A Few Questios about SS

That's_So_Fetch

Gold Member
Hi all, i hope you're all well and your diets are going well.

I have a few questions about CD SS that i am hoping someone can help me with. I have been trying to SS for the past 2 weeks but i have been having a few problems (mainly a very sore throat and sore/burnt/sandpaper feeling in my mouth and occasionally heartburn).

I was wondering if its ok to have:
  • Green Tea
  • Sugar Free Chewing Gum (to get rid of the burnt/sore feeling in my mouth, but only as a last resort)
  • Neurofen (or will the sugar coating take me out of ketosis)
  • Anything for heartburn
I also have a dentist appointment at the end of the month where i will need a filling (so i will have to have that injection to numb my mouth) and i was wondering if i should eat something little before the appointment (for some reason i'm afraid i'll pass out, but thats just my anxiety) or will i be ok with continuing with just having my shake before the appointment.

I would appreciate your advice and experiences because i am trying my best to stick with CD SS through the pain. I have spoken to my CDC about this and she has let me know what i can take but i would like to know if anyone has been through anything similar and what you did about it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I hope you all had a lovely xmas and new years :)

M_B xx

unsure about the dentist hun, green tea i think is ok as most people have mentioned it, chewing gum again mmm dont know sorry, i take anything for heart burn which the porridge gives me and head ache tablets all the time with no bad effects x

Thank you for your replies :). I didnt expect such a quick response, lol.

I asked my CDC about the dentist and she wasnt sure either but she did say maybe i should have small SS+ meal if i feel weak at all after the appointment. I'm just alittle anxious about having the injection having had no food in my system.

I have been takin paracetamol for pain but its not effective so i would like to take neurofen.

Thank you for your help, i really do appreciate it :) xx

Green tea is fine. Yes also to nurafen. No to sugar free gum ... (official line).

Not sure about heart burn .... been looking in my book and can't find anything. If CD Counsellor comes online she'll know - if not I'll email CD and find out for you.

I had a tooth filled - and just had my usual shake before hand ..... poor you!

Will let you know about HB unless anyone else comes on with answers!

Thank you ever so much for your replies:). I'm glad i can have neurofen, its a life saver.

I'll forget about the sugar free gum, i was only considering it as a last resort because the sore mouth is really very painfull and my CDC hasnt heard of anyone having it before.

Thank you for the link, i will have a look at it now. My heartburn is gettin better but i just want to know what i can take for it if i get it again.

I dont like the dentist so i think thats why i'm so anxious. I am thinking of rearranging it untill i start SS+ (March time) because i've not got any pain but i have rearranged it enough times, lol.

Thank you again for your replies :) xx

I had a 4 hour dentist apointment (porcelain veneer) and I had half a cd bar before I went in and half when I came out, and I was ok.

I have been suffering terrible stomach pains & heartburn since before starting CD (possible gastritis/ulcer) but the diet definitely makes it worse. I'm on omeprazole and ranitidine prescribed by the doctor but sometimes this isn't enough so I also take gaviscon advance. I take it a couple of times a day everyday for about 2 weeks of the month (my extreme pain seems to be linked to menstruating, TMI!!!). It doesn't knock me out of ketosis and my doctor is fine with me doing what i I have to to get through the diet.
I also chew sugar free gum, at least 4 pieces a day and it doesn't seem to have any effect on ketosis but it may increase your hunger. xx

Thank you for your replies :).

DR, i might do what you did and have a CD bar before i go to my appointment (if i can have them by then). If not that then i'll just do SS+ for that day although 'm still mega anxious about it, lol.

LA, i'm sorry to hear about your stomach problems, it must be so painful. I have a little heartburn now and then and it kills, especially when it keeps me up at night. I'm happy that you're getting through it ok though and its not effecting your weightloss. I hope you continue to do well on the diet.

I think i will leave the chewing gum as a very very very last resort. I still have a painful sore/burnt feeling mouth but i dont want to risk getting hungry because i am struggling with drining enough water as it is. I have to drink it warm because cold water makes me very unwell n warm water is disgusting.

