Advice please!?

Lizzyliz0

Silver Member
I am thinking of starting slim and save after over 10 years of yoyo dieting. I'm just a bit concerned about having no social life!

I don't go out very often, maybe once a month but its something that I really enjoy. Does anyone do this diet and still manage to go out for a meal or out for a drink with friends every now and again? How does it work and does it affect your losses massively?

Thanks for your help!

You can go out without breaking the diet. You can have chicken and salad, or a small fillet steak and veg, for example. Also, I always drink sparkling water rather than alcohol.

From my own experience and other peeps diaries when it come to moments like that people make it work as best as possible and the results are worth it.

Like weasey said..you can still enjoy and dinner out just have meat with salad/veg. Drinks you can still have your teas/coffee/ certain Ribena's/cokes.
It just take a lil planning into wear your going.

I recently took a day off for my bday....I would advise not venturing into alcohol as it take you out of ketosis and the headache you get is not worth it.

On the days I took off I stuck to plan for half the day and just went off plan for the dinner. I must admit I only had 2shake and not 3 to allow for the extra calories I would be having...probably not something slim and save would advise.

As a result of my day off I didn't have any loss but even better or gain...I think had I not had the wine I could have reported a small loss...

I think you will do fine with SnS if it is like you say just the one time a month....as long as you stay determined and return to plan ASAP

Hi ya, it's totally up to you how you choose to diet. It will slow down your losses and each time you break from it might put on the initial 4lbs and then have to get into ketosis again to lose it.
I did the Cambridge diet before this and over the space of a year I probably had about 4 or 5 social occasions that I broke the diet temporarily for. If I knew I wanted to drink I'd make sure I was out of ketosis by eating something carby that day and evening. But this first week is the hardest as you are going into ketosis, and each time you break it you have to re-do this every time.
I still chose to break it those few times but it did slow down my weight loss. Most of the time I drank sparkling water and ate chicken/prawn/salad - sometimes I'd treat myself to a touch of sauce if I was well into ketosis as I knew it wouldn't effect me. But everyone is different and it's trial and error as to what throws you out of ketosis or not.
And also everyone's different as to whether they can jump back on the diet bandwagon straight away. I did very easily but some people do struggle.
With slim and save you have your week 13 break (obviously not to go nuts in!-oooo nuts!) but I am planning a social activity in that week which will involve pudding and possibly a glass of champers. But for the 12 weeks leading up to it I'm going to try my best to be 100%.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

To be honest, it's not really the food that bothers me its the alcohol. I'm going out with my sister on the 27th and its bound to be a boozy night. Fizzy water wont really work. Would you suggest leaving the diet until this is over? And just not planning any nights out for a while?

Has anyone done this diet but using the 5:2 principle so only doing it 2 days a week? Not sure if I'd just over eat on the other 5 days though.

Also, how much have you all lost if you don't mind me asking? I've been losing and putting back on the same 7lbs on slimming world for years now. I'm so fed up and depressed. I need to do something before I go up another dress size!

the 27th is still a way to go hun

You have plenty of time to get some lovely losses in..

Come the 27th you can decide what to do...either take a couple days off or try stick to it as much as possible.

Even if you were to gain weight I am sure you would have lost double if not more of what you put on in that short time.

BUT in all honestly it comes down to what you want....if you start now and your not in it wholeheartly the chance of slipping is easy...

the 27th is still a way to go hun

You have plenty of time to get some lovely losses in..

Come the 27th you can decide what to do...either take a couple days off or try stick to it as much as possible.

Even if you were to gain weight I am sure you would have lost double if not more of what you put on in that short time.

BUT in all honestly it comes down to what you want....if you start now and your not in it wholeheartly the chance of slipping is easy...

I am thinking of starting next Sunday. I'm going to the cake and bake show in London on Saturday and there is NO WAY I could do that and eat a shake or bar. But the day after I'm thinking will be good. After the 27th I have no plans at all so maybe if I break it that day but get back on it straight away then I should have a good run up to Christmas hopefully.

I'm so so so fed up of feeling like I'm not in control of my weight and food. I've never done a meal replacement diet before so I'm hoping this will work for me. I'm 30 but dress like a 50 year old, I just want to feel my age for once.

Thanks so much for all your advice. X

This is a great diet for gaining control. I have no control over food so find this an easy way to lose the pounds. I started last Sunday and had a sneaky look on the scales and looks like I'm 7lbs down already.
Start it when your heart is fully in it and if you have a break then plan it well and dedicate to get back on after a couple of days.
If you start it before your boozy night out make sure you have some carbs. I had a baaaad experience before which was very silly and dangerous.
If you start on Sunday you can lose quite a bit before your night out which will probably make you feel really good!! :)

Is it really true that you can't have a night out without alcohol? I had loads of great nights out without drinking. Other people may have a problem with it but that's their problem. If they care for you they won't mind. Many people do choose to come on and off the diet but I'm not sure that they have as much success long term. I know that I couldn't have done it that way. I also know that the people in my life understood what I was trying to do and were supportive once I explaned that I wouldn't be eating/drinking. Hope you make whichever decision is right for you.

