8 weeks post op - tape and binding question?

sugar_lipswales

Silver Member
I'm 8 weeks post op and was wondering if anyone who has also undergone abdominoplasty could tell me when they stopped using the micropore tape on the scar? I was told by surgeon to stop taping at 8 weeks but I've done some research and some keep taping for 3 months to improve the look of the scar. Also when did they stop using the binding/elastic material? I've tried taking it off for a few hours but it's actually quite uncomfortable and feels all wobbly and unsupported. Any help or advice would be great as I'm such a worrier about these things and I'm getting a little stressed out lol!

Sorry I have no idea, but can you help me? How long would you say I need to be off work? and is it a very painful operation?

Thanks

GSQ

How long you need off work depends on your job, if you work in an office setting you could go back a lot sooner than if you had a more physically demanding job. As for the pain factor I got off rather lightly because my stomach muscles didn't need to be stitched back together as they sometimes do. The initial couple of days were a bit uncomfortable but easily managed with ibuprofen and paracetamol. I think the way to go into it is not to be completely complacent about what is still a major operation but not to think that it will be complete and utter agony. Also the fitter you are just before the op can make a big difference, get into the best shape you can! When is your op taking place? Any questions you have I'd be happy to answer.

sugar_lipswales said:
How long you need off work depends on your job, if you work in an office setting you could go back a lot sooner than if you had a more physically demanding job. As for the pain factor I got off rather lightly because my stomach muscles didn't need to be stitched back together as they sometimes do. The initial couple of days were a bit uncomfortable but easily managed with ibuprofen and paracetamol. I think the way to go into it is not to be completely complacent about what is still a major operation but not to think that it will be complete and utter agony. Also the fitter you are just before the op can make a big difference, get into the best shape you can! When is your op taking place? Any questions you have I'd be happy to answer.

Thank you that's really helpful. I am certainly very fit now, I swim five times a week and have a BP of 105/60.
I agree about the mind set thing, it's what you expect. No date yet, I am still pondering. My work is busy, quite demanding but it's not physical in that sense.
Thanks again, I will come back with more questions when the dates are confirmed.

GSQ

Back