• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Advice wanted on calorie counting

Hi all

In the new year hopefully I'll be completely off my diet and into calorie counting to keep myself at a reasonable weight.

I know of course that shop-bought stuff will have the nutritional value on the packaging, but is there some advice you can offer for estimating calories when e.g. out for a meal?

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
(fine picture of mr rollins there jim!!)

I bought a calorie guide from wh smiths whcih has indian/chinese /pizza etc in, they do say that some figs can only be estimated cos recipes will vary from on takeaway/restraunt to another but it gives you a ball park figure.
chains like macdonalds and kfc are not so bad cos they are quite standardised

let me know if you want the exact name of the guide

Hiya, I use an online calorie counter, which I really recommend, it's around £8 per month. So in the long run a calorie guide in a book form would be sooo much cheaper, but I find it really handy to keep an online food diary. You can get a free 5 day trial on here essentialsweightloss dot com. I like it, was recommended by someone else on these forums.

When out for meals I tend to guesstimate the meal as a whole going by the nearest alternative on the calorie counter.

Dunno what I'd do without these forums, lol.

(fine picture of mr rollins there jim!!)

I bought a calorie guide from wh smiths whcih has indian/chinese /pizza etc in, they do say that some figs can only be estimated cos recipes will vary from on takeaway/restraunt to another but it gives you a ball park figure.
chains like macdonalds and kfc are not so bad cos they are quite standardised

let me know if you want the exact name of the guide
It's a Youtube video, of 'Shine'! :D

Thanks for this, it looks like I'll be calorie counting right now, I've had to come off Cambridge Diet as I was rushed into hospital on Sunday for an operation! So I'm sat with my feet up and the laptop on...

What's the name of the guide, please?

Thanks for this, it looks like I'll be calorie counting right now, I've had to come off Cambridge Diet as I was rushed into hospital on Sunday for an operation!
Gosh, hope you are ok :)
Well done for still staying motivated, that's ace! Some people [ie me] would take the break from the diet as an excuse..... hehe

I use the Collins gem Calorie Counter book it has Fast Food calories in as well as family favourites and other foods and also has a very good section on how calories are burned, how many you can eat, components of a healthy diet, etc.

Lots of information in a little book