Tipperary wobbles into 2024

Thanks just back and eating a stir fry with chicken breast, konjac noodles, veg and a good dose of chilli/ginger/garlic that I have pre-chopped in oil.
I think today will be my hardest day yet as usually when I come home from the bakery I have a pizza and lie on the couch for the day with some wine and a box set on TV.
I will see if I am up to a walk later and hopefully knitting while watching TV will keep me away from the wine.

I have lost 1.2kg in a week (though how do I get the fishy to move, I have updated my ticker).

I have been eating sensibly and trying to exercise. I got to go swimming three times last week and hope to go more next week. A walk when I can helps too.
I have increased my intake of veg and fruit and dropped the stodgy starches and greasy foods. But I have been very bloated he past few days and full of wind. I am assuming it is the increase in fibre but yesterday it was very painful, I had trapped wind everywhere and looked (and felt) 24 months pregnant. It seems to have eased this morning.

I am looking for suggestions to replace "tea and biscuits" or "coffee and cake", that 11 o clock treat or 4 o clock nibble. The cake is all gone and I have replaced the chocolate and nut biscuits with digestives but does anyone have any better ideas.

Full of wind again yesterday. Today is Saturday and we have to go to a party in Dublin. I will do my best to stay sensible but am not going to be too strict...it is a party.
I am not going to have my smoothie today, I am wondering if that is the cause of the wind and don't want any today.
1.2kg down and I am feeling a bit better (apart from the wind). I am sleeping more comfortably and going for a walk is a bit easier and quicker and staying comfortable while doing it. While I only did 4.5km yesterday it was pushing a toddler in a buggy and dragging a dog and I had no sore muscles or bones after it. We got to see a tractor ploughing followed by hundreds of gulls, cows mooing and new baby lambs, both toddler and doggy where very happy. I live in rural Ireland so lots of places to walk to. I enjoy walking and could go for much longer walks except I always need to pee when I am out:oops:, about an hour is my limit before need a bathroom. On a nice day I can walk to the lake, it is 4km there but has a bathroom, well 3 in a pub, a café and a sailing centre. Maybe next week I might take toddler and dog on a nice day. The weather is still very unpredictable.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lovely walking area - and awww little lambs, they are so cute! :).

Well done on the loss so far Tipp, that's great. To move the fishy thing, I think you click on the bar, which should take you to the Ticker Factory site and you log in and update your details there. it sometimes takes a while for the fishy thing to catch up.

Sorry about the wind - carbs maybe, or lots of beans? :)

To move the fishy thing, I think you click on the bar, which should take you to the Ticker Factory site and you log in and update your details there. it sometimes takes a while for the fishy thing to catch up.

Sorry about the wind - carbs maybe, or lots of beans? :)

Thanks, I had all that done but then read this site only uploads the changes you make each night.
No beans, I think it is just all the fibre, I am having eggs but they don't normally cause wind. Its a bit easier today.

Congrats on the weight loss and getting that little fishy moving :)

Frustrating waiting for good weather, but hopefully with summer on the way we can have a little more chance of good walking weather more often xx

Hi Tipperary, just been reading your diary! I hope you do update with your food - you like similar food to me by the sounds of it, so I really enjoy reading about it! I love konnyaku noodles too in stir fries.
Sweet snacks - on the biscuit line, Lotus biscuits are great. They're the individually wrapped caramelised biscuits you get in cafes sometimes (I think they're about 35 calories each). You can get them from Amazon in a pack of 300! You can get them at the supermarket but they're not individually wrapped. I also put some of those tesco brownie bites in the freezer, and eat them from frozen (45calories each I think). Or satsumas.... But they might not be quite the same treat :) I also make agar jelly with agar agar powder and pureed fruit... Going to make some more of that tomorrow with some strawberries!
PS I'm a daily weigher too :)

Thanks, I might check and see how many calories are in a digestive. Yes, I remember those lotus biscuits, I find them a bit sweet.

Well went to Dublin yesterday for a party and had promised to be sensible but not too strict. The universe must have been conspiring to help me, there wasn't really much in the menu I wanted. I ordered tomato and goats cheese bruschetta to start, my SIL liked the look of it so I shared it with her. I eat chicken but not much other meat, the chicken on the menu was deep fried so I asked for the vegetarian options. The choices were pasta or risotto, both heavy with cream or cheese so I asked for just a plate of vegetables. I was thinking of all the sides everyone else had, chips, onions rings, salad, garlic potatoes, potato gratin, creamed tomatoes, cauliflower cheese....not all of them but a selection. Well I got a plate of steamed carrots, broccoli and mangetout....the chef decided I needed healthy food. I was to organise the cake....but I was busy so didn't, and no one else did either. I don't normally eat dessert but at dessert time anyway I ended up bringing the baby out for a mini walk.
It's a lovely day today and I'd like to take the dog for a walk by the river but I also want to take darling husband for a swim later. I have two job applications to fill out and need to go into town and clean the office and do the shopping so not sure how much time I will have.
I will start with breakfast first I think.

