advice please

saidan

hi all

i was on the SW section - but have big problems eating food due to a medical problem. i am now drinking complan - and am prescribed 1200 calories per day. i could reduce this by using water instead of milk to mix the drinks.

can i ask some questions about having shakes.....

how do you not eat? everything in me is saying eat something....does this go after a few days?
is it normal for the tummy to feel so full or fluid? i feel like i'm sloshing around.
what do you do if you get the 'shakes' from low blood sugar?

i'm so worried about the whole thing. How do you all on shakes without a daily meal manage?

thanks for any help

saidan

On any VLCD after 2-4 days you enter ketosis, this means that the physical craving for food substantially reduces. Now I'm at this point, I find not eating very liberating as I love how quickly I can get through meals! I guess in the case of complan it will be a case of your body becoming used to it, and once you have adjusted hopefully you will enjoy some free time. I hope you get on ok. X

When you say prescribed, is this a doctor prescription? 1200 cals seems really high for a VLCD. I'm on Slim and Save, about 600-650 cals depending which packs I have.

Is Complan nice? I see it in so many Supermarkets, it must be convienient not to have to order everything online.

Saidan,

The problem is everyone on a VLCD has to put up with feeling hungry for the first few days until we enter "ketosis" and then the feelings of hunger subside. The problem is to stay in ketosis we have to eat no more than approx 50/60g of carbs a day but on complan each sachet has at least 30g of carbs + another 10g for the milk so if you are on say 4 a day then you are easily consuming 150g+ of carbs a day so there is no way you could go into ketosis.

Could you not switch to an actual VLCD? Just like complan It would still give your body a rest from eating but you would be in ketosis so not hungry, and of course you would also loss weight.

Tracyx

Oh and to answer your question- I've been doing a VLCD for a month now and never had sugar shakes. I used to quite often, and deal with it by eating crap, but none since I started.

S&S isn't just shakes though (though there is that option) so can't help with 'sloshing' but I know I have 5-6l of water a day on top of my packs so I drink a lot but don't slosh. Maybe it's your body getting used to it? Did you used to drink a lot? I drink about the same I alwasy did so nothing to get used to really.

And depending on your medical issues- could you have porridge or something like that? There are several VLCDs with 'meals' which are in reality little packs of powder you make up wtih water. Sorry if not, I just thought I'd mention it.

Oh and yes it gets better, it really does. One month! And still going :)

I don't think that the question was about VLCD, but really about toughing out only having shakes for food... I hope I read you correctly saiden.

Yeah your right Nixib but she was asking how we all manage on just liquids so i just wanted to point out that it's easier for us as after 3-4 days we all enter ketosis but she won't. Of course in time she will get used to the liquid diet but her appetite won't suppress the way it would if she was doing a VLCD, so in the long term it might be easier for her to do an actual VLCD.

Tracyx

thank you for your advice

you are all right of course - 1200 is not VLCD, but i thought maybe you'd have idea's given your liquid intake LOL

i'd like to do a VLCD but at the moment my bloods are so bad that i need the 4 prescribed drinks. it is prescribed by my GP and tastes okay - i just feel so sloshy!

thanks again.

saidan

Oh dear, hope I didn't offend! I just assumed VLCD:eek:

Good luck with it, hope it works and the sloshing gets better! And that any weightloss helps your medical condition, I know my health has improved over the last month and can't wait to feel 'normal'. Hoping to deal with PCOS and pre-diabetes amongst other things.

Back