5:2, Running and ME

carrot_tit

Gold Member
Hello all

I'm back on the wagon and back here. I'm really pleased as this site and the people on it has really helped me stay on track over the years. I like to be able to share my journey in all the things i do but obviously the weight loss is key to helping the other aspects.

So a bit of background, i've done pretty much done every diet you could possibly imagine over the years. Had the most success on either meal replacements or VLCD but only whilst doing them. The minute i got to my ideal weight i'd be straight back to my old eating habits and usually end up gaining even more weight. I needed something i could do forever and something that didn't restrict me and have me craving food as i don't think that's helpful. Prior to starting 5:2 seriously again in June 2015 i'd already lost nearly a stone over the course of the year but that was through experimenting with various eating plans.

I've toyed with 5:2 in the past but hadn't done well at all. I'd usually cave and eat everything not nailed to the ground once i got home from work. However in June 2015 i decided to revisit the fasts and this time not to worry about how fast the weight would come off. Now i've not been ultra strict and i've had many periods of illness (not fasted whilst ill), laziness and low motivation. Prior to October i had just over a stones weight loss, it's now 11lbs. I was going to wait until the new year to get back on the wagon but given how much weight i could gain in that time it didn't seem a good idea. So i'm fasting today and Wednesday. Which i think may end up being my usual days. I used to do Monday and Thursday but my running club has their speed/Hills session on a Thursday and i need all the help i can get for that!

I'm also a keen runner whose training for my third marathon in 2016. I do have quite a few health issues that have left me disabled so i'm not what you'd call an elite runner, but i do okay! I try not to let my health issues get in the way, mainly because i'm stubborn but i do tend to do way too much.

Anyway i think that's enough for now. I'm looking forward to seeing what this year will bring.

Here to follow your jounery Sarah good luck x

Thanks Curvie.

I'll apologies in advance for all the rubbish i usually spout! :D

So yesterday did not go to plan. I did end up with a low calorie day but definitely could not be considered a fast day. I just don't seem to do well when i'm out of my usual routine. It's a little bit annoying but hey ho. Not sure whether or not i'll have a chance to fit another one in this week. I was going to fast tomorrow but there's a chance i'll be doing a 10mile run with my club so i'll need to eat. Of course i need to check with them just exactly what they consider a steady run as my steady differs greatly from many of theirs!

I've already eaten too much today to turn this into a fast. I had an early morning hospital appointment and didn't get the answers i wanted, so i hit a local pub and had breakfast!

Running with the club tonight so let's see how many calories that burns off!

Hi Sarah,

Good luck with restarting. I'm sure all that running must be helping, even if it isn't fast!

I'm starting fasting again two days a week. I have generally been doing 1 day over the last year and my weight has been up and down - in recent weeks, it's mostly been up! So, it's time to get some of the weight off and keep it off. I've started ding a bit of running myself, but 10 miles sounds far to much for me, let alone a marathon. I'm just trying to do 5km, on a treadmill. I've managed about 5 runs in the last couple of weeks which I'm quite pleased with.

I did a fast day today and it hasn't been too bad - I got to 4 p.m. without eating anything - lots of decaff tea. Some days I wake up hungry though, and I know it's going to be a tough day when that happens.

How much are you hoping to lose? I'd be very happy to lose 11lbs if it stayed off. I do lose weight slowly, so I've not set any timescale, I'd just like to see a downward trend.

Good luck with it. Hope we all have a healthier and lighter 2016!

:)

Denise

Hi Sarah,

Good luck with restarting. I'm sure all that running must be helping, even if it isn't fast!

I'm starting fasting again two days a week. I have generally been doing 1 day over the last year and my weight has been up and down - in recent weeks, it's mostly been up! So, it's time to get some of the weight off and keep it off. I've started ding a bit of running myself, but 10 miles sounds far to much for me, let alone a marathon. I'm just trying to do 5km, on a treadmill. I've managed about 5 runs in the last couple of weeks which I'm quite pleased with.

I did a fast day today and it hasn't been too bad - I got to 4 p.m. without eating anything - lots of decaff tea. Some days I wake up hungry though, and I know it's going to be a tough day when that happens.

How much are you hoping to lose? I'd be very happy to lose 11lbs if it stayed off. I do lose weight slowly, so I've not set any timescale, I'd just like to see a downward trend.

Good luck with it. Hope we all have a healthier and lighter 2016!

:)

Denise

Hi Denise

Well done on running on the treadmill. When i first started out i did all my running on a treadmill but then once i'd started running outside i just couldn't cope with it. I'm always really impressed with anyone who can run even 5k on them now. You'd be surprised how quickly you can progress from 5k to marathon. My Asics even has a plan that takes you from running 20mins to running a 5hr 30 marathon! Well done on the fasting, i've not managed either of my days. I'm not sure on my weightloss goals to be honest. My weightloss app is suggesting i need to lose another 12.7lbs in order to hit my target weight. Now i'm sure i looked great at that weight when i was in my 20s but not sure how i'll look now i'm approaching 36..... My first target is lose the 5.5lbs i've gained since the beginning of November and another 2lbs on top of that. Hopefully in January as i've mistakenly bet a colleague i would! That would leave me another 5ish lbs until i hit my apps goal weight. I think i'll see how i look when i've lost the 7lbs. I may just need to tone up. I'd quite like to take an Insanity class and see if that would tone me up.

