2015: The Year of Shorts

I want to start a diary - I *need* to start a diary - to keep me on the straight and narrow. I have just eaten four KitKats. In. A. Row. My willpower has been squashed today. Tomorrow is another day - a new dawn, if I'm to be dramatic. I'm not overweight per se but I'm, what a gym instructor calls, a "skinny fat person". I wear a size 12 but my body is a saggy, flabby mess. I have a 14-month-old daughter and, while I've lost the "baby weight", everything is less elastic than it should be. I've got chunks of fat under my arms, muffin top and a roll of fat on my belly that forms the telltale "W" shape of motherhood. This is all new. My fat bum and thighs are not new. They have been on the scene since 2001. Maybe 1997. Possibly 1985, I was a chunky baby. I haven't worn shorts for 13 years. Same goes for short skirts and dresses. I spent my teens and twenties ashamed of my body. I'm going to be 30 this year and I'm not spending the rest of my life hiding in maxi dresses and capri pants.

So I'm going to lose weight. And tone up. And I'm going to document it all - food diary, weight updates and photos of meals and binges (are new members allowed??). I doubt anyone will read this, it's just for me. Hopefully having to share everything will keep me strong.....

Off to bed. Roll on tomorrow.

So far, so good. It's been an hour and a half but I've not polished off the KitKats. I've weighed myself: 10st 10lbs which, at 5' 5", makes my BMI 25. I'm not medically overweight but I am fat. Calm down! My friend is a stone heavier and a similar height and looks fabulous. She has a completely different build and larger frame. I'd rather be a size 16 and look like her. I have a small frame and should probably be 9 stone.

Decent breakfast so far: 35g porridge oats (HEB) made with 250ml semi-skimmed milk (HEA) and topped with strawberries and cinnamon. Plus a glass of water.
I really want a can of coke.

Green Day

Breakfast: As above, 35g porridge with 250g semi-skimmed milk topped with strawberries and cinnamon

Lunch: syns-free, quorn jambalaya

Dinner: Jacket potato with small tin spaghetti hoops and 30g cheddar

Snacks: Handful of raspberries, fat free vanilla yoghurt, 4 - finger kitkat and small (110cal) dairy milk.

Stuck to plan but should probably not spend all my syns on chocolate.....

Off to the gym for Body Combat

Green Day

Breakfast: Two slices wholemeal toast with butter and honey (HEB plus 6 syns)

Lunch: cream-free carbonara - spaghetti, 30g parmesan (HEA), egg yolk and broccoli.

Dinner: cous cous with pomegranate and 45g feta cheese (HEA); Moroccan stew with squash, courgette and chickpeas

Off for a Zumba class shortly...

Last edited:
Green

Breakfast: Fruit salad of raspberries, strawberries, grapes and banana topped with a cherry mullerlight and 35g muesli (HE B)

Lunch: Leftover Moroccan stew with cous cous and 45g feta (HEA)

Dinner: Spaghetti with syn-free butternut squash sauce, 30g parmesan (HEA) and big salad

No gym but was out with the buggy for ages earlier...

Not the best day....

Breakfast: One slice wholemeal toast (HEB ) with tsp butter (2syns) and one boiled egg.

Lunch: Caught off guard by impromptu cafe visit with a friend. Nothing remotely healthy on offer (for someone who is a vegetarian and hates beans) so had 2 slices wholemeal toast with butter (HEB + 4 syns butter + 6 syns bread). And a diet coke.

Dinner: Syn-free quorn sloppy Joe with syn-free sweet potato fries, sweetcorn, 30g cheddar (HEA) and a wholemeal pitta (6 syns)

After dinner: Massively stressed due to toddler and hubby generally doing my head in so I ate 8 (yes, 8) rich tea biscuits. Felt amazing and awful at the same time. (SYNS?? Maybe 16? 24?) Didn't use all my syns on Tues and none yesterday so let's say it evens out.....

No gym either. Sod the gym. Took bub swimming this morning so probably burned all of 50 calories. Tomorrow is a new day.

Green Day

Breakfast: 2 slices wholemeal toast (HEB ) with 1tbsp peanut butter (4.5 syns)

Lunch: Wholemeal pitta (HEB ) with 2tbsp houmous (4 syns), 45g feta (HEA) and salad

Dinner: basmati rice, mixed veg&quorn curry made with Chinese curry sauce (5 syns)

Snack: 2 ginger snap biscuits (4 syns)

Total syns: 17.5. Still over but didn't use my 2nd HEA if that counts? Bah!!!!

