28 stone 10lbs Bloke Refused Surgery Wanting to lose 14 stone My Journey!

jma2013

Hi guys was unsure whether I wanted to do diary/blog as i tend to keep myself to myself generally prob due to confidence issues and not facing upto where I am in life but after reading so many good diary's here and seen the success of a fair few thought would give it a bash so here we go please excuse poor punctuation though :) also apologies for the long post

This is my journey

I'm 28 year old fella who has struggled with his weight for a good 10-12 years or so as a youngster i was very active into sports played football represented local county team and in my opinion was quite good and played at a decent standard. After playing every week 2/3 times fell out of love with playing possibly as fitness wasn't what it was hence making it less enjoyable

Soon after stopped playing and since that day became lazy and the weight has just piled on takeaway after takeaway bottles of coke and coke I knew in my mind how big i was getting but never once did I actually realise just how big i became. Family always tried to offer advice and be helpful but i would never ever take there advice didn't feel ready to commit or "my head wasn't in it" maybe an excuse looking back or not facing upto my problems

Socially I don't go out that much shamefully I have avoided get togethers with old mates as I am ashamed of what I became , In the past I've had funny looks from people or you can see people obv talking about you which does affect me as i am a confidence person and despite what i have let myself become I can say I'm genuine and would do anything for anyone but some people don't even get as far to know you before judging you :)

Ok so a Year ago went to the docs wanted me to test for diabetes i kind of thought in the back of my mind i may have diabetes and never faced upto having the test to check

Came back that I was type 2 I ignored this and carried on with my ways in terms of eating and drinking whatever I wanted and neglecting my medication I was on a self destruct mode

Then I guess what did have a big impact on myself was being referred for surgery(BMI and Diabetes were the main reasons why) I was excited and thought this was it and found the answer to my problems met with nurses and surgeon and we were getting pretty close to a decision to proceed but i became more realistic and thought/Knew I would be unhappy with the after results and decided it wasn't for me family were relieved

It was then I knew i had to do something and when i informed the hospital of my decision I had already made up my mind I was going to try Slimming world Now I had joined slimming world once online and really didn't stick to it half hearted attempt no one to give me a kick up the backside etc. This time I was going to face upto my problems and go to a group pretty much put myself on show and really give it 100%

So my first time I attended group walked in everyone looked friendly enough consultant seemed nice but one issue and you may smile at this GREEN CRAP PLASTIC GARDEN CHAIRS :eek: I was mortified always a fear i will break one of these and look stupid weighed in and found out i was 28 stone 10.5lb :sigh: I was surprised at that and it certainly made me sad at what I had become I sat through the meeting sweating profusely but with every minute I felt better for being there and decided I had made the right move and this was for me

So far i can say so good I've enjoyed SW and can say i eat very well already seeing the benefits doesn't seem like a chore like some diets can be

the group i attend are fantastic very pleasant and welcoming this was a big thing for me to be accepted and i guess have more support

Results so far

week 1. Loss 1st 1lb :D
week 2. Loss 2lb :)
week 3. Loss 6.5lb :D SOTW
week 4. Loss 2lb :)
week 5. Loss 5.5lbs :D SOTW
week 6. On Hols - SOTM
week 7. Loss 4lb :)
week 8. Loss 5.5lb :D SOTW
week 9. Loss 4lb :) SOTW

Loss so far 3st 2.5lb started doing more exercising feel better fitting into old clothes and family and colleagues/ SW Group very complimentary and supportive I know I have so much hard work to do to get where I want to get I have 2 young boys that need there dad to be fit and health for them this is a must

Thanks for reading :) any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jma

Last edited:
Oh my word you so remind me of me and wish is been brave enough to walk through those doors years ago your losses so far are a credit to your commitment to change your life ! Well done you !

My son who is 26 nearly hit about 21 stone and thru pure hard work grit and stubborness which he git from me lol has got down to 11 stone looks amazing and like you is a gorgeous hearted young fella all with eating like a horse and Still having a fab social life ... So stick with it its life changing....

