20lbs in 6 weeks

RunnerAl

I have been dieting for the past few years and at any one time, I have been anywhere between 14st 7 (24.5 bmi) and 17st (29 bmi). I am currently at the top of the scale and not feeling great for it :(

I'm going back home to my family for Christmas in just over 6 weeks and have decided that I can't let them see me at my worst. So I'm putting my foot down and being scrict with myself between now and then and am determined to get down to 15st 8. I'll probably cut down to around 1500 cals per day and either go to the gym, run or both; who knows, maybe I can actually make it stick this time as opposed to going back to my sinful ways.

I thought if I kept a diary somewhere would help keep me motivated to stay on track!

Hmm.. Not a great first few days but by no means a disaster. It's hard to start a new eating regime half way through the week with a fridge full of crap, especially when it includes 2 bottles of wine. Going to Waitrose in a mo to buy some more appropriate food! My alarm is set for 6 tomorrow, plan is to drag myself out of bed to hit the gym before work, no idea whether it'll happen..

So with a fridge filled with good food, I've made an excellent start to the week.

I only consumed around 1200 cals yesterday (yoghurt+sandwich+ready meal) and went for a 5k run in the evening. I managed a time of just under 27 minutes which won't set the world alight but I though if I took it easy I'd be okay to go again tonight & tomorrow. I haven't managed to get myself to the gym in the morning yet but I'm confident that it will happen eventually! I've eaten very well today (yoghurt+ sandwich again) so far but I'm going for an Italian tonight, so it's going to be tough to resist the nice stuff!

Supposed to be weighing in on Thursday morning but I can never wait a week so I jumped on this morning and I'm 16.11 which is positive; I'll wait until Thurday to make it official though - needs to be 16.10 or below for me to be on track.

Thanks. My gym is ridiculously busy after work, would go then otherwise. Once my body clock is adjusted to getting up at 6, it'll be easy. I can't quite persuade it to snap out of 7 o'clock mode at the moment though :/

Thanks. My gym is ridiculously busy after work, would go then otherwise. Once my body clock is adjusted to getting up at 6, it'll be easy. I can't quite persuade it to snap out of 7 o'clock mode at the moment though :/

Body clock adjustment takes no time at all. I have a (free)sleep app on my phone that wakes me after optimum sleep even if this is before the alarm, it may be worth looking into if you have a smartphone. It has helped me a great deal. Recently I went to bed at 2 and still woke at 6 without the groggy feeling.

Good luck and keep us updated on your journey.

Oh wow what is that app called? I am curious as I have no body clock at all, I am groggy after 4 hours or 10 hours plus anything in between...due to shift work I can't get a sleep pattern but it would be good to know when i've had 'enough' sleep.

Runneral - When are you weighing in? Are you following a particular plan or diet? Good luck on the gym in the morning, I would love to do that but with 7.30 start at work and working through til 10pm some times its just not doable.

Well done Runneral! I've been doing SW for 6 weeks and lost 11 lbs without much exercise and with a 3 1/2 gain one week so I'd say losing 20 lbs in 6 weeks is doable! Best of luck :)

Runneral - When are you weighing in? Are you following a particular plan or diet? Good luck on the gym in the morning, I would love to do that but with 7.30 start at work and working through til 10pm some times its just not doable.

Officially it's Thursday (tomorrow) morning but I normally look during week.

I'm not following a plan as such, but basically I'm eating 3 meals a day and those meals are invariably half a pot of yoghurt for breakfast (around 200 cals) a sandwich for lunch (400) and a ready meal in the evening (500-700). I have the ability to just eat the same things every day and not get bored which makes things easier. I don't really like ready meals as I love to cook but it's an ideal way to control portion size.

Didn't make it to the gym, again. Last night didn't go too well, I chose a healthy option from the menu but my housemate dragged me "out out" afterwards and I consumed far too much alcohol. Got home at 4 but still made it to my desk for 9! Not like me to go out on a school night at all. On the plus side, I've eated as planned today and will go for a run later so I think I'm on track.. just!

