Advice if possible please.

intothelight

Hi all,

I'm new to this having just joined but was wondering if any of you could give me any advice please.

I'm a size 28 and although always been overweight it's crept up the last few years to a point where now I have to do something about it as it's not only worrying but causing back and feet problems.
A few years back I used to cycle to work, I didn't change my diet but I noticed the weight dropped off so I'm starting on that route again. I ordered an exercise bike which arrived yesterday and I was just wondering if anyone could give tips on the best way to start off? ie take it a bit at a time, say for 10 mins, then gradually build up? I've done 10k on it today in 2 seperate sessions.

Regarding food I've cut out the last few days all chocolate ( even though I don't have much, more crisps) and all fizzy drinks which were my weakness. For lunch today I've had an omelette with salad and a banana for breakfast so any tips on what to eat when you're just starting off would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time for reading, some of the stories on here are definitely inspirational! :)

Hi intothelight :) was just about to log off and spotted your lonely little post :eek: I promise I will check back on this thread and try to post a few words of wisdom tomorrow or Thurs. Are you going to follow any particular eating plan? You'll find lots of options and support from folk doing allsorts on here (not the liquorice sort unfortunately :rolleyes:) Have a good browse of the site. First secret is to plan what you are going to eat and have those foods in and to hand. One of my favorite sayings is "A goal without a plan is just a wish". I have a mad day tomorrow with tree men coming, as in men to cut trees, not three men, can confuse when said in an Irish accent. My regular thread is Chips with Everything is BACK on the WeMITTS forum (stands for We Mean It This Time). Be good and promise to come back when I can. chips x

Hi!

That's actually really good advice! I'm new to the whole thing too and saw a vlogger on youtube recommend this site. I had a friend who used to plan every meal mainly for budget rather than nutrition, but planning what you have means you shouldn't have anything else in!

Oh and your week countdown and weight is absolutely amazing, massive well done! :character00238:

Hiya!

Thanks for replying and I will check out your thread when I'm back from work later. Regarding food I'm looking into at the moment stuff that I like that's also healthy. Lots of salad has been purchased and fruit. I managed to swerve the crisp aisle :p

I will check out the threads on here tonight and have a good peruse to get some ideas. Now to start work at this time and avoid getting a McDonald's breakie ... Haha . Banana for me ?

Thank you, I won't say it's been easy, but I will say it's been easier than I thought. Paticularly stopping the booze every night. Thought that would have me climbing the wall and draining neighbours bottles from their recycling boxes .... but after a few days, not really given it much thought. I have had the odd drink (mean brother bought me a bottle of white. don't like white, don't like brother, so wasn't going to say no to that !) :rolleyes:If you want to find my other posts on other threads, if you click on my name on left of screen, a window pops up and you can view other posts. Quite a few ideas, which you may relate to, depending on your eating plan, scattered around the site. Just about to post some shopping ideas for intothelight, as promised. Be good. :) chips xx

Hi there, chips here :) I've just done an on-line shop for tomorrow. Boy, when I scrolled down my old lists, could I see where I had been going wrong ! It's a wonder I'm still alive ! My finger was aching holding the mouse button down to go past, cakes, nuts, booze, pies, porkpies, bacon, sausages etc etc mucho pasty, mucho processed hams, salami etc etc.:ashamed0005: Gave me a kick up the bum :asskick:to realise just how much of that I was putting away. But the nice man at the Samaritans, said to put all that behind me and get on with it :eek: Almond milk (uht is best for me) is nice in porridge and cereal. Make sure its the unsweetened. I could not live without Kallo organic ricecakes, which can be topped with sweet or savoury. Substantial and only 30 cals a go. One of my treats is 2 rice cakes, with a smear of lemon curd or St Dalfour no sugar raspberry fruit spread, (they do a good range) topped with low fat creme fraiche. It's like tucking into 2 cream cakes. Lavley :p

If you have chosen calorie counting as your way forward, you will need to become an avid label reader and get a set of small kitchen scales (Argos have good and cheap) after a while it will fall into place. Set yourself achievable goals. In the past I gave up if I felt deprived, hungry or bored. The secret is not to subscribe to any of those by eating a wide variety and enough of the right things. Try things you haven't tried before, and make SOUP for fridge and freezer. You can throw anything other than old carpet slippers into it. Let your creative juices flow ! Be good and let us know how you're getting on. chips xx

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the replies ?. I've not found it as hard as I thought I would to be honest . The main thing cutting out has been fizzy drinks which I thought would be harder since I did drink a hell of a lot of them.

It's payday today so I shall be doing a big shop this weekend taking advice on here as to what to buy. Luckily I do like all salad so eating that either on its own or with something else healthy shouldn't be a problem.

The exercise bike is going well also. I'm gradually building up how long I cycle for. Averaging around 10km a day which considering before that I did zero a day I'm hoping it will help me along.

Thanks again for the replies , helps a lot! ?

Back