A little is better than nothing

stivesliz

Gold Member
yes I am still here and still hovering around in the background. Rejoined class ( again ) 3 weeks ago and got my half stone on Thursday which I am chuffed about.

And due to lots of personal problems and pressures etc I am going to hold my hands up and admit that I am NOT doing it 100% but probably nearer to 80% lol. My new philosophy is that something is better than nothing at the moment and it seems to be working. I am not going to put any more stress on myself - just try and go with the flow.

So all of you out there that put added pressure on yourselves, please remember that life sometimes does get in the way so let's all try and chill. One day I will be a sylph ha ha.

welcome back! =] and well done on your losses!! ive been in limbo myself.... gaining and loosing the same 6lbs since xmas, so finally getting my head down and being motivated to loose 1lb a week(ish) heh

I think you should pressure yourself to lose the weight.Life does get in the way but you have to plan around the situ's.Otherwise you will be forever on a 'diet'.
You relax and chill about it you will fall off the wagon again.It's easily done.
Looking back now I wish I had stuck at it 30 odd years ago as I wouldn't of had 30 years of wishing I wasn't fat and getting depressed about it.

So for the young ones on here trying to lose the weight stick at it now. 6 - 12 months of losing the weight now is nothing compared to keep falling off the wagon for the next 30 years..:)

I totally agree I think half heartened is an excuse to just eat what you what and not feel guilty but only person who suffers is yourself as you won't get where you want/need to be. But it depends how important this is to you individually. ( you meaning people in general not the op)

Life goes up and down and if food is the comfort for it then this needs addressing not ignoring. I find my problems easier to tackle when confident and not also dealing with my gloom of being over weight. Me being in control of my food and weight leads me to be so much more confident.

If you read my original post, I said that I have had some horrendous personal problems recently but know that I have to lose weight so am trying as hard as I can. When I say about life getting in the way I am not talking about meals out and parties, I am actually talking about some very serious stuff that would make most of us fall off the wagon.
What I was trying to say is that I am not putting any more pressure on myself as I am already under a lot anyway and oddly enough the events of my life during the last couple of months are not ones that I planned on or felt at the time I could work around.

No ones having a go your journey is your own abd if it works for you then that's what you need to do. It doesn't work for me. I have had some horrific times to go through but I've come to a decision that food isn't the answer. It's as easy to grab and apple as it is a bar a chocolate and the chocolate makes me feel so much better for the minute it takes to eat it but in long run it makes me miserable.

If your losses are good and your getting to target then :) that's what matters for you.

If its working for you then stick at it. Like you said something is better than nothing. But i would say as soon as your ready throw yourself back into it 100% and put yourself first.

I went through some really difficult times with my dad last year and altho some weeks i know i hadnt done my best because id been at the hospital for hours and grabbed what i could. I still went to group. I will admit i did put all my weight back on and i can only blame myself.. but i do think that if i hadnt of continued going to group it would have been 2.5 stone instead of 1.5 stone. Back on the wagon now and putting myself first!! X

No ones having a go your journey is your own abd if it works for you then that's what you need to do. It doesn't work for me. I have had some horrific times to go through but I've come to a decision that food isn't the answer. It's as easy to grab and apple as it is a bar a chocolate and the chocolate makes me feel so much better for the minute it takes to eat it but in long run it makes me miserable.

If your losses are good and your getting to target then :) that's what matters for you.

Am not saying that anyone is having a go and I am actually feeling quite proud of myself for almost keeping on track. All of us on here have food issues that need to be addressed as apposed to ignoring - if we didn't, then we wouldn't need to lose weight would we?
I was just merely saying that it could go either way for me with what I have been through recently and that if I do have the odd slip up then I am not going to make myself feel even worse than I already do already.

