A little story

Caz

Repeat Offender
I just wanted to share a little story with you. I'm hoping that it MIGHT inspire a few people. Maybe it won't, I don't know.

I've always been fat and I mean always. As a 14/15 year old I was buying size 18/20. Within a couple of years I'd ballooned up to a 24. A tight 24. There are lots of reasons behind it but I won't bore you with those, they're not really what matter not.

About 3 years ago I bought a dress for my aunt's wedding. I'd been dieting, I did Cambridge and lost 3 stone, put some back on, was working to get it off by health eating. I didn't have long to buy a dress as I had to wait for my first pay slip from my summer job so I had to go and buy something that day. I tried debenhams, nothing fit. Next, TK Maxx, everywhere, nothing fit. Nothing in 'fat people shops' was suitable. So I went to Monsoon and tried on the only dress I could afford in the biggest size they had. It didn't really fit, it was tight, uncomfortable but it would have to do. So I wore the dress, I just stood up and at up very straight and tried not to breathe out too much! Nice then I've never worn it again.

I put on a couple of stone again. Worked it off with calorie counting and now S&S. I'm currently 3lbs away from my lowest ever adult weight. A weight I probably haven't been since I was 14/15. So I decided to try on the dress with, to be honest, a mind full of dread preparing myself for the disappointment. To my surprise, it fit. It doesn't 'just' fit. It fits comfortably. I can slide it on without tugging hard and without even undoing the zip. I can bend, slouch and even breathe like a normal person!

ForumRunner_20130121_212646.png

ForumRunner_20130121_212653.png

You're probably wondering what my point is so I'll hurry up and get to it! Never in my life have I felt beautiful. Never in my life have I felt proud of myself or my body. Never in my life have I really felt like I was worth something. Today I do. Today I've realised that losing weight and getting to where I want to be isn't a far off dream, it's not something that's just an unreachable and unattainable wish. Today I realised that I might not be where I want to be YET but I can sure as hell be proud of where I've come from. That was actually a very emotional moment for me. I've never felt those things. So if you're like me, if you think those things too, I just want to say to you that you can do it. It might take a while, there will be ups and downs but you can do it. If I can, anyone can.

Aww thank you for sharing, actually bought tears to my eyes...

you look lovely in your dress... And you ARE worth something, you are an inspiration to many on this forum. Thank you xx

Caroline thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts & emotions :)

You sound like you have turned a big corner! Glad you can see the sunshine now :D

Keep it up! I wish you all the happiness in the world.

Gxx

Thank you ladies. I know it sounds crazy as all I did was try on a dress but I feel like it was literally life changing. Suddenly I feel like I love and accept myself for who I am, not who I could be.

What a lovely post! Well done you! X

Caroline - :D:D:D

You made me cry. In a good way. I'm so totally with you on the never feeling pretty, never being proud of yourself and have so very many times had that same hunt round all the shops. I too could just about maybe if I buy it in a stretchy material fit into a Monsoon biggest size - with Spanx underneath and standing straight all day. My ambition was to buy something from Primark I could get into! I would buy myself target dresses that would just sit in my wardrobe waiting for me to lose the fat to get into them. I don't really know what size I got to, as all my 22 clothes were stretchy ones - I can guess that I was probably at least a 24 in "proper" clothes.

I just want to echo your sentiments about what can be acheived with S&S. It's amazing, I feel so proud of myself, I was cleansing my face last night and looking in the mirror I thought "do you know what girl, you're actually not bad looking for 41" - I've never thought something nice about myself before. I never imagined I would be less than a size 14. I'm about there already and I'm still in the obese range! I've bought 12's for my holiday in June, and I am really starting to believe that I could even maybe one day be a size 10.

And that's just nuts!

Caroline that is such an amazing story that I can actually relate to. A few years ago I bought a gorgeous dress from Topshop in the sale. It was short, strapless and a size 16 (which is probably a 14 in most shops). I did Cambridge a couple of years ago and got down to my lowest adult weight of 12.7 stone. I tried the dress one day to see how many inches I needed to lose to zip it up, and magically it fit like a glove! I have never felt such an amazing feeling, it was like the best day of my life.

I am now trying to work my way down to that weight again, and hopefully soon ill actually be able to wear the dress as I never had an occasion to wear it before gaining weight again! You've just reminded me of that moment and really motivated me. Thank you :)

Thanks again for all the lovely comments ladies. Things have completely changed for me it seems. Today I walked around the supermarket with a basket full of veg and protein and for once I didn't think that people would look at me thinking how that can't possibly be for me because we all know I can't possibly eat healthy things like that. I bought a health and fitness magazine and for once didn't feel ashamed to do that, I didn't think how the cashier would wonder why on earth I was bothering to buy it. I know it sounds ridiculous, it probably is, but I really was that self conscious. Now? I just don't care! Walked around barely even noticing people and didn't think for a second about what they might be thinking about me. Next step... going out dressed nice and not feeling like everyone is looking at me wondering why I even bothered! Baby steps before reaching that one though lol

Noodles you've done amazingly. Me and my boyfriend were only saying the other day how fantastic you've done and how inspirational that is!!

Glad I could help Felix :) You're really not that far away from that weight now, just another month or so and you'll be there!

Wow!!! That's such a lovely post!!! It's so lovely to see people come through the other side as such!!! I've been having major struggles the past few weeks but your story has definitely inspired me so thank you!!! Your an inspiration and you must be so proud of yourself!!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Really lovely post. I can totally relate to your story. Well done for getting this far and I'm sure you will get to your goal weight:). I've been trying to get back on to s&s for months now but decided enough is enough im starting properly tomorrow and your story has really inspired me. Thanks.

Caroline it's almost like you are talking about me. I so get where you are coming from and I now know that I will get my target.

As I say to everyone if I can do it anyone can you just have to have determination

You look fabulous in your dress ;)

Back