to take in at first- you started less than a week ago- give yourself a chance! At least give it the 4 weeks- if you follow the plan, keep a food diary and stay within your syns- if you havent lost weight in 4 weeks you get your money back! You might as well wait it out that long, if you lose weight, great, it's working! If you haven't lost weight, then you get your money back and you can try something else.

When I started I was in a rush to lose the weight- I wanted to lose 10 stone in a matter of months. But I'm actually glad I haven't lost it extremely fast (even though I've lost on average, just under 2.5lb a week). It gave me time to adjust to my head stuff- to deal with WHY I was comfort eating and what to do when I feel the urge. I've coped with this a lot better than I thought I would have done, but I didn't expect losing weight to be this hard, mentally and emotionally.

It's a big change, it's hard to explain really. It is definitely, absolutely worth it though!

So be kind to yourself, take it easy and give yourself *time* to adjust to the plan. The weight took a while to go on- it won't go overnight (as people kept telling me!)

If you're stuck or confused, this forum is great for extra support- and of course, there is always your consultant- who is there when you need them. Just give him/her a text if you need support, I'm sure they'll have a chat with you, that's what they're there for!!

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do :)

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I think Slimming World is great if you have a big a appetite. You can eat so much food, it's great! I've lost 12.5lbs in 2 weeks of Slimming World. I have never felt hungry once! It is a bit complicated to understand at first, you just need to change snacks such as crisps, chocolates, fizzy drinks etc. into healthier food. I've made up a few dishes of fruit and put them in a fridge, so when I feel hungry I can grab one at snack on them (I don't always feel like preparing food and I noticed this is where I go wrong). For example today, my meal plan is:
Breakfast - Scrammbled eggs on toast with mushrooms
Lunch - Jacket potato with baked beans and salad
Dinner - Bacon Burger with Chips (making my own burger with extra lean mince beef and making the 'slimming world syn free chips' - you can find how to make the chips on the website, they're simple to make).
Snacks: Fresh Fruit, and Turkey rolled up with couscous inside. (I prepared the snacks this morning so they're already avalible for me to eat when I feel peckish)

I have found LOADS of recipie ideas on the Slimming World website, otherwise I wouldn't of known what to make myself. I HATE thinking of what to eat! I go shopping twice a week, the night before I go shopping I think up for a few days worth of meals and plan them, write everything I need down and can buy it in. I also have made a couple of cottage pies and frozen them incase I have one of those days.

I am sorry to hear about your losses by the way, it must be so horrible for you - I don't blame you for turning to food, I think I would as well. As for the guy at the gym, what a f*****g idiot! A gym is meant to be for everybody, whether you're young, old, slim or bigger - you shouldn't let him treat you like that, I would just go anyway! If you don't feel like going to the gym, perhaps you could invest in an exercise bike for at home?

Good luck :)

Hey,
I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I couldnt imagine going through what you went through. Well done for deciding you want to do something about your weight and your ready to make a change.
You did the right thing choosing slimming world! Ive been doing it for 5 weeks now and I have lost 1 stone 9.5 pounds! Thats with two nights out and not going hungry ONCE! I am a picker between meals but ive been making a big pan of lovely butternut and corriander soup and snacking on that when ever I feel hungry. I most days I only have 5 syns a day because I dont need to have more than that because I am filling myself up with all the free food!
Just give it a try. Just eat as much as you want as long as you are sticking to the rule of every meal have a 3rd super free and I promise youll be fine! Read some of the success stories and it will give you tips on how other people have done it and it gives you a lot of motivation.
As for exercising, I havnt gotten stuck into the whole exercise routine yet but Ive been doing the odd Zumba session on the wii which really gets you going. Try out the exercise DVDs or dance games! They are really good.
Good luck with your weight loss hun.
xx

Hello and welcome, sorry to hear about the miscarriages, and shame on the bloke at the gym.

I do walking and go on my exercise bike, and used to swim, going to start this up again I think soon.

Hey there , so sorry to hear your news I suffered a miscarriage earlier last year also and piled a load of weight on too. Think the hardest thing about it is changing the mind set of comfort eating, I really enjoyed sw when I dd it but got a bit bored as I'm veggie so every day was a green day !!! But I know it's changed now.
However the best thing you have done is make a start so congratulations. I have joined a gym many times over and finally realised that for me it's a waste of money, makes Me feel bad as I don't go which makes me comfort eat ! ( took me many years to work this out though!) I saved my money, bought a wii fit and do a bit of walking! I'm really sorry you had a horrible experience there but sadly it doesn't surprise me . I had a similar experience years ago.
Good luck with your progress and Stick with it.
Xxx

Slimming2BMummy,

I am hoping you've decided what plan will work for you and are making a start. Each journey needs to start with a single step. Many directions will get you good results - so do join with us on the journey and post how it's going or when you will start. You'll find friends in the forum for whichever system you decide to follow.

Ali

Back