Am not saying that anyone is having a go and I am actually feeling quite proud of myself for almost keeping on track. All of us on here have food issues that need to be addressed as apposed to ignoring - if we didn't, then we wouldn't need to lose weight would we?
I was just merely saying that it could go either way for me with what I have been through recently and that if I do have the odd slip up then I am not going to make myself feel even worse than I already do already.

Ok good luck with your journey and hope things go on the up for you. :) x

If you read my original post, I said that I have had some horrendous personal problems recently but know that I have to lose weight so am trying as hard as I can. When I say about life getting in the way I am not talking about meals out and parties, I am actually talking about some very serious stuff that would make most of us fall off the wagon.
What I was trying to say is that I am not putting any more pressure on myself as I am already under a lot anyway and oddly enough the events of my life during the last couple of months are not ones that I planned on or felt at the time I could work around.

Have to say I agree with you. It's not about always doing it 100% I also have had personal problems this year and as such have only lost 4 pounds since Xmas but know if I wasn't trying to keep control I would have put on a stone. Sometimes you have to say I am doing this as best as I can at the moment life does happen and there ate challenges along the way. Good luck with your journey. A little is defiantly better than nothing!

I think realistically for most of us if we dont want to gain back any weight we lose we will be forever on a diet and to do that forever is likely to include some times that arent 100% on plan and dont think should feel guilty for that whether its a party or something horrible or whatever.
I think Liz is right to be pleased with herself for every meal/day on plan as its sad and destructive to see people beating themselves up over the bad days/meals.
I reached my target nearly 2 years ago and have regained some of it and so am not where I want to be and for over a year have been up and down the same half a stone or so and yeah if I stuck to it 100% of the time Id have lost it and kept it off but at least the days I have stuck to it have stopped me getting even bigger again and at the end of the day of the off plan days have been great fun and some of them theres been a lot more to worry about than how fat I am.
Fair play to those of you who stick to it 100% if thats the way for you, I did it for nearly 2years and thats what helped me lose about 9 stone but I dont want to do 100% 24/7 for the rest of my life to be honest so have to take the ups along with the downs.
Nice to hear off you Liz x

I think that Liz is doing the right thing. Being 80% on plan is a zillion times more healthy that being 100% off plan and it takes a strong minded person to even contemplate trying to lose weight when burdened with other issues too. Keep up the good work, Liz :party0011:

thinking of you Liz whatever your problems are right now, you will get through them and I applaud you 100% for being honest and acknowledging how you are managing your journey. Slow and steady is ALWAYS the way to do it and I totally agree taking some of the pressure off yourself is the best thing to do.

good luck and look forward to hearing how your journey is going xx

Welcome back liz so good to see you. Sorry to hear you are still having a bad time, I totally agree that being on plan as much as you feel able to be is better than not at all. I say well done to you for being on plan despite everything.
Different things work for everyone and if we all fitted into neat little boxes able to be perfect at all times then there wouldn't be the need for this forum in the first place.
Always here for you hun xxx

Last edited:
And a big hi from me Liz. Chin up chuck, just do your best like it sounds as if you are and keep coming on here for support! :)

Hey Liz

Its great to have you back hunni :)
You do what's best for you don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do.
Something is better than nothing so you've taken a great step and I know when you are feeling much better you can then dedicate yourself 100% to the plan. Its not always easy to stick to and like you say life and problems can sometimes get in our way.
Either way Hun you know I'll be here to support you all the way and I will never judge what you should and shouldn't be doing :)

Don't be a stranger though as I love having you here and miss ya xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Rejoined class ( again ) 3 weeks ago and got my half stone on Thursday which I am chuffed about.

Well done on getting your half stone award:happy096:

Quick update guys - 4 week weigh in last night and I have lost 8.5 pounds. I am chuffed to bits - have even decided to COOK PROPER FOOD this week instead of jacket tatties, roasts and pasta.....when I say 'proper' I mean that I am going to go back to being 'culinary Liz' as opposed to 'oh this will do cos I can't be bothered Liz' xxxxxxx

Back