34 stone teenager-six months on

soulsister

Silver Member
There is an update tonight on BBC3 @11pm. Bethany Walton who was told she was Britains fattest teenager underwent weight loss surgery last year. I am not sure if the update has been on before as I don't watch BBC3 much. But I do remember watching the original programme last Summer. Should be good to see her progress I thought she was a lovely girl.

Awww I wish Id known this was on. Believe it or not I only saw the original last night on BBC1 and would love to see how she did. Do you know if its scheduled for a repeat??

I watched it and found it very illuminating.

Bethany initially lost several stone over the year but then started putting weight back on. She was offered cognitive behaviour therapy and this was the turning point for her.

It was quite wonderful to see her blossoming, not only appearance and weight loss but confidence and personality.

I had always wondered why the reason for her massive weight gain (something like 12 stone in a year after a relatives death), had not been flagged up and dealt with. She was already morbidly obese at the time this relative died, and this massive weight gain really pushed the boundaries.

My personal experience of dieting taught me that ultimately I would only succeed if I learned how to 'change my mind' and the way I thought and behaved around food, how I used it to anethsetise (sp.) feelings of anger, frustration, shame, fear etc., and also that I learned new ways to deal with feelings etc.

LL did it for me because it included the CBT. I am so pleased that this young woman has got the help and support of CBT to show her how to deal with her issues.

I watched both the original programme and the follow-up.

What struck me about the second one was Bethany's admission that while the op had reduced her physical capacity to overeat, it had NOT reduced her 'need' to eat, nor helped her with cravings for the foods that pile on weight.

Her mother commented that B was pretty much just sent home to get on with it.

She is a brave, sensitive and artistic girl, and deserves every success. I hope they do a further follow-up so we can find out how things turn out.

This was a very interesting watch and very touching too. She's such a pretty girl and i'm glad she's finally getting there. I wish her luck.

Back