26 mile run!!!

Domane

I started Couch to 5k last month and have just completed week six, run number one. I was looking at my stats on Endomondo and calculated that so far, in training, I have run 26 miles overall.... the equivalent of a marathon! And it's only taken me six weeks!!!! :p

well done! :) how is the running going?

Hey that's brill - as a newbie to running just wondered if you've suffered from any injuries yet? Are you losing weight with it as a result?
I had a hip problem crop up as I was on week 7 of Couch to 5K which stopped me running for a fortnight. I went and saw a physio and she gave me some exercises and told me I was very tight in my hips, pelvis and hamstrings. A fortnight later it was the 5K Race for Life that I'd been doing the training for so I gritted my teeth and thought I'd run as far as my hip would let me.... and apart from a small period of walking around the 3K mark, I managed to run the whole thing! I then gave myself a week off to recover (I'm 50 so have to make allowances ;) ) and then backtracked to week 4 of the C25K programme and picked it up from there. I've just this week managed to run 5K without stopping for the first time (twice, actually!)

I've been using the running alongside the 5:2 Intermittent fasting WOE, as well as calorie counting on my non-fasting days AND I have adopted a much healthier diet. I've lost 32lbs since 11th May. :) Another 14 to go to target....

Just saw that you managed to do two 5k runs without stopping - that's amazing, well done!

I've just finished week one of the 10k program, and am really enjoying it so far! Did you find going up to the next week was usually a big jump in endurance, or that you tended to be fit enough to make the increase?

Freya

I didn't do them on the same day, Freya..... a couple of days apart! They say you shouldn't increase your distance by more than 10% each week and to be honest, because of my age, I'm going to have a couple of weeks of sticking to around 5K before I start to think about increasing. I have a 5K fun run on 21st September and by then I'd like to be running 6k comfortably. At the moment I'm just enjoying the freedom of running for me rather than clock-watching for timings or being ordered in my ear by a podcast! :p

Back