Advice needed

Tessieg1

Silver Member
Hello all,
I've been doing SW for almost two months now and I've only lost 3lbs. :( I have a very underactive thyroid and am on a really high dosage of Levothyroxine. I'm just wondering if anyone else with hypothyrodism has had success with SW?
I've filled in food diaries for my Consultant and have also done a SAS form that she gave me. I've been 100% honest on it too. I drink approx 2 litres of water a day too. Admittedly I don't exercise a lot (due to time limits and a young child), but surely that won't affect the weightloss that much?
I'm really disheartened and I would appreciate any advice or support, please.

I do mostly green days with the occasional Extra Easy as I'm veggie.

A typical food diary is:
Breakfast
2 x weetabix with skimmed milk and sweetener
1 x Banana

Snack:
Mullerlight FF yogurt (free)

Lunch:
MugShot
Fruit

Snack:
Snack a jacks Crunchy curls 3.5 syns

Dinner:
Jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn with
1tbsp extra light mayo (1 syn) and mixed salad.

I sometimes crave something sweet after so I will sometimes have an Options hot choc (2 syns) or I'll have another FF yogurt with fruit or occasionally a 2-finger kitkat.

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate you taking the time to read. :eek:

Hi Tess,

if your thyroxine is the correct dose then I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference. Although I see from your signature that you missed your meds for a week which would reflect as it has done.

Even doing green days I would increase the amount of superfree foods you're eating and maybe add some superspeed/speed foods in.

Also it strikes me that you're not eating enough, sometimes that can have a negative effect.

Also how about posting a daily food diary on here so people can give constructive feedback to help you on your way.

good luck x

Hi Tess,

if your thyroxine is the correct dose then I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference. Although I see from your signature that you missed your meds for a week which would reflect as it has done.

Even doing green days I would increase the amount of superfree foods you're eating and maybe add some superspeed/speed foods in.

Also it strikes me that you're not eating enough, sometimes that can have a negative effect.

Also how about posting a daily food diary on here so people can give constructive feedback to help you on your way.

good luck x

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your response. The docs keep adjusting my dosage of thyroxine and for the last three times they've upped my dosage.

I have actually been told that I might not be eating enough. I will try and up my superfree for this week, and see what happens.
I've heard somebody mention Success Express or something like that. Any ideas on what that is?

Thanks again. :)

its where you eat 2/3 plate superfree every meal and you have 2 healthy extra a's and 2 b's as well I think.

I haven't tried it myself though, I'm happy with my slow but steady loss x

Hi,

Ive an underactive thyroid which I've had since I was 19, I take thyroxine daily too, the dose has increased considerably over the years, but have still managed to succeed in losing weight (lost 2st in 2009 prior to my wedding)

Where I see a big difference is how quickly I can put weight on without having a 'bad' diet, I cannot eat like other people I know continually without ending up with a gain.

I hope you find a way to make it work for you, by all means feel free to vent in my direction ;-)

x

its where you eat 2/3 plate superfree every meal and you have 2 healthy extra a's and 2 b's as well I think.

I haven't tried it myself though, I'm happy with my slow but steady loss x

Thanks very much for this. I will ask my consultant for more info as this may be useful to kickstart my weightloss again. :)

Hi,

Ive an underactive thyroid which I've had since I was 19, I take thyroxine daily too, the dose has increased considerably over the years, but have still managed to succeed in losing weight (lost 2st in 2009 prior to my wedding)

Where I see a big difference is how quickly I can put weight on without having a 'bad' diet, I cannot eat like other people I know continually without ending up with a gain.

I hope you find a way to make it work for you, by all means feel free to vent in my direction ;-)

x

Hiya,
Thanks very much for your post. Yes, I've also noticed how easy it is to put on weight when you're eating "normally". That's why I was a bit apprehensive at trying SW because of the amount of food you could eat. I will definitely vent when necessary and feel free to do the same. :D x

It does look like you eat very little. There's not enough food there and not much in way of fruit and veg.

As far as exercise goes. Walking is perfect when you have little children. You can get them in some good habits too. I used to walk with my son everywhere. He saw it as a treat to get the bus! He still walks everywhere now he's grown up, but I think thats more due to his frugal nature!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I'm on levothyroxine too and having an under active thyroid does affect your weight.It certainly does mine. Peeps think that once your on the tabs everything will be fine and your weight will return to normal. Well it doesn't!You will loose weight on sw but it can take time. My levels alter all the time and my weight with it. The post about putting it back on quickly if you fall off the wagon is very true as well.You need to take it slowly and bit by bit. I have had to accept that I will be here for ever and a day but you will get there.The post about you not eating enough is very true as well. You must eat to loose on sw-it will speed up your metabolism. You must eat your syns as well for the same reason. Out of interest has the doc told you about certain foods which can affect your thyroid cos some of them are sf on sw.Let me know if you need that info.

I'm on levothyroxine too and having an under active thyroid does affect your weight.It certainly does mine. Peeps think that once your on the tabs everything will be fine and your weight will return to normal. Well it doesn't!You will loose weight on sw but it can take time. My levels alter all the time and my weight with it. The post about putting it back on quickly if you fall off the wagon is very true as well.You need to take it slowly and bit by bit. I have had to accept that I will be here for ever and a day but you will get there.The post about you not eating enough is very true as well. You must eat to loose on sw-it will speed up your metabolism. You must eat your syns as well for the same reason. Out of interest has the doc told you about certain foods which can affect your thyroid cos some of them are sf on sw.Let me know if you need that info.

Hiya,
thanks so much for your post. Yes, the doc did mention veg like broccoli, sweetcorn, cabbage etc as thyroid inhibiting veg, but these are basically my favourite veg. :( I try not to eat too much of them though.
I'm really glad that I'm not alone at losing weight so slowly. I'm finding it really difficult eating more, to be honest, but I will try harder this week.
Thanks again for your replies. Take care. :)

Hi, I have an underactive thyroid after I had most of it removed following a tumour. I've lost 5st 2lb so far, so it can be done. :)

In theory as long as you are on the right dose of thyroxine you should be OK, but its important they keep your bloods checked regularly as it does change over time. I just found out mine has been below normal again since they took some bloods last February but they didnt think to tell me! (That also corresponds to when me weight loss slowed down to about 2lb a week instead of 3-4lb) So my dose has been too low for the last 6 months :mad: They've increased it now though and I had another blood test yesterday so it might have to be increased again.

Anyway, there are lots of us like you here and it can be done! :cool:

Oh and Id never heard about thyroid-inhibiting veg :confused: Tell me more! I have broccoli and sweetcorn nearly every day! :eek: I have become a veg addict! :p I can now make almost any vegetable interesting, despite previously detesting the damn things! :D

Oh, my food diary is here btw if you want any ideas.

Good luck! x :)

Back