Extra Easy 8 Hour Diet?

GarethSheerin

Anybody ever tried this 8 hour diet?
I've seen a few newspaper articles in past weeks and just curious on what people think. The newspapers are saying "eat what you want and still lose weight".
I can't see this being true but if you stick to the Slimming World diet in those 8 hours, I think the results will be good!

What do you all think? :)

Does it mean you can only eat for an 8 hour period? I have breakfast at 7am most mornings, which means I wouldn't be able eat after 5pm. Totally unworkable and yet another crazy fad which couldn't be adhered to in the long term. If you have access to SW, you don't need any other eating plan.

It may have been the preferred way of eating back in history but society has moved on since then, so for me and many people, it would be unworkable. Eating is, in fact, all about habit. It could be argued that the 8 hour diet is another 'habit'. A habit is simply a type of human behaviour. You won't convince me that the 8 hour diet is workable, even with the smilies!

I'm just wondering why people wish to combine SW with another plan, i.e. 5:2 or this 8 hour diet (which I have to say I haven't heard of)? I'm assuming this is all in the hope that you will lose weight more rapidly?

SW to me seems like a sensible eating plan for a consistent and steady weight loss, which clearly works. For me personally I don't want the restriction of thinking well I can only eat 500 calories today as it's my fast day or I can't eat before or after a certain time on top of following SW. I think each plan has it's own merits and it's certainly down to the individual, but as it's also well documented that a steady weight loss is the most healthy and sustainable way as opposed to a rapid weight loss so I'm not sure what's to be achieved by putting yourself through it. (No offence intended).

It's just intermittent fasting and has been around a long time. Even the whole 5:2 thing has been around a lot longer than the Horizons, Dr Mosely thing.

It's just a tool to help people stick to a diet. It doesn't suit everyone, just like there is no perfect diet for everyone.

If people are interested in the 8 hour thing, search for "leangains" and you'll find lots of stuff about the benefits.

Fasting is supposed to have other benefits than weight loss, it's supposed to switch on this "repair gene" and can have some great health benefits, although I think studies are still quite in the early days.

If you are naturally a person who doesn't eat breakfast or who does not eat late in the evening then it could work well for you. No point forcing yourself to eat when you don't really want to, even at breakfast time.

For me personally I have tried them both. The 8 hour thing is ok but I just enjoy breakfasts too much to stay with that :) The 5:2 thing seemed ok and I was absolutely fine only eating 500 cals a day (the idea of it was worse than the reality) but I found myself overeating on the non fast days so wasn't good for me. But I do know personally at least 8 different people doing the 5:2 diet who absolutely love it and have lost a steady nice amount of weight on it (average 1 - 1.5lbs a week).

I understand all your points totally but I'm a man of 18 years of age and I just want to be able to go to the beach and take my top off if you know what I mean or go swimming without feeling paranoid. I just want to lose it as fast as I can and just wanted to know if this worked, I would find it okay to eat breakfast around 10 and then dinner about 3 and then maybe a snack about 5 then fast after 6. I have put it to test so far this week anyway and I'll let you all know how it fairs out :)

It's all about calorie restriction really. If eating in an 8 hour window means you eat less calories than you normally would, but still enough to keep you satisfied and give you energy for whatever you need to do, then that is all you need. Good luck with it

One thing I would say though is if following SW then make sure you do eat enough as it can be hard to get a decent amount of calories in to 8 hours, make sure you eat your healthy extras too. Eating too few calories would mean a fast weight loss but in the long run it's counter productive as you would lose a lot of muscle mass which would reduce your metabolism and make it difficult to keep the weight off.

It's all about calorie restriction really. If eating in an 8 hour window means you eat less calories than you normally would, but still enough to keep you satisfied and give you energy for whatever you need to do, then that is all you need. Good luck with it

One thing I would say though is if following SW then make sure you do eat enough as it can be hard to get a decent amount of calories in to 8 hours, make sure you eat your healthy extras too. Eating too few calories would mean a fast weight loss but in the long run it's counter productive as you would lose a lot of muscle mass which would reduce your metabolism and make it difficult to keep the weight off.

Well I would usually have my healthy extras for my breakfast so that should be okay and I've started to workout every night in the house now too. Bought dumbbells and I've been following some muscle strengthening videos on Youtube which are so helpful and you can really feel it the next day! Thanks for the advice! :)

Well I would usually have my healthy extras for my breakfast so that should be okay and I've started to workout every night in the house now too. Bought dumbbells and I've been following some muscle strengthening videos on Youtube which are so helpful and you can really feel it the next day! Thanks for the advice! :)

For some great free strength workouts you can follow at home, search for Nerd Fitness, that is what I used to do before I started going to the gym :)

Proper and continuous exercise is the way to loss weight but this phrase, in my opinion is not right "eat what you want and still loss weight".

Yeah I know, that's what I was saying, I don't believe that part one bit but I've been reading about this 8 hour diet and it has worked for some people so I just thought why not give it a try :)

There's a big section on this forum and there's a section in your pack (at the end of green & original booklet I think). Its basically the 1/3 & 2/3 principle swapped round so its 1/3 free and 2/3 super free. You then have 2 As and 2 Bs (I like this bit!) and 5-15 syns as usual. Generally I get 50-100% extra weight loss doing this but it depends on the person. Ask your consultant when your next in group :eek:)

cavegirl13 said:
I do it but I'm not on Slimming World.And I have been doing it since last year so it is workable and it's not a fad as it's been around for years even before any of us on here were born.:)

The only time I eat before 11am is when I'm on holiday or know I won't be having lunch.:)

Breakfast,lunch and dinner at certain times is a habit we got into.

I'm not on SW either (calorie counting for me), and I do daily fasting on the 14:10 basis rather than 16:8, as that's fine for women. I know it's supposed to provide various health benefits, but I mostly do it because it suits my eating pattern. I eat between 12noon and 10pm in general. Not sure it speeds up losses in particular, but I have lost 8.5 stone, so who knows what's been the main success factor, lol. :) xx

I'm just wondering why people wish to combine SW with another plan, i.e. 5:2 or this 8 hour diet (which I have to say I haven't heard of)? I'm assuming this is all in the hope that you will lose weight more rapidly?

SW to me seems like a sensible eating plan for a consistent and steady weight loss, which clearly works. For me personally I don't want the restriction of thinking well I can only eat 500 calories today as it's my fast day or I can't eat before or after a certain time on top of following SW. I think each plan has it's own merits and it's certainly down to the individual, but as it's also well documented that a steady weight loss is the most healthy and sustainable way as opposed to a rapid weight loss so I'm not sure what's to be achieved by putting yourself through it. (No offence intended).

I feel the same way.

i love the fact that on slimming world I can still eat after like 8pm and still lose weight

Rochelle1 said:
I feel the same way.

i love the fact that on slimming world I can still eat after like 8pm and still lose weight

I've always eaten well after 8pm and still lost weight. :) xx

Back