Accident at the Dean Water Hotel

fillymum

synful soul
Some of you might remember that when I went to my Great Nieces wedding at the Dean Water Hotel. I had an accident. An elderly gentleman who was in front of me on a flight of stone steps collapsed backwards and knocked me backwards down the steps. I was hurt. My elbow has a chip in the bone and my breast that was operated on for breast cancer has been so sore and painful. that it has involved having to see my oncologist.

I contacted the hotel to let them know that my injuries were worse than originally thought and that if they had installed a hand rail on either side of the steps instead of just up the middle the accident need never have happened.

I also pointed out that their first aiders were pretty useless and that the manager was more interested in getting the meal served than a guest who had been hurt. I do understand that they have to keep things going but he was a horrid individual.

This is part of the very unprofessional reply that I received after 3 weeks, oh and by the way I am not interested in litigation, it was an accident, I just felt that for a very small amount of money the stairway could be made safer.

"From a first aid point of view perhaps we will have to reconsider our options as we are under no obligation to provide first aid to guests. In future possibly we should simply recommend the injured party visit hospital where fully qualified medics will provide assistance. Sometimes amongst the family / guests there are trained medical personnel who may be willing to help. Should this be the case then this would obviously be a bonus but these qualified guests may themselves not wish to provide any assistance and take a step back. Hopefully this would not be the case but you never know with people in this day and age."

I wonder could anyone out there verify whether this is true

Personally I think it is a pretty disgusting reply, he also said that I discarded my sling before the end of the meal. The sling had been so badly applied I was in agony. He pointed out that my sister and both seemed to be in good spirits during the evening..................his powers of observation really are not good as I hardly moved from the same chair all night were I sat quietly with my brother and his wife. If his reference to spirits was alcohol he is barking up the wrong tree there. My sister does not drink and I felt too sick to have more than a couple of glasses of wine.

I feel he has been rude and unprofessional .

There is no requirement in law for a company to provide first aid to their customers, only to their own staff and contractors.

However if first aiders do provide aid it should be to a suitable standard.

A lot of companies now refuse to provide to first aid to customers as if they refuse there is no consequence, but if they do it badly then there are consequences, if that makes sense!

(this explains it better than I did first aid, first capital connect, st albans, customers, rail, ambulance, first aid training, first aid regulations, first aid legislation)

So yes he was rude, but not technically or legally wrong)

Thank you so much for that Jezzi. Your explanation was fine and perfectly understandable.

This is one guest that will not be giving the hotel good feedback.

Yes his reply was rude & abrupt. I find these days the same level of customer service or professionalism just isn't offered as it used to be, I don't think 'managers' are offered the same level of training or even of a managerial level. The reply could have been better phrased & more custmer service driven, rather than 'hotel' driven. There is a training need here!

I'd agree they maybe should mention there is no need to provide first aid, but it's the tone they've used their point of view/opinion could have been phrased much nicer. It is totally unprofessional of them to offer their opinion to how you appeared later in the evening.

It doesn't make you want to go back there, or recommend the hotel.

Yes his reply was rude & abrupt. I find these days the same level of customer service or professionalism just isn't offered as it used to be, I don't think 'managers' are offered the same level of training or even of a managerial level. The reply could have been better phrased & more custmer service driven, rather than 'hotel' driven. There is a training need here!

I'd agree they maybe should mention there is no need to provide first aid, but it's the tone they've used their point of view/opinion could have been phrased much nicer. It is totally unprofessional of them to offer their opinion to how you appeared later in the evening.

It doesn't make you want to go back there, or recommend the hotel.

There will be no recommendations from me and both my sister and I will leave poor feedback on every site we can find.

It's a sad fact that people in general are no longer willing to help another individual for fear of litigation of they get it wrong. I think the world was a much nicer place when people cared about each other before the amublance chasing mentality took over.

You were treated poorly on the day but even worse in my eyes that you should receive such a rude reply.

I can certainly see how he became a manager with his excellent levels of customer service ( and yes that IS sarcasm !!) and i would certainly rush to visit an establisment that employs such stars !

Thank You everyone for your input. It is very appreciated.

I have emailed the hotel manager again and quoted your comments to him. I did that on Friday evening..............to date I have had no reply.

It is a great shame that such a lovely venue is in the hands of such an incompetent.

The owner is someone I know through the world of equestrianism. She is a very respected and talented horsewoman. So far I have avoided contacting him but I am beginning to think that she should know that her lovely hotel is not being done any favours. I do know her well enough to speak to her personally.

In my most recent communication with the manager I have once again pointed out that this is not a matter of litigation and had he replied in a more compassionate way all the unpleasantness could have been avoided.

I'd speak to the owner if I were you, especially since you know her. I'm not saying have a go and do it just to get him into trouble, but if I were the owner I would want to know how customers are being treated in situations like that. The owner is quite lucky that you know her personally and can tell her what's happened. Behaviour like this could really put people off going and could really be bad for her business.

Definately speak to the owner especially as you know them it will be easier as the owner will know that you aren't 'making it up', I honestly don't know how some of these people get a job in such a customer service driven industry!! Hope you are recovering well.

I had some trouble with a hotel last year and the management were awful and treated me like something they had stood in so I understand how you feel.

It is situations like this where websites like Trip Advisor come in.....

Back