Alcohol and ketosis do not mix. Please read

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 18 November 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

this was posted on the CD forum by a counsellor and thought I'd share it here so people are more informed about alcohol and ketosis. the website it came from is (Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies)

Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
    A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
    Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

and just to clarify... ketotic is a medical term referring to any circumstance in which low blood glucose is accompanied by ketosis. Which is the case for those of us on VLCD
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

Hi Dancing,

I have posted this as a sticky on here too.

Thanks for finding the source I couldn't remember where it came from I will put link on other forum too.

4. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

I posted this on Cambridgedieters:

If you have any functions coming up you need to sit down with your CDC and plan the way forward for you as an individual.

If you are on SS do not drink any alcohol at all.

Amy and I start to discuss options now with our clients. If they have a lot of things coming up and they do want to take part we review the programmes to take account of that.

Building up through the programmes now gives flexibility over Christmas and New Year then after the festivities back to basics.

For those wishing to stay on SS thats fine, others opt for 790 and avoid alcohol.

CDC's are there to advise you but it is a personal thing so what suits one may not suit another.

Forward planning is the best thing.

Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.