Aeroplane food... what to do?

Rorah

Mooooooo
Hi all,

So I've just got back in from a nightmare journey in which due to Heathrow closing one of the runways to de-ice it, I missed my connection and had to stay the night at an airport hotel.

We were given breakfast vouchers but due to having to leave the hotel at 4.40 am to catch the first flight home, we were given boxes of takeaway breakfast instead. These consisted of a Nutrigrain, a little 30g portion of cornflakes with milk, and a 200ml carton of orange juice.

I ate an apple and the cereal with about 1/2 the milk thinking, okay, that's my HexA and HexB for the day, and given that there was no coffee available and I hadn't had anything to drink that morning yet, I drank the OJ too (3 syns). I was still hungry from not having eaten anything but a bit of fruit the previous evening, but managed to leave the Nutrigrain untouched.

OK so far. About 3 hours later we were in the air and I was given a hot cheese and red pepper sub roll. I was starving by this point and ate about 3/4 of it before deciding I'd better stop! Although it was so deliciously gooey it was really hard to stop myself from munching the lot!

I just wonder how much damage this might have done? The packet said 419 calories, so 3/4 would be 314 kcals. Doesn't sound an awful lot, but along with the 3 syns in the OJ it must have taken me well over the daily allowance. It's only 10am and I've probably eaten 2 days worth of syns already!

What should I do?? :confused:

Sometimes what we eat is totally out of our control. I think you have two options.
1. Get fully back on plan as soon as you can, counting today's food as flexible syns. Draw a line under it and carry on as normal. You might not lose this week but you'll still feel in control.
2. Reduce your syns for the rest of the week to try and stick to the weekly total of 105.

Personally I would go with option 1. You've eaten it now, you HAD to eat it or you'd be starving and probably gorge yourself on more bad stuff later. As soon as you can start the plan again and don't feel guilty.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

I've entered the stuff into my food diary, which now looks like this:

Orange juice, unsweetened/freshly squeezed 3
Bread rolls, Submarine roll 14
Cheese, basic, Cheddar, standard 5
Total syns 22

I guess it's not so bad. I do like the idea of taking it out of my 105 weekly syns though, I think that would work. I did over-syn slightly yesterday too (again, being stuck in airports and hotels and meeting rooms, leaves not much room for chioce!), but I'm not likely to need that many syns later on in the week, so I can make it up that way :)

I think you've done remarkably well under the circumstances to tot up your syns whilst under that sort of pressure. :happy096:

Get back on Plan asap and don't worry too much about it. I do agree with Supergirl1980 that you should draw a line under it and get back on track. It happened and you can't change it so go with it. 22 syns is not that bad considering you had no other option and you can pull it back over the week.

Again well done you for having the willpower not to buy a load of snacky things on board as well as the food provided. ;)

Thank you... I'm just worried because both of the 2 days I was away I managed to slightly over-syn (only by a couple of syns, but still...) because of lack of choice and DAMN British Airways always offering me free drinks from the bar!!

And so this extra day due to missing flights etc now means that 3 days have been bad, with yesterday being the worst (I used up 30 syns in all).

Hopefully, if I stick to just 5 syns a day for the rest of the week, I can claw it back (WI on Thursday).

But being so new to SW (first week I had a 0.5lb gain, and missed WI this time due to being away) I've never actually experienced what it's like to go to class and have a loss... and it seems likelier and likelier that even this time, 3 weeks on, I might get another gain.

I'm so upset and annoyed. And BTW I have vowed never to set foot in an aeroplane again for the rest of my life! Enough is enough, with the stress and general unpleasantness. And why is it that just when you think you've shown your passport and boarding card to enough people and placed it carefully back in your handbag (stopping to take 15 seconds to do so, you still manage to aggravate the person behind you who is in a DESPERATE RUSH to get to the gate and how dare you stop walking for 15 seconds?!), then you inevitably get someone else demanding to see it again, as if I'd be able to get as far as the gate without having the correct passport or boarding card. :confused:

So I forgot to take my laptop out of my bag before I put it through the scanners (I always do that) - SORRY! Do you want me to take my shoes off first, and run back to put them in one of your silly little boxes for scanning, or do you want me to take my laptop out and run back with that first? Or do you want me to take my metal hairclip out as that was obviously what made the alarm go off. Oh I see, you want me to put the laptop bag through again as well as the laptop, and the shoes! Well I only have 2 hands and 2 feet, the shoes not only being partly on my feet and unfastened because I was half way through taking them off when you told me about the laptop, the hair now falling everywhere in my eyes because I've just wrenched the clip out and set the alarm off again going BACK through the scanner to put it on one of your boxes, and now all the people behind me are angry that I'm getting in their way, Senorita, stop shouting "LADY" at me!!! :cry:

What a bloody stupid waste of time and effort (and syns!) flying is. Give me a nice little ship or train anyday.

Hi

Personally I would just start fresh today and forget about it. That just me though as if I try and claw back I always end up binging. Did you find out why you gained in your first week?

Thanks for the advice Choccy. Haha yes I know why I gained in my first week - the day after I started my mum and auntie came to visit for a girle long weekend, which meant lots of wine and meals out. Having only just found out about SW I wasn't really sure about anything re: syns, HExs, and all the rest of it, so I just forgot about it had a good time, and no regrets, it was worth every ounce of the 1/2 lb I put on, but now I understand it better and know how to eat out and still stay on-track I really want to make sure I do it properly.

Rorah, well done on being in control. And a great rant about security too. I fly a lot & empathise totally. Occasionally I think i should just strip naked & make it easy on the security system. Maybe if I make it to target I will!!!

Anyway, sorry to hear you've had a bumpy start to your SW 'journey'. Stick with it & you'll be fine.

Back