Well done Runneral! I've been doing SW for 6 weeks and lost 11 lbs without much exercise and with a 3 1/2 gain one week so I'd say losing 20 lbs in 6 weeks is doable! Best of luck :)

Thank you & congrats on the loss. It is doable but I'm definately going to have to up my game this week as it's birthday weekend and that will most certainly involve some alcohol and rubbish food - will have to add a few miles to my training schedule and run it off!!

Oficially weighed in at 16st10 this morning plus I went to the gym so a double success!! My goal for next week is 16st7 - it would be 16st6 but Saturday is going to be filled with alcohol and fatty food. My target in week 3 will be 4lbs so I'll have to work extra hard.

Well done on your loss so far, it's interesting seeing how others tackle it.

This is my first week and like you, I will be setting family at Christmas and would like to lose 21lbs.

Unlike you, I don't exercise!

Oficially weighed in at 16st10 this morning plus I went to the gym so a double success!! My goal for next week is 16st7 - it would be 16st6 but Saturday is going to be filled with alcohol and fatty food. My target in week 3 will be 4lbs so I'll have to work extra hard.
Well done on the loss. I had a fairly good week last week when it came to food but I was out last Saturday night and had a little too much to drink and I only lost a pound...maybe with your heavy exercise it won't matter but I was shocked how it affected my weight loss. (I've been walking every day for 45 mins). But I suppose at least it was a minus :)

Well done on your loss so far, it's interesting seeing how others tackle it.

This is my first week and like you, I will be setting family at Christmas and would like to lose 21lbs.

Unlike you, I don't exercise!

Thank you, and best of luck to you; I will be very impressed if you manage that without excercise!

Well done on the loss. I had a fairly good week last week when it came to food but I was out last Saturday night and had a little too much to drink and I only lost a pound...maybe with your heavy exercise it won't matter but I was shocked how it affected my weight loss. (I've been walking every day for 45 mins). But I suppose at least it was a minus :)

Yes, any negative is a positive.. well done. I'm hoping the alcohol won't affect me too badly but we'll see, I'm going to run 5 miles instead of 5k tonight so hopefully that'll help.

Thank you. I am carrying a posterior cruciate ligament injury at the moment, so I have just got to be good and dodge the chocolate until I can do some walking. Have you always been a runner? I would be too self conscious.

Can I ask how you attach one of those weight loss to your signature?

Thank you. I am carrying a posterior cruciate ligament injury at the moment, so I have just got to be good and dodge the chocolate until I can do some walking. Have you always been a runner? I would be too self conscious.

Nope, started running this time last year and when I started, I couldn't even run half a mile without getting out of breath. I've put lots of training in over the past 12 months though and can now run anything up to 10 miles without any training, despite the fact that I have the best part of 17st to shift around! Don't worry about what others think, if you want to try it just get out there, you will have to run/walk to start with but it's a fantastic way of losing weight.

Hey Al, how'd you get on over the weekend? Are you still on track ?

Well, I'd already accounted for the weekend to be a bad one but I could never have imagined quite how much I'd eat/drink on Saturday. The week has been fine though and I've been running both evenings so it's very possible that I'll see 16st7 tomorrow!

I'm going to be eating like a cat walk model today and going for a 5 miler tonight so fingers crossed for the right number tomorrow morning!! My belt is on the last hole today for the first time in a while so the signs are positive.

Next week (Thurs-Weds) I have no distractions whatsoever so I'm going to work my a**e off and hopefully manage to shed 4lbs. I think the final 3 weeks will be the toughest but I'm determined. If I hit or come close to my target then my next goal will be to stay under 16st over Christmas!

I lost 3pounds in my first week which I am quite pleased with. I bought a treadmill not long ago, so I started walking on it for 30 minutes at a slowish pace yesterday. I don't think I will ever be brave enough to go out for a run!

Back