'Add a meal' idea?

LucySera

Tomorrow morning I'm due at the hospital for a medical infusion (joy of joys). Due to the nature of the drug, I always feel pretty wrecked after and I know I'll likely need more than just the 3 mealpacks to get through the day. Last time I had 4 mealpacks rather than my usual 3, but I was considering maybe 2 shakes plus a low carb meal. :)

I'm thinking 2 egg mushroom omelette - cooked with a little frylight spray? Low carbs so I should stay in ketosis, and I've always enjoyed eggs as they're light on the stomach. I know a few people have been trying add a meal, and I'm curious how it's affected losses - and also whether anyone has experimented with eggs?

If I feel reasonable then I'll try and stick to SS, but it's better to have a contingency plan to limit potential disaster :p

Tomorrow morning I'm due at the hospital for a medical infusion (joy of joys). Due to the nature of the drug, I always feel pretty wrecked after and I know I'll likely need more than just the 3 mealpacks to get through the day. Last time I had 4 mealpacks rather than my usual 3, but I was considering maybe 2 shakes plus a low carb meal. :)

I'm thinking 2 egg mushroom omelette - cooked with a little frylight spray? Low carbs so I should stay in ketosis, and I've always enjoyed eggs as they're light on the stomach. I know a few people have been trying add a meal, and I'm curious how it's affected losses - and also whether anyone has experimented with eggs?

If I feel reasonable then I'll try and stick to SS, but it's better to have a contingency plan to limit potential disaster :p

I'm not doing Slim and save just yet but I am doing Exante working solutions which is 3 packs a day and a protein meal. One of the meals I often have is a 2 egg omelette cooked in fry light. It does not affect Ketosis so please do no worry.

Do not go by my losses though as I am a notoriously slow loser anyway, but I am sure you will be fine. Hope all goes well at the Hospital for you tomorrow. :)

Can't help too much on the meal front Lucy other than to say that I've had the omelette mix from the low carb megastore and it was fine for keeping me in ketosis (but tasted awful! :)). Sending hugs :hug99: for tomorrow though and hope it all goes well.

I have eat Cheese, Eggs and Steak when I have been desperate and still lost so I think as long as no carb you should be fine hun, dont put the diet before your well being, if you need something then you have it, you can get back 100% in a few days xx

I used to do the 790 on cambridge diet and its how I'm approaching the slim and save. I do a chicken breast/salmon with 3 tbsp of broccoli. (maybe a bit of sweetcorn too!!)

Thanks for all the advice - I think I'll definately add a meal and not worry too much about it :)
Although biologics always make me feel rotten afterwards for a little while, I find that as long as I keep up my energy by sleeping a lot and eating I'll start to feel better quickly enough. I'm reassured that the general consensus that as long as I avoid the carbs, a day off sole sourcing shouldn't hurt. I suppose no-one ever got fat on eggs or plain fish ;)

Update: I went off of SS a little yesterday, but had no gains this morning so not too worried. I had a chocolate shake pre-infusion, then a one egg omelette at about 3pm and a strawberry shake in the evening. Unfortunately my tummy was a little off and I threw up several times throughout the day so I'm not sure how many calories were really ingested (oops). I would however recommend a mushroom omelette to anyone who moves onto SS+/810 - it's lovely and light. I'm feeling better but still a bit weak and spaced out today so I'm planning to do something similar today with an omelette and shakes - and then back to SS tomorrow! :)

Sorry you were sick but good to hear you kept to your plan re adding the meal. You're doing the right thing today if you don't feel right. I'm sure the hospital wouldn't want you to be going back to SS if you're not feeling right, and there's plenty of time to get back to SSing when you're feeling 100% again. I can just see myself with a mushroom omelette and salad. Mmm! Might try to include meals like that over my Xmas break, especially when I'm approaching the return to SSing come January. If I low carb the weekend before it might make getting back into ketosis easier than my previous goes at it with the carb laden 'last supper' just before :)

That's a good plan! I intend to come off of SS maybe on the 22nd December and be back on on the 26th (hopefully!). Although I'll be off, I intend to try and eat low carb as much as possible - apart from Christmas day when I plan to exercise moderation but not carb deprivation! I see many omelettes in my future ;)

Today I had a one egg omelette with mushrooms (negligible carbs), a Slim and Save vegetable soup (10.8 carbs) and half a toufayan pitta - not as terrible as it sounds at 3.5 carbs and 11 grams of protein :)

The pittas had been sitting in my freezer since I bought them just before I decided to start Slim and Save. It was actually really nice and I can easily see myself eating one as a low carbohydrate alternative when looking towards maintaining my weight loss at the end of this journey.

