Addiction to exercise...

hayrae

So I am not good at taking rest days!! It's something I really need to work on! But I just love working out. I go to lots of classes and If I could fit anymore in I would. Recently I've started to suffer with fatigue, I don't know if I was hydrating myself well enough and as a result I ended up with a kidney infection. I also struggle to eat enough to fuel my body to cope with the demands of exercise. I took two days off work and 5 days off the gym and I'm easing myself back into the gym... But man am I suffering!! I see my gym instructor who teaches 28 hours of classes a week and just think 'how does she do it?' Any advice or tips? Anybody else addicted to exercise? Hayley x

lots of sleep, relaxation, good healthy food and water, and heavy days and light(easy) days, and if you can a rest day. Also instructors are really used to the work.

I love exercise so much it ended up being my job. The key is to work out smart rather than every day. You need a programme that will work out different areas of your body each day so you're not over loading yourself.

Rest is as important as working out as that is when you body repairs all the damage the exercise has done which us what improves your fitness levels and strength. Without the rest one is just hammering oneself and getting worn out.

As you are such an exercise fan I would take it to the next level and get a programme constructed that will allow you to work out different body parts each day to ensure no one part gets too fatigued. Some gyms do this as part of the package they offer, or it might be worth paying a PT to structure a proper plan for you (usually the cost of one PT session). It would make working out more effective.

I totally understand where you're coming from though, I was/am just the same. Been injured since last August and I'm climbing the walls waiting to get back to it!

Thanks for your advice!! It's helpful. I hate having days off!! I despise it. Whenever I'm sat around I start thinking 'shall I do some tricep dips?!' Haha but I do wear myself out.

I'd love to make it my job but I worry that because I've got some lose skin and a way to go with toning that someone would think 'I don't want her training me.'

How do you get in to a career in fitness? I'd love to teach a step class or a spin class and do some personal training.

Well from the perspective of being a bit heavier and then slimming down/getting fit it is quite good to be able to say to clients that you've done it yourself, so you can relate to them and they know you've been through it too.

I was just a mad keen amature and I found (after looking around for a long time) that my local Uni did the courses I wanted part time and I could fit them in around my regular job. I started with CYQ LEVEL 2 Gym Instructor - that was one morning a week for 10 weeks, then a month home revision and then the assessment day.
And then did the Personal Trainer CYQ Level 3 a couple of months later, and Exercise to Music level 2. Both taught in the same part time basis at the uni.

If you go to the gym and do aerobics the level 2 qualifications come quite naturally, the level 3 was harder work, but as it's my favourite subject it was a pleasure!

Then I just applied to local gyms for a job. Some gyms will continue to train you when your employed so you can keep adding on skills like teaching Pilates, strength training etc, or of course you can do them privately as well. Or once you're qualified as a PT you can set up self employed and work around a day job and have clients in evenings and weekends, I know trainers that do that.

The part of it that took me the longest was finding somewhere that ran the courses and didn't charge an arm and a leg. I paid about £900 in total for all three qualifications but it can be more.

Find a CYQ centre | CYQ

Back