46lbs - a journey with a small spoon !

piX128

A while ago I heard the expression of not trying to eat an elephant in one go, but to attack it over time with a small spoon. I guess thats really about not setting yourself a huge goal without breaking it down into small bites that you have every hope of succeeding...and sticking at them til the job's done.

So here I am, first day here and hoping that completing a weight loss diary will give me a place to record the journey...one I know will be full of ups and downs !! Ive set myself the goal of losing three stones by Christmas...that's just 46lbs....or 736 ounces. I can't work out if it sounds better in pounds or ounces at the moment. That'll probably change depending on how much I can shift each week - grin!

I'm newly relocated to a sleepy village in the East Midlands and currently not working. It's all a bit of a culture shock but, always one to look for the good things, I have time now to think about me for a while and the main thing I'd like to tackle is my weight....well, that and how to find my way to the supermarket without getting lost in the tangle of country lanes, suicidal badgers and potholes!

I've used online communities for many years and know just how real the friendships and support can be. I also like to natter, whether it's in person or on a screen - so I'm hoping I'm in good company and I look forward to sharing your successes too :D

thanks for the welcome x

I think its the only way to look at it, same as not thinking about it as a diet just a better way of eating for ever. If I think I'm being deprived of something it just makes the contrary part of me kick in and want it more !

Welcome and I love your elephant thing. I joined the forum a month ago and have found it extremely helpful and supportive. I do a daily diary and just write what comes to my head. I find it very helpful as I can go back and read them again and see what sort of things I do as a pattern and make small changes. Also i have decided to take pictures once a month but not putting them on here as yet - so I can see the difference.

I am here if you fancy a chat. At the moment I am not working due to illness and am on here a couple of times a day. However, actively looking for a job and missing working.

Welcome again and hope to speak to you soon.

hi Rosie, thanks so much for the welcome. Like you Im not working due to some health issues - life loves it's challenges doesn't it! I figure typing on here will stop me reaching for food too...or the Jeremy Kyle show !

It's miserable out there today so I'm going to try and be productive and unpack ther rest of the boxes that are in the kitchen ...they've been staring at me for a few weeks and I just need to get on and unpack! I guess that's the disadvantage of moving in with a partner - two of most things. It's not like Ive been desperate for a teaspoon or a glass ...but I do now want to find my steamer and cookware!

I'm also going to plan my meals for the next week so that I can shop later and not get distracted or tempted by the twiglet aisle lol . I know I have a quote about chocolate on my posts but actually I don't like the stuff. My downfall is savoury things such as crisps and other snacks. My basic diet is pretty healthy, its just I supplement it by snacking on stuff I just don't need..but I love!

I tried the sw chips yesterday and loved them. I did leave them an hour to dry as i realised i had no eggs and decided to walk into the village rather than hop in the car. But it didnt seem to be a problem, they were lovely and satisfied my craving for something crispy and vinegary. I wonder if you can freeze them at the par boiled stage..hmm I bet the answer is here somewhere!

ok, enough procrastinating...boxes!

Hi piX

Thought I'd pop in to say hi since you left a message on my diary. You seem to have the attitude spot on and the elephant analogy is a great way to express it.

I've never been able to plan menus very far in advance but I am finding that SW allows me to have a few basic ingredients on hand at all times which can be made in to a multitude of different, tasty recipes. I'm toying with the idea of trying the free smash pizza tonight. That will very much fill a gaping void in my culinary longing if it's half as good as most people make out! I am a bit of a sucker for pizza.

I like to dry my potatoes before putting them in the oven for SW chips. I think it helps to crispen them up. Also, I had some made from sweet potato the other night. They take a bit longer in the oven but I found them even more tasty. My girlfriend even though she loved them, thought the normal potato ones were nicer. Each to their own I suppose. Definitely worth a try though.

I hope you enjoy your time on the plan and here in the forum. good luck on your journey.

Kev X

thanks Kev,

I love sweet potato.. I like how it caramelises as it cooks and tastes good!

