Actifry, Philips or neither?

chocko1

Gold Member
Hi guys. Bought a Tefal Actifry when they first came out (cost a fortune!:eek:) and tried to make crisp, golden chips with it but wasn't particularly impressed so, in time, it found its place of residence at the back of the cupboard, its new neighbour being the Tefal Soup Maker :sigh: - they must have made a killing out of me at Tefal :rolleyes:! Anyway, they eventually found their way on a one way ticket to Ebay land! After reading favourable comments, I am now wondering whether to spend my hard earned cash on the Phillip's Airfryer or whether to just give up and put up with the SW chips, which never come out of the oven looking like they do in the magazine! :eek: Thoughts please anyone? :wave_cry:

I have the Breville version and I have to say the SW chips are really amazing when done in it. :)

Hiya I have an actify and love it. Its my go to appliance when I need to do a quick meal for the kids . I also use it for my chips, mini roasties, homemade chicken nuggets and vegetables.

I've learnt that I've just to be inventive with it.

I also made a pack with myself that I had to use it a minimum of twice a week to make its worth :)

Thanks for that, guys. Didn't even realise Breville were doing one too. Suppose they're all jumping on the bandwagon! Do you still have to add a drop of oil to the Breville one, Caretaker? Wow, you're definitely imaginative with yours, Cheekypasterfield! Think they updated the Tefal version, following on from lots of complaints so could possibly try Tefal again - so long as they've come down in price a bit!

less than 5ml of oil but of course i use FryLite we have had our for nearly 2 years :) but they are well worth the initial outlay, go for it. :)

Thanks for replying, both of you. Never would have thought you could have got away with using Frylight in it - would have been scared of it drying out, catching fire, etc. Does the Frylight make it taste as good as with oil and do they still seem a bit slimy, as my SW chips always turn out, or do they still crisp up, as with oil? Sorry for so many questions?

I've found there isn't any difference with using the spray. They come out crispy and dry. Ive switched to using canola oil which is the same as fry light. They have worked every time.

I cover the potatoes with spray and cook them for 40 - 45 mins. This is same whether I'm doing chips or new potatoes

I brought my actifry home on Friday evening and so far used it at every meal. Made porridige in it yesterday, scrambled tortilla this morning (nom nom), ribs and wedges at lunchtime mmmmmm

Just searched the website and found a recipe for crisps mmmmmmm

The soup maker's really handy - fresh soup in about 20 minutes, chunky or smooth and you just throw everything in. Makes a lovely pea and ham. After having bought that though, I then bought a slow cooker, which you can also apparently make soup in, although I haven't tried yet so kind of running out of space in my kitchen! :D Seem to only be hearing good things about the Actifry though so I've decided to spend my Tesco Clubcard vouchers on one. Been saving them for ages so it seems like a good idea. Thanks for the link, LittleHippo and your valued opinion on the Actifry. :) x

Back