50 is a new beginning ☺

232kat

I turned 50 last October and started my degree; however, the one thing I haven't managed to do is lose weight. In fact, due to issues with my declining mobility, I gained 2 stone last year. At 19st 4lbs I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life. This additional weight is just creating more health issues. Although I have been overweight, well obese, for the last 14 years I have always been very mobile and reasonably fit, cycling about 35 miles a week. Last year was a turning point and my knees and hip became painful and I had to stop the cycling; however, this resulted in gaining more weight and so the vicious circle began.

I know I have will power, as I quit smoking 40 cigarettes a day 12 years ago, so why can't I lose weight. I think the main reason for this is because I am so hard on myself when I slip up and I see it as failure. One blip leads to an intensive binge, trying to cram in all my favourite foods before I climb back on the wagon. This yo-yo dieting has seen my weight go from being a healthy 10st to my current weight. So now that I'm older and hopefully wiser I aim to be reasonable with myself. Yes I will blip, that is inevitable as we all do its a human thing, but this time round I am going to learn to draw the line and see it as part of my journey to a healthier me, rather than a failure.

This diary is going to be honest, I will list everything I eat and drink, including the stuff I try to hide from myself, and this time I will succeed.

Wed 13/1/16

B: green smoothie, mullerlight (1), strawberries, banana, pear
L: jacket potato, tuna, mayonnaise (3), grapes, banana, mullerlight Greek style yogurt
D: rump steak, potatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, mullerlight
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (2), options hot choc (2), cough sweet (1)

Syns 9

Thu 14/1/16

B: green smoothie, mullerlight, cough sweet (1), grapes
L: SW chicken meal & rice, fruit smoothie (HEB)
D: roast chicken, potatoes, vegetables and gravy (2), 2 mullerlight Greek style (1)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), options hot choc (2), cough sweet (1)

Syns 7

Fri 15/1/16

B: mullerlight Greek style (0.5), Apple, grapes, eggs, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms, cough sweet (1)
L: baked potato, tuna, mayonnaise light (4), salad, mullerlight (0.5)
D: apple, jacket potato, ketchup (2)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), cough sweet (1)

Syns 9

Sat 16/1/16

B: magic pancakes, cherries and honey (HEB) (3), banana
L: 1/2 SW cheeseburger (8), chips, mushrooms and baked beans, mullerlight Greek style (0.5)
D: grapes, banana, mullerlight Greek style (0.5)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), options hot choc (2), cough sweet (1)

Syns 15

Last edited:
Sun 17/1/16

B: 2 boiled eggs, wholemeal roll (HEB), 28g philadelphia light (2), mullerlight (0.5)
L: SW thai green curry and jasmin rice (1), mullerlight, Apple, grapes
D: melon and strawberries, SW lamb passanda and rice (0.5)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), 2 chocolate digestives (8), options hot choc (2), cough sweet (1)

Syns 15

The lamb passanda came from SW mag. It was nice but I added a bit too mullerlight Greek style coconut yogurt and it was a bit too creamy and sweet. Half a pot will suffice per portion next time. The Thai green curry I did lunchtime was from the SW website, I swapped the light coconut milk for mullerlight Greek style coconut yogurt and that was lovely. I love curry and I could eat them daily ☺

Attachments

• 20160117_143428-1.jpg
    20160117_143428-1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 20160117_200903-1.jpg
    20160117_200903-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I started my degree in Sept at 31 :) I started my ed and SW at the same time
What are you studying? I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive in starting my law degree, as I had left school more than 30 years ago. I probably used it as an excuse to eat more rubbish. I told my husband that I didn't have time to work, study and cook. However, now I have settled into it I am in the best place to start slimming world.
I started my degree in Sept at 31 :) I started my ed and SW at the same time

I'm doing joint Theology and History. I wanted to go back into education but couldn't afford it, because I didn't have A levels I had to do a years access course at college. I found out it was free for over 24 yr olds now and immediately signed up. I'm now training to be a Religious Studies teacher.

I'm doing joint Theology and History. I wanted to go back into education but couldn't afford it, because I didn't have A levels I had to do a years access course at college. I found out it was free for over 24 yr olds now and immediately signed up. I'm now training to be a Religious Studies teacher.
That's lucky, mine is going to cost £16K in OU fees, but I have a student loan and I probably won't have to pay it all back if I retire at some point. If I was younger I would have wanted to qualify as a teacher. Good luck ☺

£16k for the whole course doesn't sound bad. I'm paying £27k but all through student loans.
The access course was £3k but I don't have to pay it back if I complete my degree.

£16k for the whole course doesn't sound bad. I'm paying £27k but all through student loans.
The access course was £3k but I don't have to pay it back if I complete my degree.
Yes, 16K doesn't seem too bad, compared to 23k. I misunderstood what you was originally referring to and assumed you meant the whole degree was free. The trouble with OU is that the other students are quite insular and it is difficult to find study buddies, something that naturally occurs as a brick uni. You really realise the value of debate and discussion when it isn't so forthcoming. However, I have managed to get a small skype group together and that is helping. My actual tutorial group are quite distant, and only five out of 18 students attend the tutorials.

I see from your signature you have only been doing SW a couple of weeks, but you have good weight losses ☺

Mon 18/1/16

B: magic pancakes (HEB), cherries and tbsp honey (3)
L: none
D: SW pasta and meatballs, tbsp parmesan (1.5)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), mullerlight, banana, 2 chocolate digestives (8), options hot choc (2)

Syns 14.5

I must make sure I eat all three main meals tomorrow. Although I wasn't hungry when I skipped lunch, it meant that I had dinner earlier. Then later in the evening, when it was too late to have another meal, I got picky on synned foods.