I've unpacked 7 boxes in the kitchen, repacked three with the duplicate stuff that we dont need two, or three, versions of... like kettles! I wonder if I can count all the lugging of them about as exercise ;-)

it feels a bit more like Im starting to settle in though... 2012 is going to be a good year xx

Ooops ! I've just had a moment and a half in the local village ...

I was carrying two bags of shopping back to the car and i could feel my jeans start to slide over my hips ! I thought there's no way they'll fall down ... but as i took another couple of steps I knew thats exactly what they were going to do :eek:

luckily i managed to hobble quickly the remaining few steps and as i got between my car and the next down they went ! Only to my knees, and I dont think anyone could see but I was scarlet all the same !!!

still, it means that Ive definitely lost some weight - I know the scales tell you but its harder to see those early pounds yourself isnt it?

Ooops ! I've just had a moment and a half in the local village ...

I was carrying two bags of shopping back to the car and i could feel my jeans start to slide over my hips ! I thought there's no way they'll fall down ... but as i took another couple of steps I knew thats exactly what they were going to do :eek:

luckily i managed to hobble quickly the remaining few steps and as i got between my car and the next down they went ! Only to my knees, and I dont think anyone could see but I was scarlet all the same !!!

still, it means that Ive definitely lost some weight - I know the scales tell you but its harder to see those early pounds yourself isnt it?
That story made me Lol piX!! :roofles: That's certainly one way of telling if you've lost weight. Who needs scales when we can have embarassing moments? ;) I hope you've now recovered from the situation? X

That story made me Lol piX!! :roofles: That's certainly one way of telling if you've lost weight. Who needs scales when we can have embarassing moments? ;) I hope you've now recovered from the situation? X

Thanks Kev !
well it's one way of getting yourself noticed when you're new to a place isnt it:D
Ive lost another 2lbs ...that takes me into double figues at 10lbs and down to 12 stone 12 - the fist time IVe been in the 12 stones for a very long time !! x

Ive lost another 2lbs ...that takes me into double figues at 10lbs and down to 12 stone 12 - the fist time IVe been in the 12 stones for a very long time !! x
Massive congratulations for this!! Very impressive. I only need a 4lb loss on Tuesday and I've caught up with you! Not entirely optimistic about it though after my gain this week. We'll see though. X

hmmm.. ive come to a bit of a standstill these past few days even though I've not had much of an appetite and eaten less than usual. still hoping for a pound or two by friday though! Just got to keep motivated

hmmm.. ive come to a bit of a standstill these past few days even though I've not had much of an appetite and eaten less than usual. still hoping for a pound or two by friday though! Just got to keep motivated
Good luck for Friday! I only lost a pound at my weigh in this morning so a bit disappointed but it's not the end of the world. It's still a step in the right direction. X

thanks Kev, and yes every step downwards is in the right direction.

It's been a gorgeous day here so I took my lardy arse for a walk around the lake at a country park, got some cute photos of the ducks skating across the ice!

battling pmt cravings but trying to stick to plan and had some worcester sauce french fries to help lol

well despite my worries that's another 2lb lost !! Starting to believe I really can do this, especially with the help and motivation of you lovely people here xx

the weekend looms and I know I need to be better prepared as last week I ate very little, but with something planned I know I'll have the motivation to cook something tasty. Im a big ice hockey fan but the food at the ice arena is horrid so at least Im not tempted there !

how's everyone else doing ? x

Well done on your WI!! Of course you can do it! Sometimes it takes us a while to believe that though.

Enjoy the hockey!

Kev X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

thankyou both :) xxx

A win at hockey last night over the Dundee stars, but it snowed while we were in the arena so it was fun getting back out of nottingham and to the village we live in .. Im very glad I wasnt driving.
Luckily it was well forecast so I'm stocked up with things I can eat and not have to use it as an excuse to eat rubbish !

curry and rice for dinner tonight i think, nice and warming :) x

Back