Tipperary wobbles into 2024

Morning a very quick hello as my eyes are stinging and i have to keep blinking to see the screen. I think i have hayfever. Ive been sneezing a little bit but woke up with sore eyes on Friday and they have been getting worse. They are so bad that the tears are burning my skin and i have welts under my eyes. Im using drops now snd think inhave clarityn or piriton somewhere, will check in a minute. Busy weekend and had lots of food and drink and carbs and even Chinese takeaway. But today is Monday so back on track.
Talk later

I've had sinusitis over the last couple of days again. Dr usually gives me anti b's and steroids but decided have had enough of those so used Sainsburys Sinus tabs. Cleared it up in a couple of days.:)

Join me @tipperary to start a fresh.Back on it from today. :)

Ive taken some Piriton, dont feel any different now but am sleepy. Im at my desk in my PJs. Its the first time since lockdown that i havent been dressed before 7.30 am

Hi all, sorry been mad busy and eating like a pig and am the size of one now.
Reading here in the middle of the night as just cant sleep. It seems the hayfever may be triggered by the sweetcorn pollen in the polytunnel, its so thick you can taste it in the air. So trying to take short bursts at a time in it.
Will keep reading and will be back tomorrow to catch up.

Oh hun that's awful - i get hayfever so know how like an endless cold it can be!

Sounds like the sweetcorn might have to go outside, help the pollen disperse.

And yes ditto what Mary says, hurry back, we miss you x

Ok big post so might do it in bits. Re the hayfever, a mask probably would help but i only remember the issue afterwards when i start to sneeze. Its the same with antihistamines, i dont want to take them all the time but do plan on taking them on gardening days but then forget and only realise when i sneeze. Its not a major thing though, its only an issue if my eyes are bad and i have to work cos work now involves staring at a computer screen for 7 hours.
I was listening to a gardening podcast and the guy on was talking about the natural antihistamine found in nettles. That when you get stung by them it releases it into your body. Its why people who get regularly stung dont feel it as much, the first sting of the year is the worst. Anyway it got me thinking, when i have hayfever and then get stung i feel the sting worse and you know that tingle you get with it, well that tingle also happens in my head, my scalp just seems to shiver.
So i reckon there is something to it, i need to get stung by nettles every day

So i weighed myself on Friday morning and I am 86kg. That is the heaviest i have ever been. Remember i am under 5 feet so that is much to much.
So i need to tackle it immediately. My hip is sore again so i havent been walking at all. But its a viscous circle, being heavy is aggravating my hip but my hip is preventing exercise. So i need to figure something out. The local pool has reopened but with huge limitations and not really practical right now.
Ive also started to snore really bad and even think i have some sleep apnoea. My neck and chin just seem to choke me at night.
I think i need a strict cleanse over a few days to get me kickstarted and then a keto style approach but more plant based and some carbs. Intermittent fasting suits me too.

Me again, so i have spent the last week making a major decision and i am changing jobs. Lockdown made me realise how much i hate my job. As some of you know for various family reasons i changed careers about 3 years ago and was looking for a permanent job in the public service. I applied at the same time to the 3 main public bodies and after some local temporary contracts got a full time position in the nearest city. But it meant a commute. But we do have a mobility option and after 2 years served i can move to a local office. This was always my plan and i qualify for this next April. I also have 6 weeks off starting in Sept so its not that far away. But they have indefinitely cancelled the mobility option so i dont know how long i sm stuck there. I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I get on great with some of my colleagues and really dont want to leave them, senior management though is a total joke and the place is so mismanaged. The work is vital and interesting but the way we do it and our systems stuck in the stone age. Its a public office so you get abuse all day long. However now that i have been working from home i realise that the public interaction is what made it interesting.
Anyway, i got offered a position from another public body locally and they need me to start ASAP. So after much thinking i said yes. It doesn't suit me perfectly now but it will once the winters sets in and i am commuting again. My husband is in a high risk category for covid19 and we have had no interaction with anyone outside our household since lockdown. Ive not been to the office since march 11th and leave the house to shop once a week. This job would mean returning to the world. But i did speak to someone working there and its not a public office and each office has a max of 2 people. And its close enough to come home for lunch if i am more comfortable with that. So ive said yes and im still not sure how i feel about it. I am in a vital role now and dont want to be seen to be abandoning it. But i am moving to another vital role, i will be working for the HSE which is our equivalent of the NHS.
My supervisor knows as she will be contacted for a reference but i havent handed in notice yet, they say not too until clearance is complete. However this leaves her in an awkward position. Our team of 15 is being rejigged to divide the work as we lose 3 members this month. We work in small teams of 3 and her plan was for her to go to another team and leave me and my desk mate alone as a team of two as we work really well together. Anyway, when i go that wont work but as i havent handed in notice she cant say anything and i feel bad for putting her in that position. Also losing 4 members together will be a huge blow.
But i cant worry about that, i need to do whats best for me. I will lose my 6 weeks off though which i was really looking forward to.

Ive spent the weekend cooking, not diet food though, i was cooking glut food. We picked the last of the redcurrants so i made redcurrant jam, redcurrant and chilli preserve and cooked the last of them with a small amount of sugar and froze them. We picked about 5kg.
I also bought to many eggs and cartons of milk. So i made 10 waffles and 20 pancakes and have them frozen. Plan today is to make more pancakes and stuff them with courgettes and freeze. I didnt pick any courgettes yesterday so reckon i will have about 6 today ready to pick.

Plan for today is lots of water, mint tea snd nettle tea. I have soup made for lunch, chicken stock with courgette, leeks, carrot and cauliflower. I think i will have scrambled eggs and sourdough for breakfast rather than a smoothie or fasting. I had lunch at 3pm yesterday and no dinner so am hungry.

8oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bread soda, not quite a full tsp

Stir in together

1oz butter
Rub in

5oz grated cheddar
Grated courgette, I didn’t weigh it but for this amount maybe one medium. About in volume the same amount as you have cheese
I grated the courgette before I started and let some of the liquid run out first and squeezed more out
Stir these through

1 egg
tsp mustard
buttermilk, again I just added enough milk to bring it to a dough but the recipe says to put the egg in a measuring jug and bring it up to 5oz with the milk. But sure who has a measuring jug.
Stir these into the dough, roll out, cut and bake at 180 degrees

If you don’t have buttermilk use fresh milk but replace the bread soda with baking powder
I doubled this and made 36 small scones, just the right size to have as a small roll with soup.

The courgette doesn’t really add any flavour but keeps them moist and we can pretend they are healthier.
You could add chives, parsley, scallions, chilli, whatever

Mine are now in the freezer and 1 bag will stay there and be part of Christmas dinner

I've got loads of courgettes too, im not sure why I planted so many, my kids don't even like them haha. But they are so satisfying to grow, I've just been giving them away

I've got loads of courgettes too, im not sure why I planted so many, my kids don't even like them haha. But they are so satisfying to grow, I've just been giving them away

You are right, they are so satisfying to grow. They say an average family needs 2 plants to feed them through the season. So we have 14 plants. Im now picking about 8 courgettes every second day and eating the majority, some have been cooked in different meals and frozen. I am having them in at least 2 meals a day.

Back