advice re: diabetes

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by emmapetty, 14 April 2011 Social URL.

1. emmapetty

emmapetty Going for Goal!

Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Diet:
    Cambridge diet
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and dropping those lbs ;)

Ive just had a very lengthly conversation with my Mum who has been very upset over a real grilling from her Dr this morning over her weight. She has many health issues that are all related to her being overweight.

Anyway, I have been convincing her all morning that what the Dr is suggesting is a last resort (gastric bypass) and that she could start the Cambridge diet with me after Easter. She isn't sure whether she can do it with her having diabetes though. I'm not sure as I don't have it myself but have promised that I will find out for her and let her know!

So here I am again relying on my lovely CD friends to help me out with my query :D

Can't wait to get back to it in a few weeks too - i've missed you guys! :)

Hugs x x x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sasha63

sasha63 I ♥ CD !!

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    meal replacement
    sorry emma cant help but lm sure someone will know

4. onlyme!

onlyme! is a naughty girl...

Diet:
    CD
    Hey hun, I don't know I am afraid just wanted to say hi and I hope you are well?! Xx

5. sumayyah

sumayyah please try again

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(25.3%)
    Diet:
    was cambridge now exante
    i think diabetics cant go lower than the 1200 programme. trying to find the info

good to see you hun

6. sumayyah

sumayyah please try again

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(25.3%)
    Diet:
    was cambridge now exante
  7. Mrs Taurus

Mrs Taurus Silver Member

Start Weight:
    18st2lb
    Current Weight:
    17st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(1.97%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Emma,
    My mum was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in Autumn 2004, after a life-time of yo-yo dieting and carrying on average an extra 3- 4 stone around she immediately went on the low GI diet, and took up line dancing.
    Despite some not believing it to be medically possible, within a year she actually got into pre-diabetic state again, honest. She spent the last 3 and a half years of her life the healthiest she had ever been, she saw the low GI diet as a way of life and enjoyed it, she became a regular exerciser and no longer a yo-yo dieter or emotional eater........,as you may recall she passed away due to medical negligence during pre-op care for a hip replacement,nothing to do with her previous size or diabetes.

Good luck, and enjoy your 1st Easter with Elliot.

A very lardy Mrs T........although, I'm back at the gym after a 5 year break and 5 stone weight gain next week....yikes!

x

8. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Hi Emma

I'm guessing we're talking Type 2 diabetes?

Claire's already provided the link, but here's what it says:

So I guess it depends on what sort of diabetes she has and how bad it's got.

It's slightly off on a tangent this, but I have a very good friend who has type 2 diabetes who's now off all her medication after discovering the low carb diet. In theory (ha ha!), doctors are supposed to recommend trying a low carb diet before putting type 2 diabetic patients on metformin and the like. Funnily enough, hers didn't mention it. :rolleyes: But she didn't do too well on metformin at all - it gave her horrible tummy problems.

She's doing fabulously well on low carb and finds that she hardly misses carbs at all.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that with the doctor's support she could definitely do Cambridge - and surely even (s)he'd agree it was worth a shot before resorting to drastic measures?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.