Thank you all for letting me know about Neurofen. Its the only thing that works for me but i am still anxious about the coating effecting ketosis. Its taken me so long to get back into the swing of things with CD and i just dont want anything to mess it up.

Thanks again for all you replies :) xx

By the way, i've just noticed your sigs and you're all doing so well with the diet and its such inspiration. Well done and keep up the great work :) xx

Forgot to mention about the Nurofen, they're Ibuprofen so don't take on an empty stomach as they can cause ulcers, (docs thinks that's what's caused my problems). Hope things improve for you, thanks for the rep power. xx

Forgot to mention about the Nurofen, they're Ibuprofen so don't take on an empty stomach as they can cause ulcers, (docs thinks that's what's caused my problems). Hope things improve for you, thanks for the rep power. xx

Thanks for letting me know about the neurofen, i couldn't do the diet if i got an ulcer, i'm such a whimp, lol.

xx :)

I take Gaviscon, the little tablet ones, when heartburn is bad. I dont know what the official line is but I couldn't cope without them.

Good luck at the dentist.

Oh yeh, i have seen these in the supermarket, and the sachet ones, gosh i totally forgot about them. I wonder if we can have them on CD? Maybe some1 will come along and let us know.

Thanks for your reply :) xx

Realistically I think you'd have to be a long term abuser (as I was, took it for everything whether I'd eaten or not). But, as our stomachs are never what I'd call "full", I'd go easy on them.
As my CDC said to me, at the end of the day the diet is hard enough without feeling crap too and you've got to do/take whatever you need to make yourself feel better. If it means taking some sort of over the counter remedy that may/may not knock you out of ketosis then so be it. xx

I think i will take ibruprofen instead (thanks Juey). We've never had ibruprofen in the house, thats why we take neurofen. I take it for everything because i find paracetomal to be useless.

I dont intend to use it much on CD tho, only when the pain is unbearable. I get anxious enough as it is.

Thank you ever so much for your replies, i really needed the advice.

I'm still worried about the dentist tho,lol. I just have this image of me not being able to breath when i get the injection and passing out or having an anxity attack.

I might pop into the dentist and ask if i can have the appointment in March time. I know i need the filling but i'm not in pain and all i will be having till march is my shakes. I just dont want to tell them i am doing a VLCD because i can imagine them giving me a lecture about how its bad for me.

Anyway, i will shut up now, i do let my anxiety get the better of me sometimes, lol.

Thanks again for all your help :) xx

Hi MB :)

Are you able to have the water flavourings with your warm water? I know how hard it is to get the water down cold and I would be lost without the flavouring at times..xx :)

Hi MB :)

Are you able to have the water flavourings with your warm water? I know how hard it is to get the water down cold and I would be lost without the flavouring at times..xx :)

I daren't have the water flavourings, i cant imagine how it would taste, lol.

I used to have the orange flavour when i first did CD and when i could drink cold water and it was soo gorgeous. I wish i could drink cold water but everytime i try, i end up gettin a very bad chest and sore throat and i have to come off the diet :(

I am going to start having green tea from tomorrow (if i get time to buy it from town) and see how i get on with that. I'm getin used to the warm water now but i dont look forward to it :( and its dificult to drink water if i am out the house because you cant buy it warm, lol.

xx

I daren't have the water flavourings, i cant imagine how it would taste, lol.

I used to have the orange flavour when i first did CD and when i could drink cold water and it was soo gorgeous. I wish i could drink cold water but everytime i try, i end up gettin a very bad chest and sore throat and i have to come off the diet :(

I am going to start having green tea from tomorrow (if i get time to buy it from town) and see how i get on with that. I'm getin used to the warm water now but i dont look forward to it :( and its dificult to drink water if i am out the house because you cant buy it warm, lol.

xx

I'm not a fan of the Orange water flavouring but I do love the Summer Berry one. Maybe you could try that one if it would help get the water down during the winter?

I can't drink chilled water when it's so cold anyway at the mo, but I can easily get down room temperature or warm water with the berry flavour in it. A godsend for me hun..xx :)

Back