1st Weigh in and feel like Cra@p

Java1975

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if they had lost a small number on there first weigh in ? I am so cheesed off because I only lost 1-1/2 lb. In the past I have always lost over 5lb in my first week. I felt so embarrased and fed up that I didnt stay to class. I need to lose 6 stone so I have a great deal of weight to lose and im not sure if I could stick the long road of 1.1/2 each week.

Has anyone got any advice or comments x

Hi Java. Please don't feel awful. My sig doesn't show it, but my very first week loss when I first started wasn't impressive. I felt so stupid as everyone else seemed to be losing half a stone! I always wanted the big losses, and when others are doing 3-4lbs every week it does make you feel like you've failed. But my husband said to me 'Imagine you lost one pound every week for a year? That's over 3st." Those big losses are not always sustainable, but regularly chipping away at your weight is. I also remember one lady having a very small loss her first week, and really making up for that the next so it's possible it's not a true reflection of what you've done so far. Also, stay to group next week. I always find it's a slippery slope once you leave, particularly if you've not achieved what you wanted. However the motivation you get from others is very real, and if you have a good consultant they will help you too. It really allows you to draw a line under the last week and get going with a positive mind set for the next. I found once I missed a group the negativity was still there and affected me for the rest of the week.

Please stick with it, you WILL get there! xxx

Hi java1975

I felt exactly the same as you on my first week, I only lost 1lb + the 2 people I joined with both had big losses. I felt really disheartened but I have now lost nearly 4st those small losses really do add up + are sustainable for life. Please don't give up, I promise you it will be worth it :)
Have a great week!

I had exactly the same experience I only lost 1lb I was mortified!

But actually now I look and think the ladies that lost big numbers that same week are actually no longer at Sw so my little lb was only the beginning! X

my cousin is my slimming world partner lol she lost 1.5 week one then 4pound week 2!! bet you have a bigger one next week. but if not, like everyone else says, imagine losing 1pound every week its good going really!! slow gradual and it will keep off better in the long run.

My first w i loss was 2.5lbs, the next week was the same, the next week was one lb. We are all different, the people who joined with me lost 5 the first week! BUT I kept on going, kept on staying to I T, some weeks only losing half a pound as I got near to target, but do you know what............ I got there in the end and have been at target for 10 months and still go every week. Little by little, a dripping tap still fills a bucket, and yr tap is dripping! :) :) :)

My first w i loss was 2.5lbs, the next week was the same, the next week was one lb. We are all different, the people who joined with me lost 5 the first week! BUT I kept on going, kept on staying to I T, some weeks only losing half a pound as I got near to target, but do you know what............ I got there in the end and have been at target for 10 months and still go every week. Little by little, a dripping tap still fills a bucket, and yr tap is dripping! :) :) :)

i always think that staying to group helps me? i see loads of people just weighing and going and whats the poing? we spend 4.95 a week whats the point in spending that and not getting every single benefit from it? i enjoy group and it gives me a bit of a buzz, to carry on for the next week. theres only been one time when ive not stayed to group.

and youre right about the dripping tap too, little and consistent is the best way to go!

Hi, don't be too hard on yourself our bodies are a mystery. I started at 15.2, lost 1lb in my first week but a whopping 6 in my second week. I started in January and now weigh 12.8. Slimming world really works. Some weeks you'll have a small loss and others will be bigger it's just the way it goes. You might be like me and get sow in week 2, your not eligible at week one anyway! Chin up xx

Try not to feel disheartened, I know everyone would like big losses all the time, particularly at the start but everyone is different.
It's hard to take but as long as it's coming off/you're not putting weight on then you're on the right track. I've been disappointed on the weeks when I've lost a pound but I keep telling myself that they all add up and a pound off is better than a pound on. Good luck and I hope you get a better loss this week :)

You've had some great advice! I just wanted to pick up on this:

Hi All

I need to lose 6 stone so I have a great deal of weight to lose and im not sure if I could stick the long road of 1.1/2 each week.

