Alcohol and ketosis

LauraR77

Hello there,
just wondered on a special occasion if I could drink alcohol? Also would spirits take out of ketosis? Advice, thoughts and experiences please x

Advice on here is to get out of ketosis before you consume alcohol. And getting out of ketosis doesn't happen that easily either, so beware. I found this very interesting article. I don't know if it is scientifically sound but if I had to drink, I would get out of ketosis first: Drinking booze while in ketosis: is it dangerous? - PaleoHacks.com

Plus drinking on an empty stomach may not be a good idea either, unless you can hold your drink (which I obviously can't :D )

PS: I have seen some dieters who drank while in ketosis, I'm sure they'll be here soon :)

Hi, I started Monday and have lost at least 1lb everyday despite having white wine on Monday and also last night...it doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss but I don't have ketostix or anything to check whether I'm still in ketosis or not, all I know is I'm still losing weight at a very fast rate!

I would second Book Worm that drinking on an empty stomach only leads to a terrible hangover at the very least, interesting article you've posted, I heard that before when I first looked into CD as I couldn't completely give up alcohol but I have friends on Atkins which is the same theory(low carb/ketosis)who drink regularly and still lose, there's actually info on the Atkins site that you can have alcohol but your ketosis will be 'paused' until your body has burned up the alcohol as energy, it will then go back to burning your fat as energy as before.

Thanks for your replies. Really interesting. I want to drink now and then socially. To be honest I am missing my wine and pear cider more than food lol

my mother in law does the Atkins and she always has a whiskey!

Beachbum, that's fab you are losing and still enjoying a wine

That article is interesting. I plan to have a meal too. How easy is it to come out of ketosis?

That article is interesting. I plan to have a meal too. How easy is it to come out of ketosis?

Getting out of ketosis is easy for some people while for others, it requires a few meals. I know one day I cheated and ate a pizza (I know, I know :eek: ) and the day after, I was still in ketosis... If you want to get out of ketosis, I'd start the day before. But it's the going back into ketosis that's hard: it does feel like a bad hangover to me for the first few days! :D

Getting out of ketosis...I ate a bag of carrots from McDs last week and came out! I was really mad with myself

Back