I lost over 9 stone in 11 months finishing in June 2012. I am now a stone higher than I'd like to be so have come back to take it back off again.

If you start next Sunday you will manage to get in just over two weeks in there

In my 1st two weeks I lost 1stone, I have also read ppls diaries who have lost even more in two weeks

The 1st for days can be difficult for some as your body goes in ketosis. The one thing is remember that water is your best friend.

I look forward to observing your journey...because I have it in my mind that the day your night out comes you may go without the alcohol...

Once your body is in ketosis you don't feel hunger like before . However if you do decided to have drinks please have some carbs what I experienced was not nice and all I had was half a glass of white one.

The losses from your two weeks will having you rushing back to plan soon after your night out.

I know how you feel about size...I am losing weight after pregnancy which resulted in a stillbirth at 41weeks. I am wanting to lose as much as possible before nxt pregnancy.....anyway after my 1st 1st I could fit back in my jeans that I have worn since last year...felt a amazing...

I feel like I can dress better...totally worth it

Good Luck chic

I say give it a try. You can always stop if it doesn't work for you. About 5 years ago I did Lighter Life and lost 5st going from an 18 to an 8-10. At first my partner and family gave me 3 weeks and they thought I'd give up. I myself didn't know if I could do it, but I knew I wanted to change. Surprisingly I stuck with it and six months later I was the new slim me. I do not regret it and feel like I owe my life to that diet! I've put back on 20lbs in the past year so I'm back doing slim and save to get back to my size 10s. Slim and save products taste much better than LL

Ok, I'm taking the plunge!

Ill decide about the night out nearer the time. It's only with my sister so I'm sure she will support me if I cancel or just drink water, hoping if I have good results it will motivate me to keep going.

The only other concern is what my husband will eat. He really needs to lose weight too but he needs to decide that for himself. Might see if he will have micro meals or something as I don't want to spend loads of time cooking and not be able to eat it! I will already have to cook stuff for my son. What do you guys do??

I cook for my husband like normal, but just make enough for him. You get used to it. I just know that it's his food and he doesn't eat my "food"

If he can makes his meals for first few days that's going to really help as thats the hardest time

I left my husband to sort himself out! But then we both work full time so it was never my job to cook every night anyway. Lots of people do continue cooking for others whilst doing the diet though. Because there are meal packs you can still sit down with your family to eat - for example, you could have spag bol and salad whilst they eat dinner. Then it's not a seperating experience.

If you start next Sunday you will manage to get in just over two weeks in there

In my 1st two weeks I lost 1stone, I have also read ppls diaries who have lost even more in two weeks

The 1st for days can be difficult for some as your body goes in ketosis. The one thing is remember that water is your best friend.

I look forward to observing your journey...because I have it in my mind that the day your night out comes you may go without the alcohol...

Once your body is in ketosis you don't feel hunger like before . However if you do decided to have drinks please have some carbs what I experienced was not nice and all I had was half a glass of white one.

The losses from your two weeks will having you rushing back to plan soon after your night out.

I know how you feel about size...I am losing weight after pregnancy which resulted in a stillbirth at 41weeks. I am wanting to lose as much as possible before nxt pregnancy.....anyway after my 1st 1st I could fit back in my jeans that I have worn since last year...felt a amazing...

I feel like I can dress better...totally worth it

Good Luck chic

Oh god, that's awful. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. Hope you are ok?? X

Just had a chat with him and he said he is happy to eat what my little boy has so that makes it easier.

What are your favourite packs? I'm not going to have shakes. I hate that kind of thing!

I left my husband to sort himself out! But then we both work full time so it was never my job to cook every night anyway. Lots of people do continue cooking for others whilst doing the diet though. Because there are meal packs you can still sit down with your family to eat - for example, you could have spag bol and salad whilst they eat dinner. Then it's not a seperating experience.

Read that as you left your husband! Thought that was a bit dramatic just to avoid cooking him dinner! Haha

Lizzyliz0 said:
Read that as you left your husband! Thought that was a bit dramatic just to avoid cooking him dinner! Haha

Lol! Not quite that drastic!

There's a sticky on the forum talking about which packs people like. From my point of view I'm not keen on shakes. I have oatmeal for brekkie (people tend to either like oatmeal and hate porridge or the other way around...) and I like the spicy spaghetti and chilli packs in particular. I tend to have those with salad or steamed broccoli/cauliflower. I like the museli and lemon bars. I also like the truffle bars and coconut bar but I think I like them too much so I avoid them.

I have a little emergency pack in my gym bag and in my car. Tends to consist of a couple of bars and a shake - just in case I get stuck out unexpectedly.

I have bar for breakfast with a coffee. Then have a shake for lunch normally cafe latte, caramel or the crispy chocolate as its like cocopops then I have cheesy pasta or spicy spaghetti alongside my dinner so with meat/fish/eggs plus veg I add babybel as a treat and always have a sugar free jelly made up if I get a craving for sweets.

I've got a curry pack to try this week tho... Always get nervous trying a new flavour. Tried spaghetti Bol last night and had to throw it straight in the bin ha!

Back