Tomorrow is back on the straight and narrow though, back to shakes it is. I'll be interested to see if I gain any weight over my two days of being slightly off plan.

Ooh, I've never heard of toufayan pittas before. Where do you get them from? Any suggestions re low carb versions of 'carbs' always welcome here to help me plan a different eating strategy when I start back on food. I'm going to try to go through until 22nd Dec (minus a weekend break for the office do) and then get back on track when I return to work in January having gone not too mad over Xmas. Hope to have no more than 2.5 stone to lose by then and get it all off by Easter when I need to have planned a maintenance strategy. I seem to be changing my mind re the maintenance strategy all the time, not that I have to worry too much at the moment as I've still got a long way to go to get to maintenance :)

My local healthfood store stocks them, but a quick google showed them being sold on sites like avidlite - apparantly they also have wraps? I think about maintenance quite frequently in preparation although I don't expect to get down to my goal 9 stone until mid-February after factoring in potential Christmas gains (and New Year...and Birthday...).

Although the refeeding plan for Lipotrim looks nice and quick, I've heard people saying the gradual Cambridge refeed is generally more successful? I can't imagine eating a low low carb diet for life, but I definately think that not binging too much on carbs will probably be a good idea for weight control. :)

Tbh my weight was always easy to control, it was after the introduction of certain strong steroid medications that it shot up and refused to budge back down - so it's hard to know really what it will take to maintain a lower weight now. I do know though that when I was slim I used to be a keen rower - and I hope taking that back up again when I get down in weight (health permitting) will make maintenance somewhat easier.

I didn't follow a classic refeeding plan last time - I just did my own thing but will read up more about the plans and the options this time and decide what's right for me.

I can't imagine low carbing for life either but I do know that when I moved to refeed last time and kept carbs low (no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes but I did have a bit of fruit and some wine at weekends) I kept the weight off. Then I tried to introduce low GI carbs and that seemed to be ok too for a while but harder. When I introduced the rice, bread, pasta, potatoes it all went to pot :). I'm thinking I will try to eat low carb where possible during the week and have some carbs at weekend but we shall see. I maintained when I did a VLCD before for a good couple of years before I ended up staying in hotels all week for 3 years and ate whatever was on the menu and put on lots of weight :(. I'm hoping to have a better go at maintenance this time round. As I have a desk job and reasonably long commute it will always mean that I have a tendency to be less active than I perhaps should be so I'll be watching my weight forever I think.

really interested to learn about how to refeed , Ive never done a vlcd before and the most ive ever lost in the past is about 10lb so Im keen to learn what on earth I do when Ive reached goal weight

I know that my number one downfall is bread , I love multigrain bread and could easily eat 6 to 8 slices a day and my evening meal usually included pasta ,i also love cereal , breakfast lunch or supper didnt really matter to me , so I need to relearn what I substitute those things with

Im surprising myself how much I enjoy a big plate of salad with a small portion of spag bol with it , i think I just got my proportions all wrong , before I would have a large portion of pasta and a small salad and now I need to flip that around

Rob is introducing a refeeding section to the slim and save website so im looking forward to seeing that

I've heard it said that the first few bites of anything are the tastiest, after that we're eating to satisfy a need - whether it's physical hunger or emotional overeating ;) So your idea of flipping ratios is probably a very effective one Phonenix!

bump

would be nice to see this thread keep going

Anybody got any low carb alternatives for bread

any ideas about how to compensate for lack of pasta, rice and potatoes with my dinner

just need some strategies for refeeding and maintainance , never too early to start my research

Afraid I don't have any alternatives, maybe look on the Atkins forum?

I haven't researched this at all really but Lucysera came up with some wraps from the lowcarbmegastore as a substitute for bread and there are several breads there that are lower carb too:

Bread, Scones & Wraps | Low Carb Megastore

As for a substitute for rice etc. maybe research polenta, quinoa and cous cous. I 'think' I read somewhere that they were lower GI alternatives but I've never tried polenta or quinoa so have no idea about taste. I'm probably going to skip that sort of thing for a while when I refeed but may add something like lentils into currys, stews etc. to add to the taste / texture.

Cauliflower is fine, about the same in terms of carbs as broccoli and is on the Atkins induction list. I have no idea why it's not on the S&S list actually.

Back