My go-to low calorie coffe-time treats are Alpen Light and, more recently, Fibre One bars - the lemon or chocolate, both delicious! In the evening I always have a Malteser Teaser bar - that's my daily reward for being good! :) xx

I must check all the cereal bars in the supermarket later, so many have added sugar or hidden fats and it is so easy to eat a huge amount if bad things without realising.

I have just checked and 1 digestive is 73 calories and the 20g chocolate is 115 calories, neither too bad but would add up quickly if having a lot.

Weight watchers do some biscuits that they pack in individually wrapped pairs.

Slim fast does a great caramel snack bar for 100 cals - bit like a mars bar but smaller and chewier

I also like dairy milk chocolate freddos for 100ish cals each

Thanks, will check them all. I like things to be fairly simple, so chocolate is just chocolate and plain biscuits, I also like oaty bars, so flapjacks and Nature Valley oat cereal bars bu both are high in sugar. I might look for a healthy recipe and make some,

Well Sunday was my downfall. A normal Sunday for us is I get up, go for a walk, clean the kitchen, go shopping, cook lunch and then open the wine and we may have a family lunch together with food and wine. Then I veg out for the afternoon watching re runs of Downton Abbey with wine (I don't have much to do on Mondays). This Sunday we had no one for lunch and my plan was a quick walk and then a long swim about 5pm. But it was a lovely day so I got darling husband to come for a walk with me and we stayed out for about 90 minutes walking through fields by the river. We were exhausted when we got back and my back was a bit sore so after a good (and sensible) lunch I decided that swimming later wouldn't be practical. I had a job application to fill out and it was a hard one and took about 2 hours (still not finished) and when I was done he had opened the wine. I put "Call the Midwife" on Netflix and that was that, one glass of wine became 3 and a pack of Triple Velvet crisps. Then dinner was a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and a square od chocolate. In my defence I had very little cheese in the sandwich and didn't have any mayonnaise with it and triple velevet crisps are better than a box of pringles. I went to bed at 10pm fell asleep and was wide awake again from midnight to about 4am and when I slept had bad unsettled dreams. My poor liver now is complaining, it was so enjoying it's break from cr*p.

Lesson learnt :whip:

You have to have a treat every now and then Tipp, and just think of all the exercise you did!

It's the pendulum principle - take some off before you put it on :).

Good luck on the job application.

Thanks, just in from a brisk 3.5k walk, done in a comfortable 40 minutes with some quick stops for doggy to pee. need to sit down now and finish that application form.

Application form finally finished and emailed off. I have two more to do this week. What happened to sending off a CV and letter, all these jobs now need detailed application forms and all different, they are taking me up to 4 hours each to do.

Off into town for a swim and some shopping and to see if can buy a new phone.

Oh gosh,yes! Don't worry, we all have days like that, and you enjoyed it at the time! I can't drink some so much either these days, it affects my sleep as well so it's just not worth it! When I remember...!

I feel your pain with the application forms, they really do take so long nowadays. Good luck!

Thanks...I was just annoyed with myself for falling back into a pattern that I am trying to break but as I said lesson learnt as I couldn't sleep at all. And good points to take from it that two glasses would have been plenty and just as enjoyable, and I did buy the low fat crisps to have for munchies days. And my wine quota is now gone for the week.

Nice swim yesterday and plan on another walk now and more swimming later. It wasn't part of my plan to do both each day but I am hoping to go back to full time work soon and then wont have as much time to fit it in. I have applied for ten serious jobs since January, all of which I am completely qualified for, it gets me down when you don't even hear back from them. After Easter I have a part time job sorted for about 8 weeks and have decided if I have nothing full time by then I will stop searching and stick with the part-time and have the summer off and start looking again for September (I work in education so all contract tend to start then). Hopefully the weight loss and exercise will mean I will fit a bit better into my interview suit.

I got a new phone yesterday and have put a new pedometer app on it, its android and none of the apps had great reviews. I have an old iPhone app and so will use both today to see how accurate the new one is.

Up early today and another small weight loss and see to be on track to move my little fishy on Friday.
I walked more than I planned yesterday and then went swimming, it must have been too close because I did 20 lengths and was too tired to continue. Too much too soon. Sat down last night with darling husband and had two glasses of wine with him, it was wonderful, a 2001 Medoc and a lovely way to end the day. But I must find something else to "end" the day with. I am off out to a meeting this morning and then need to do the shopping. I think I will wait until this evening to exercise and it will be a swim or a walk depending on the weather and if husband wants to come along.

Back