Are you doing a food diary online id love a nosey if you are.. good luck and bla! To green plastic chairs lol x

Thanks for the kind words Bigboned

Fair play to your son that is a great effort there bet he feels so much better in all aspects of his life I have the same determination to achieve my goals

I don't do an online food diary but I keep it simple fruit and yoghurt for breakfast mainly sometimes 40g of Dorset fruity muesli (The best Muesli ever!) dinner maybe sandwich using small wholemeal HEB use lighter than life mayo and chicken and salad or ham etc

For evening meal love spag bol, stirfry , Lean meats with rice potato syn free chips etc

Syn wise keep it simple use syns to bulk up meals or on some sauces Alpen light or HiFi bars snack wise have snack a jacks chutney 3.5 syns i think also loving the Mullerlight fat free coconut atm 0.5 syn

Good luck to you on your journey :)

Wow your weight loss so far is inspiring to say the least!!

Well done for having the determination to attend a class. I know how nervous i get so i cant imagine how nerve wracking it must be for a male to walk in when you know the majority of people are women.

Your asking for advice but i think it should be us asking for advice off you considering how brilliantly you've done!

Which plan do you do? I do red & green days. Cant seem to get on with extra easy.

Well done again and keep up the good work x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I started off red and green but now I'm on Extra Easy as much prefer that

Yea walked into my first session as only bloke there was very daunting but have to say the best thing I have ever done

Many thanks for the kind words I'm on a huge journey loads more to do but enjoying it and don't feel like I'm really missing out on treats so that's good and with results so far I've seen an improvement in fitness and being able to do things easier than before

Was at work today and had to cook for the guys I support I had to do 4 lovely fattening pizzas Being my fave food it was a good test of my willpower (I like to do this sometimes to test myself)

Also completed a 2 mile walk earlier noticed fitness is getting better so another extra bit of motivation feeling good at the moment would love a good loss on Wednesday restarted the gym aswel Yesterday so could even be a quick gym and sauna before Weigh in on Weds

food today -
Breakfast - Huge fruit salad with Mullerlight Turkish delight
Lunch - A chow mein pasta thing low fat syn free from Asda and another mullerlight fat free coconut flavour
Tea - Homemade burgers using lean mince salad and Jacket Potato 2 Small slices of Wholemeal bread (HEB)

Alpen light and snack a jacks chutney

Super well done on pizza situation!!! thats a tuff one cold pizza leftovers are banned from my house cos I just cant resist!!

Times are a changing then if your feeling fitter already imagine 6 months down the line, I would say def push your fitness along whenever you feel able too that seems to be the way a lot of the fellas and my son lost loads as they just felt the need to walk to help their losses I know this personally cost me a fortune as my son killed my treadmill lol have a fab day and do you have any extra snacky bits thru the day? especially if your starting the gym as it seems not an awful lot of food for a man , speed fruits are fab watermelon, pineapple kiwis etc x

I have plenty of fruit throughout the day snack wise but now with more exercise I will need to eat more of free foods I do try and use all of my syns up

Really liking mugshots atm good little snack and free so win/win got a busy week this week with plenty of exercise hoping for a decent loss on Wednesday would love to get to 3.5 stone this week

2lb loss this week which is Ok was quite annoyed after Weigh in though as expected more but will use the frustration to my benefit and work hard for a better week

More good news is my diabetes is controlled well had a review earlier and levels have reduced so hopefully continue and keep lowering levels hopefully can come off Tablets
downside was the docs scales had me down as losing 8lb this week which i was delighted with then went to slimming world and it said 2lb loss hence the disappointment

Back to the gym tomorrow and a read of my books again

ps tried the new hi fi bars today very nice!!!!!

After the initial disappointment at 2lb loss I had a quiet word with myself and reminded myself how far i had come in a shot space of time head firmly in place and motivated more than ever

Went for a walk yesterday and wrapped myself in some cling film whilst out walking in the heat It was fantastic felt so much fitter and had a lot more energy whilst i was in the fat burn stage of exercising really benefited from it

Have the weekend off and going to the gym tomorrow morning which i'm looking forward to I have purchased my sauna effect suit to work out in recommended by a lot of athletes good for weight loss so will keep you informed it wasn't cheap so hoping it benefits me

Wow! Youve done amazing in 9 weeks! Well done! Hows it going now? Just as good I hope :)

It's going great really enjoying it now thanks so motivated and feeling better week by week :)

How are you doing noticed already over a stone lost well done how you finding it??