Last edited:
Tue 19/1/16

B: 2 boiled eggs, wholemeal roll (HEB), 25g philadelphia light (2), banana, apple
L: SW thai green curry and jasmine rice (1), syn free lemon mousse, crumbled meringue (1)
D: melon, rump steak, roast potatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, onions, syn free lemon mousse, crumbled meringue (1) cherries and strawberries
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA)

Syns 5

Attachments

• 20160119_144731-1.jpg
    20160119_144731-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 20160119_200019-1.jpg
    20160119_200019-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20160119_202607-1.jpg
    20160119_202607-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
Wed 20/1/16

Weighed in this morning and I've lost 4lbs taking me to 19st. I am so pleased with that, as I have not gone hungry once this week and I've had some lovely meals. My favourite meal of the week has been thai green curry. I am going to have this for lunch today, as it is leftover from yesterday. Also apart from a couple of digestive biscuits on a couple of days, I have not eaten any sweets, chocolate or crisps. This is a significant achievement in itself. I have found that a mug of options belgium hot chocolate has sated any late evening desire to binge and the fact that I am comfortably full after dinner.

This forth coming week I am going to try and increase my intake of water, fruit and veg. Although, I'm not going to bully myself into this; it is likely that these areas will improve overtime and not overnight.

B: pomegranate, wholemeal roll (HEB), 25g philadelphia light (2), bacon, followed later by mullerlight and grapes
L: thai green curry (1), jasmine rice, mullerlight
D: melon, cod loin in crispy parmesan coating (1), potato chips and baked beans, followed by lemon mousse, crumbled meringue (1), cherries and strawberries
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), options hot choc (2)

Syns 7

I can't really comment on the outcome of the fish as I overcooked it, so I only had a small piece. My dogs gained the benefit of my abysmal attempt at the slimming world recipe.

Water intake zero, but lots of tea and Pepsi max to caffeinate me through hours of study.

Attachments

• 20160120_194542-1.jpg
    20160120_194542-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thu 21/1/16

L: banana, jacket potato, tuna, mayonnaise (3), mullerlight, pear, strawberries
T: wholemeal roll (HEB), 25g philadelphia light (2), bacon, banana
D: melon, lamb passanda, jasmine rice, mullerlight Greek style yogurt (1)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (1)

Syns 7

No breakfast today, so I had a bacon roll when I got home from work. This meant that I had my dinner on time instead of too early.

Feeling positive about this.

Fri 22/1/16

B: mullerlight, banana, apple, rich tea biscuit (2)
L: thai green curry, mullerlight greek style (1), jam donut (11)
D: SW meatballs and pasta ready meal
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (1)

Syns 15

The slimming world ready meals are a life saver. I didn't get home till very late tonight and there was certainly no time to cook a dinner from scratch. I didn't have anything prepared and normally I would have got a takeaway, which would then lead to sweets and chocolate. However, I had the meatballs and pasta meal in the freezer so I successfully remained on track.

Sat 23/1/16

B: 2 boiled eggs, wholemeal roll (HEB), 20g philadelphia light (2)
L: Thai red curry and rice (0.5), lemon mousse (2), strawberries
D: Chinese - boiled rice, half portion chicken and mushrooms (4.5), half portion beef chow mein (12), mayflower curry sauce (4), banana
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), iced gems (5)

Syns 30

OK, so not a good day. I've been studying all day and I looked up and it was 8pm. Hence the takeaway. I will just have to recoup some syns over the next couple of days.

Attachments

• 20160123_134215-1.jpg
    20160123_134215-1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
Mon 25/1/16

B: mullerlight, banana
L: Apple, pear, mullerlight Greek style (0.5), jacket potato and tuna mayonnaise (3)
D: SW Thai green curry and jasmine rice (2.5)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (1), rich tea biscuit (2), mini creme egg (2.5)

Syns 11

Tue 26/1/16

B: mullerlight, banana, apple, strawberries
L: SW Thai green curry and jasmine rice (2.5), banana, pear, mullerlight Greek style (0.5)
D: steak, potatoes, baked beans, lemon mousse (1), ketchup (2)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), 2 pkts chewing gum (2), grapes, twix 14

Syns 22

Total syns this week 104

Last edited:
Wed 27/1/16

I've stayed the same this week, which is disappointing but it is my * week. I know I've stuck to the plan so what I didn't lose this week should come off next, if not I will have to review my menus and make some adjustments. Usually I would use this as an excuse to stuff my face, but I need to acknowledge this and fight the urge. Let's hope next week has a better result.

B: mullerlight, banana, apple
L: jacket potato, cheese (HEA), baked beans, banana, pear and mullerlight Greek style (0.5)
D: Bacon, wholemeal roll (HEB), egg, light cheese slice (2.5), grapes
S: skimmed milk (4), chewing gum (1), 2 mini Creme eggs (5)

Syns 13

I must try harder to include more speedy foods and water. I was on training today, so made the best of a bad situation. I wasn't hungry this evening so I did eat till after 9, so I didn't want a proper meal.

Last edited:
Thu 28/1/16

B: mullerlight, banana, apple
L: cheesy mugshot (2), mullerlight, banana, pear, grapes
D: SW Thai green curry, mullerlight Greek style (3)
S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (3), 2 mini Creme eggs (5), iced gems (5)

Syns 18

Last edited:
Back