I didn't get to the 10miler yesterday but i will be running a double parkrun tomorrow and my first cross country event on Sunday, really hoping the hills are not too much for me. I decided to weigh in a day early to see what the final damage has been for the New Year and i'm stunned to discover i've lost 2lbs despite not fasting this week. So i can't wait to see what next week will bring when i'm fasting properly again.

Well i'd best see if i need shoehorning into my Supergirl costume for tomorrow morning!

I hope we all have a very Happy New Year.

See you all in 2016 :D

Double parkrun today and a new pb! My watch said faster than my official time but its still a pb and i did it dressed as Supergirl. It was such a fun day. I really don't want the break to end. I know normality has to return at some point but i just don't want it to. 5mile cross country on Sunday and my first fast of the year due on Monday. The time is just flying by :confused:

Well done Supergirl!
superwoman.gif

Well done on the double park run Supergirl! Great achievement. I'm too self-conscious to run outside at the moment, but maybe I'll be brave at some point. I just looked up what an Insanity workout is - my goodness that looks like hard work! Good luck with it if you try it.

I'm on a fast day again today - I deliberately got up late so I could minimise the hours I'd have to be awake for it! 'm supposed to be doing another run today too - just need to psych myself up.

:) x

Hi Sarah,

I am getting back to 5:2 which I have done with success in the past, I've struggled more recently but I know it works well for me and I want to get back to a comfy weight which means I have a stone or so to go. Good luck for the run tomoro :)

Well done Supergirl!
superwoman.gif

Thanks Mini. First time i've ever had a good photo taken of me running!

Well done on the double park run Supergirl! Great achievement. I'm too self-conscious to run outside at the moment, but maybe I'll be brave at some point. I just looked up what an Insanity workout is - my goodness that looks like hard work! Good luck with it if you try it.

I'm on a fast day again today - I deliberately got up late so I could minimise the hours I'd have to be awake for it! 'm supposed to be doing another run today too - just need to psych myself up.https://www.minimins.com/threads/5-2-running-and-me.353125/#post-7872708

:) x

Thank you Denise. Yeah i'm not sure how well i'd do with insanity. I could really do with attending a class as i'm just too lazy to do a workout DVD at home.

Hi Sarah,

I am getting back to 5:2 which I have done with success in the past, I've struggled more recently but I know it works well for me and I want to get back to a comfy weight which means I have a stone or so to go. Good luck for the run tomoro :)

Thank you. Good luck getting back into Belletabbycat, the first few are always difficult. Hopefully they will get easier soon.

The trail run went better than expected. I was quite slow but then there were times when i could barely move through the mud and i had no grip at all going downhill! I was convinced i would break something, not that that will stop me returning for round 2 on the 24th. All the other runners on the course would have been able to hear is me screaming as i went downhill and occasionally swearing when i rolled my ankle! My first proper fast went well on Monday. It was hard work towards the end of the day but ultimately i got through it. Fast two will be tomorrow and then i'll have my first weigh in on Thursday and see how i've done. Fingers crossed tomorrow goes quickly!

Sarah you are amazing with your running...I can feel your enthusiasm and excitement for running jumping off the page.

Good luck with your fast tomorrow and with weigh in on Thursday!

Just realised i'd not reported in for a couple of days. I've not been well and id had to take a couple of days of work. Given my recent absences i doubt this will go down well. I've not really been able to do anything but obviously being ill helped me manage my fast day on Wednesday as i just didn't want to eat. Weighed in on Thursday morning and i'm 2.8lbs down. This bring my total whilst on 5:2 to 1st 1.8lbs lost and just over 2st lost since June 2014. All in all, over than being ill, i'm very happy with that :)

So i've just realised i've not had a chance to come on and update for a few days. I've been a bit unwell so not kept up to date with stuff.
So what have i been up to....

Well on Sunday i went out for a nice steady run and covered just over 8.5miles. It was a really nice run hampered only by the fact my slightly too big sports bra bloody rubbed me so i'm now quite sore. Monday was a fast day for me, which turned out to be really easy to do as i was unwell. I've also made a real effort to drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Due to the chaffing, i've not been able to exercise much. I did go on the treadmill today but i'm still quite sore, not brilliant news given i've a half marathon to run on Sunday! Today is the final fast day of the week which means its weigh day tomorrow morning! Its been another successful week so hopefully i'll have lost a little bit this week....

Lets see what the scales say!

Night before my race. Really, really hoping the snow won't prevent my friends from getting through... I don't mind potentially not making it round it before the cut off time but i'd really like my friends to be there if it happens so we can have a laugh about it! Please, please, don't let there be any ice on the roads!

Totally smashed my target time for the half yesterday. Was hoping to get round by the cut off time of 2hrs 45mins, no mean feat considering my previous pb has been slower than that. My final time was 2hrs 38mins 31seconds! Totally chuffed with that and i burnt off almost an entire days calories so i really can't complain. Everything just went perfectly!:woohoo:

Should have been fasting today but had to go to the hospital and since my partner took the day off to come with me we decided to stop for breakfast on the way home and then went to Frankie and Benny's for tea this evening. I'll fast tomorrow and on Thursday instead. Feel really full today so i'm quite looking forward to my fast in the morning, but i'm not looking forward to going back to work :(

Hope everyone else is good, seems quite quiet on here at the moment x

Had a horrible day at work, i'm feeling so tired after having insomnia for the past few days.... I fasted right up until 6pm but after coming home to a freezing cold house and just generally feeling a bit rubbish i decided to have a coffee and then a jam slice and then the food has just gone on and on. My weigh in will not go well tomorrow. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. Normal service will resume shortly!

Back