Advice for a newbie

Size 16 Will Do

Silver Member
As yu can see by my stats I'm very overweight. I have started following a healthy eating plan, weight watchers, and have re-joined the gym. When I went to the gym before I did my own cardio workout but never really pushed myself so I have signed up to a few classes.

What I want to know is what do you think are the best classes for weight loss in the first instance, then I know this will build my fitness anyway.

I have tried: -

body pump - enjoyed it but found lunges and squats really hard did sweat but not mad.

Kettlecise - definately did more sweating than body pump and

Spinning - absolutely soaking with sweat really hard

The gym does more classes including Zumba, pilates, yoga, tone zone.

Any advice would be appreciated x

hi there

brilliant to get on with healthy eating - once I got into healthier eating my weight dropped consistently.

for exercise you really are best doing what you enjoy. trying for something that others have success with but you struggle to find pleasure or satisfaction in wont last. Its to borrow a cliche, a marathon not a sprint.

Classes are a great way - a mix often works. some strength, flexibility and cardio is a good combination. I do pilates and kettlebell at they moment and the work well together.

You said you enjoyed body pump - loved these classes, found them challenging but fun. For squats you can do half or 3/4 where you dont drop down so far - perfectly legit exercise and often used in rehab. Remember squats are a bum out exercise and push up from your heels - get the technique right and its so good for you.

Sweating isnt always the best guide...I dont sweat much doing kettlebells but I use my big muscles (legs, back, bum) and this burns calories - loads of them.

Do what you enjoy and will carry on doing. If you start with one and tire of it then move on.

Thanks for that.

Did kettlebell again last night and am enjoying that, well I can put up with it.

Had a bit of a drama at spinning on monday night. It was ok in the class a bit uncomfortable but it felt like a bit of wire was stuck in my leg. Anyway checked last night and I have a hole in my leggings and a big "burn" like mark on my leg so maybe there was something digging in!!!!! thought it was just the seat and with my weight.

Anyway gym only tonight probably treadmill and cross trainer.

Food still good sticking to my points so will see at weigh in on saturday.

Why not do a triathlon at the gym. Cross trainer, bike then treadmill. Could you do 15mins of each?

Give yourself a challenge

Yeah might try that.

I'm a sucker for setting goals hence all the tickers on my signature. Ive added a fitness one in for gym visits.

Can't wait to see it go down!!

Will report back tomorrow how I manage.

Well I did the gym, I did 15 mins bike, 15 mins treadmill going up one incline every minute, then 10 minutes cross trainer. Glad I went.

Weigh in Saturday still looming, but foods been spot on within WW points so we shall see.

Kettlecise tonight again and gonna atempt spinning tomorrow I think, either that or gym routine again.

well done - results will come thru even if not this weekend.

plenty of variation will really challenge your body - fantastic to do that, your fitness as a result will grow much quicker. enjoy kettlercise, and swing big

Back