Green Day

Breakfast: 35g porridge (HEB ) with 250ml semi-skimmed milk ( HEA ), cinnamon and raspberries

Lunch: Syn-free vegetable egg - fried rice

Dinner: Homemade chips using 1tbsp extra Virgin olive oil (HEB ), fat free cottage cheese and salad.

Snacks: I made a batch of peanut butter oatmeal cookies and ate them all :-(

Lost 1.5lbs this week though so hurrah!!

Missed a few updates...

Sunday

Breakfast: Slimming world homemade hashbrown, tomatoes and boiled eggs.

Lunch: Harvester. I've gone to Harvester before and managed to stick to plan but I made no attempt this time. Lots of creamy salad
, rolls, mashed potato, ice cream etc.

Dinner: cous cous with 45g feta (HEA), tomatoes and cucumber. 5 mini eggs.

Monday

Breakfast: Mixed fruit, yoghurt and 35g muesli ( HEB )

Lunch: No-cream Spaghetti carbonara with 30g parmesan (HEA), egg yolk, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and a quorn sausage (1 syn)

Dinner: Homemade Tarka Dahl with rice. Wholemeal pitta bread (HEB ) with tsp garlic butter (2syns) plus steamed peas and kale

Snack: half a small buttons easter egg. Don't know the syns....

Tuesday

Breakfast: 35g porridge ( HEB ) with 250ml skimmed milk (HEA), banana and 2tbsp honey (2syns)

Lunch: cous cous with tomatoes, cucumber and feta. Wholemeal pitta bread with 1tsp garlic butter (2syns)

Dinner: syn free veg egg - fried rice. Mayflower chinese sauce (5 syns)

Snacks: bag chocolate buttons (9syns)

I keep going over my syns!!!!!!!! OH keeps buying chocolate :-(

Wednesday

Breakfast: Mixed fruit with muller and 35g muesli ( HEB )

Lunch: Leftover syn-free vegetable egg - fried rice with curry sauce (5syns)

Snack: Caramel egg (9syns)

Dinner: mix of slimming world chips and sweet potato fries topped with quorn chilli and 60g cheddar (HEAx2)

Stayed on plan, hurrah!

Hi there. New members are welcome!

I'm maintaining but I still have a big bum and chunky legs and I doubt that they'll ever go - it's all in the genes, you know ;). Unlike you, though, I live mostly in (flared) skirts and dresses as I find it impossible to find trousers to fit said bum and legs and my waist. I've given up on jeans! However, my skirts have shortened from mid-calf to knee and that'll do me, but then, I'm an older person and fear looking like mutton as lamb.

I also 'suffer' from an OH who keeps buying chocolate - and biscuits and cakes and sweeties - and I absolutely love chocolate! Sometimes I can ignore it, other times I can't and once I start, it's hard to stop again.

Well done on tackling things now and not leaving it as I did. It doesn't sound as though you need to lose weight or at most, not very much, but just need to tone up and you've made a start on that. Could you do some cycling? Perhaps with one of those children's seats that you tow behind you? Little one might like that.

Good luck.

Thank you!! Needed the encouragement today. Ahh yes - if I get jeans etc to fit my thighs I have to use a belt as they'll be too big for my waist. We're hoping to start cycling as soon as the weather improves. We don't own bikes but can hire them at a few places near us (expensive though - might be better to just buy a couple). Hopefully that will help me tone up - bub will Def go on the back of hubby's though as I'd be too scared I'd fall. I'm going to body combat every week and go to yoga or zumba when I can. OH works crazy hours so there's only a couple of nights I can get out. I'd love to go more xx

Thursday

Breakfast: 35g porridge ( HEB ) with 250ml semi-skimmed milk ( HEA ) and some sweetener

Lunch: big bowl of pasta and veg with 100g low - fat creme fraiche (5syns - surprisingly low) and 30g cheddar

Didn't end up having anything else as I've not been hungry and been pretty busy. Could eat now but it's getting late and eating late makes me feel minging.

Have successfully avoided chocolate all day. Much prefer using syns on things like creme fraiche, curry sauce, gravy etc.

Back