Im finding it good so far, Ive lost 1st4lb in 3 weeks so Im not complaining lol! I have tried so many 'diets' in the past and of course they have worked but for some reason I bugger it up around week 4/5 which is about now, its taking all my willpower not to give in to that wee voice in my head. How do you fight the urge, do you have any tactics you would like to share? ;-)

It took me ages to find this motivation to stick to a diet like yourself usually round week 3/5 I would let myself down and not bother for a while but my weight was just rising and rising it was either have one last crack at a diet and give it 100% commitment or have surgery which I wasn't keen on

I fight the urge because I simply have to not far off 30 at some point I need to grow up and start thinking what I'm doing to myself and others around me I have just got to the point where enough is enough

As for tactics I guess I don't have anything in particular loving the compliments I'm getting at the moment from family friends etc that spurs me on I have 2 young children and they look upto me and need there dad they are my life so doing this for myself and them is my motivation also being type 2 diabetic is another huge reason why this has to work for me

Attending my group is another big plus for me and ensures I stay on plan and do my best to achieve a loss and generally looking at old photos etc this forum is great aswel love looking at before and after photos so inspirational that these guys have been where I am and now look at them they have done fantastic so much respect for them

You have done great in 3 weeks Rache in all fairness if losing 1st 3lb in 3 weeks doesn't help fight them voices not sure what will stick at it :) your doing amazing you will feel better week after week

Attending my group is another big plus for me and ensures I stay on plan and do my best to achieve a loss and generally looking at old photos etc this forum is great aswel love looking at before and after photos so inspirational that these guys have been where I am and now look at them they have done fantastic so much respect for them
I think I might try this as that will be motivation enough! I always thought that I would sort myself out in my thirties, but here I am at 41 still trying to get to grips even tho I was also diagnosed with Type2 six months ago :-( Ive just messaged my leader for some help as Im needing a kick up the proverbial lol!! :)

Been a nice weekend pretty chilled out resisted an urge earlier to go for a carvery haha would of been tempted by naughty things there

Went to the gym in new swelter suit very impressed with it comfortable and does the job starting to enjoy the gym a bit more everytime now

Breakfast today - Yoghurt mullerlight banana and 40g of Dorset Muesli (HEB)
Dinner - Mugshot , Sweet chilli special k crisps(4.5 syns) ,Mullerlight, laughing cow light x 3 (HEA), cherries
Tea - Chicken syn free chips Mushrooms and homemade coleslaw

followed by Alpen light x 2 6 syns Another Mullerlight and

I'm digging my heels in with the exercise now too also enjoying it, foods looking fab too I'm another who never made it past week 3 I wonder if that's the magic habit number as they say its 21 times to create a habit I think I subconsciously hid from going further behind this lol who knows..

Hope u have a fab Monday x

I'm digging my heels in with the exercise now too also enjoying it, foods looking fab too I'm another who never made it past week 3 I wonder if that's the magic habit number as they say its 21 times to create a habit I think I subconsciously hid from going further behind this lol who knows..

Hope u have a fab Monday x

You're doing fantastic 7st loss already :happy096:

Have a great day

3lb loss for me this week which means 3 1/2 stone loss award plus SOTW AND SOTM

Really pleased how things are going group very complimentary to me today clothes are fitting better and managing to do more in the gym

Read about the man of the year an awesome effort to lose 17 st

Going to cook a chicken Korma type meal tonight with boiled rice looking forward to seeing the outcome

Wow ! Absolutely amazing, if you like your curry keep an eye out for the maggis chicken Balti packet its amazing ! Just throw a pile of chicken breasts a tin of tomatoes and peppers n mushrooms whatever u fancy to bulk it out then cook. About 5 syns for whole bag I cook a full kilo bag of chicken in it then have loads left over for the week...I've read it to its so nice to see one of the bigger slimmers are featured gives me hope il get there sooner or later x

Back