I found it helpful to think of it this way when I started SW (and still do!): if you weren't losing 1-2lbs a week (a healthy loss, and what you should expect, to be honest, even if you were to have a couple of big losses at the start of a diet), what would you be doing? Probably either maintaining or - at least, for me - gaining more weight. It didn't go on instantly, so you're not going to lose it instantly. It may be a long road, but it has a great destination :D And slimming world is such an enjoyable way of eating that it shouldn't be a painful year or so of your life, either!

metrognome said:
i gained in my first week, how ashamed do you think i felt

I'm convinced this will be me. Ive always been a calorie counter so I am like a child in a sweet shop with all these yummy unmeasured things like pasta rice and potatoes!!! BUT I'm cooking every thing from scratch. I've not had anything processed or laden with sugar and salt. I'm eating millions of veg. Nutritionally my diet is the best it's ever been. I think I'll get there with my portion control by week two. I'm noticing some restraint creeping in after four days.

And the cravings really do stop after a while on S W. Been doing it for 17 months now and dont crave choc or bad things anymore. :)

i gained in my first week, how ashamed do you think i felt

Oh god, i bet you felt awful about it. I had a really big loss in my first week, but then it was the first time i had attempted any kind of diet. Maybe my body was in shock. SW seems to work for loads of people though, and while 1 1/2 doesnt seem spectacular. If you think about it, there are 35 weeks between now and Christmas, thats over fifty pounds.

I think the original poster would be happy if by Christmas they had lost fifty pounds!

You've had some great advice! I just wanted to pick up on this:

I found it helpful to think of it this way when I started SW (and still do!): if you weren't losing 1-2lbs a week (a healthy loss, and what you should expect, to be honest, even if you were to have a couple of big losses at the start of a diet), what would you be doing? Probably either maintaining or - at least, for me - gaining more weight. It didn't go on instantly, so you're not going to lose it instantly. It may be a long road, but it has a great destination :D And slimming world is such an enjoyable way of eating that it shouldn't be a painful year or so of your life, either!

Great way to look at it. Me personally i have a lot to lose, and try not to look beyond the next half stone award, because when I think I've got like 7 stone 5 left to lose to be a healthy weight for my height is daunting!! But I know if I take it one step at a time I will get there

Hi Java

Just read though this thread & found it really encouraging. Like you I was gutted my first week as I stuck to the plan religiously, stepped on the scales & lost..... 1lb ! Others in the class had big losses even though they've been doing it for some time. This is the first time Ive tried SW & thought "this diet obviously isn't for me" as I've always lost 3-4 lbs on a first week. Anyway stuck with it & when I went the following week lost a further 4.5 lbs. Massive smiles then! :D

I know I'm a slow loser & have prepared myself for 1/2 lb - 1lb losses but as long as this happens I'll be fine. Ive now lost 8lbs in 4 weeks which won't set the world alight but I'm dead chuffed. My clothes already feel better (they've stopped groaning at the seams! Lol) By the way, I want to lose at least another 4.5 stones so I know I'm in for the long haul! .

Stick with it & I'm sure it will come off. As someone said, all these little bits add up & soon you'll be a stone down . :)

Good luck & I look forward to reading how you are doing. :)

Last edited:
Drip drip, the bucket is full. You will do this, if I can you can too. My little half pounds became pounds,became 2 stone 5lbs and TARGET!!!! :) :)

Don't lose heart, I had a massive loss first week and gave up :( am now back on the plan at home, with hubby. This week he lost 7lb and I lost 1lb :( we ate same thing, he ate more than me and I have more to lose than him (about 7 stone) but a few days later I stood on the sales and bang 3 more off so u just never know and things fluctuate so much from day to day... hang on in there xxx

I lost a pound my first week, a pound my second week, a pound my third week, a pound my fourth week, and two pound on my fifth week. I was quite disappointed but the thing is with sw I KNOW it's a loss I can keep off. Not like previous diets were I would lose 3 or 4 pound in a week and put it all back on again. Everyone loses weight at different speeds so don't worry about it, think if you lost a pound every week for 14 weeks that would be a whole stone!

Back