800 cals no weight losd

laura5510

Hi there I have been on 800 cals a day strict diet for 2 weeks and i havent lost any weight in fact 1 day and the only day i cheated by having 1 extra pitta bread. Plus a full 1 instead of a half at lunch 3 halves of pitta bread are allowed on it if you choose 3 from your carb allowance i normally have half for breakfast half for dinner and 2 egg sized potatoes at tea now this 1 day as i was extra hungry i ate a full one at lunch and 1 in the. Evening next day id gained a 1lb the one im on is very strict i put myself on it you are only meant to stay on it 3 wks its 800 cals and a. Nhs 1 for pre op bariatric surgery patients. you also take a vitamin im losing nothing when i stick to it im in my 50s 5ft 1inch tall the calories seem to many for my metabolism yet to cut down more id be really hungry.As the diet is not ketogenic and the reccomended cals for my height age etc is higher than 800 if i ate what they said id be 4 stone heavier in no time anyone met up with this

Sometimes eating too little calories stops us from losing weight. I wouldn't go below 1200. If your stats are right you don't really have much to loss.
I wouldn't do a very low cal diet without seeing a dietitian. It's not just about the calories it's getting the right vitamins,minerals etc into your body.

That too large of a deficit which means your body is going to hold on to everything instead of "allowing" you to lose fat/weight. Try 1200 calories instead of you're wanting to stay low on calories.

800 calories is nowhere near enough. You've probably but your body in to starvation mode which means it will be holding on to everything you've got therefore preventing you from losing weight. Consult your GP or ask to see a dietitian to discuss a healthy calorie level for you that will suits your goals

Hi Laura,

I wonder whether you got the answers you needed. From what you say it sound to me you may be going with a heavy carb meal plan and that can slow losses.

I'm on the Cambridge at the moment and on step 1b which is also 800 cals a day, being in ketosis I'm burning off fat.

Maybe you could try a protein rich plan with loads of seasonal salads and green veg. Also don't be scared of using olive oil for dressings. I use it and love it in my good chest days and still loose. Also am probably peri menopausal and have a seriously dodgy thyroid which I am taking medications for.

I don't think it's too little calories, you just dont need so much as we get older. Also maybe shake it up and try a couple if fast day's, just 500-600 cals a day twice a week...??

Hope you're well
:)
X

Just posting to make sure there isn't any mis information for newbies in the CC world.

If you are truly eating 800 calories of food a day, as in you have weighed, measured and accurately logged everything you have put into your mouth, including liquids, you will lose weight. You will. It might not show for a couple of weeks whilst the body tries to catch up with what's going on, but you WILL lose.

Here's where we counter the potentially damaging things:
  1. Unless you are on a short term ketonic diet or a fast day as part of an appropriate fasting diet (e.g. you have higher calorie days the majority of the time) - 800 calories is not enough. In fact it's not enough for a 3 1/2 foot, 100lb, 70 year old woman (just to clarify the less calories as age point).
  2. NHS pre-bariatric diets are for pre-bariatric surgery people. As in Obese people. Not you. Unless you are under the care of a consultant and preparing for bariatric surgery, don't follow the diet.
  3. The fewer calories you eat, the more your metabolism slows. Its a vicious circle. Eat more to lose more. Only cut your calories to the level you have to and no more. The body is very efficient, it'll try make amends to counteract the less energy you're giving it.

800 calories, , there is no way this can be good for you. The reason you aren't losing weight is that your body has entered starvation mode and is now automatically storing everything as fat for backup.

I hope you consulted a doctor before starting such a restrictive diet as it could lead to long term effects, physically and mentally.

Back