40th Birthday Present

SquirrelSuit

My 40th birthday is in 2 and a half years.

I have a family history or obesity, and all of the women in my family became morbidly obese during and after menopause. I have watched as they did crash diet after crash diet, gaining and shedding up to 10 stone back and forth. I watched them lose the weight and have drastic surgery to repair the skin, only to put it back on again and undergo more surgeries.

They are all beautiful and inspiring women. Their bodies reflect their hearts: flexible, able to give and take, with scars of their struggles and triumphs. They are warriors possessing a strength that the perpetual size 8 woman couldn’t even imagine.

I am 37 and only 2 stone overweight. To the warriors with 10 stone to demolish, I probably seem as ridiculous as the perpetual size 8 woman complaining about 3 pounds of water weight is to me. I admire your strength and will. You are my inspiration!

I know that I could spend the next 10 years yo-yoing up and down a stone, but each time I have tried to lose weight over the last ten years I have I lost less weight and gained more on the rebound. At this rate, at the end of 10 years I will have 3 times the weight to battle.

This got me thinking, what if I fought hard for my health right now instead of waiting until I was 4 or 10 stone overweight?

Two weeks ago I decided to give myself the best 40th birthday present I could wish for. Over the next 2 and a half years, I plan to work hard to be the best person I can be by my 40th birthday. I want to embrace my 40th as the best year of my life rather than running away and trying to hide from it.

It starts with the physical, but I hope to give myself so much more. This diary is the first 40th birthday present I am making for myself.

Back