97% meat sausages

jaylou

Gold Member
Okay, so I'm confused....

Yesterday I bought some sausages which are Debbie and Andrews harrogate pork sausages. They are 97% lean pork shoulder, salt, spices, balsamic vinegar and sodium sulphite (preservative). Thats it, no rusk, no fillers and no rubbish so why, I ask are they a whopping 4.5 syns each on red???

These are practically all meat and are marketed as really lean pork shoulder!!

:mad: Any ideas? I'm gonna eat them anyway but I don't understand why they are so high!!!

I'm really disappointed as I thought these would be practically free

Where did you find the syn values?

Then that must be right ((sob!))
Maybe it because it pork which is a "fatty meat" even tho it's free on red?
in the body opt book it say Pork, reduced fat sossies, raw/grilled 2 syns on red per 28g. Is this lower than your 28g? If so I would use 2 syns per 28g as it lean pork in them (If that makes sense!)

I know, it's crazy though, if I made my own by mincing pork shoulder and adding salt spices and balsamic vinegar then they would be free!!!

Hmmmm!

There are things that confuse me too! like chick peas suddenly gain syns if you blend them, fruit get syns when you cook it and couscous is syn free so long as you don't make it into a cake!

There are things that confuse me too! like chick peas suddenly gain syns if you blend them, fruit get syns when you cook it and couscous is syn free so long as you don't make it into a cake!

Lemon cous cous cake is 1/2 a syn per slice but I always thought that was due to the lemon curd :confused:

It seem to be a "sticky one" with the couscous, some consultants say the cake is free, some say because you are using the couscous in the place of flour it should be synned! But if YOU say it is free, and don't suddenly put on weight, carry on!

I do think this is one of the problems with the way food is labelled now, saying something is 97% fat free automatically leads you to think it is going to be good for you and therefore low in syns, but quite often they can still be high in calories

I had the same issue with some yogurts I bought from tesco's last week, they are labelled as FAT FREE Raspberry yogurts, but when I got them home, I noticed that although they have 0.1g sat fat in them, the 150g pot has 150 cals in it!!!!, much more than an activia which is the same size????

I think its also good to remember that with things like this you are not sure as to which bit of pork is in the sausage it could be nasty bits and still be classed as pork hon

did you use the free food option before you put all the info in? as pork is free on red. i done this yesterday with some coleslaw that i brought from the shop after checking with my leader first

Back