Alcohol!!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Zomumof2, 16 April 2011 Social URL.

1. Zomumof2

Zomumof2 Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(29.72%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi,

As a wine lover, is anyone else finding that weight loss is slow if you drink alcohol?

I am trying a week free from wine :wave_cry: as my weight loss has been quite slow averaging at a pound a week. I wondered whether alcohol was anything to do with it.

I normally save about 40 syns a week to have one bottle of wine and 2 vodkas at the weekend. Although I stay within my syns I just wondered if it had an effect???:sigh:

Thanks x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Rayven

Rayven Addicted to Minimins!

Start Weight:
    18st9lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.15%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I don't drink all that often but when i do i find it has the opposite effect as everything i've eaten or eat afterwards just goes straight through!! (sorry TMI!! lol) But then i guess everyone is different.
    Sorry i couldn't be more helpful & good luck with the wine free week!
    (think i may need a bottle or two as its the Easter Holidays - my kids are already driving me insane!!)

4. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

Diet:
    SW all the way
    1lb a week average isn't really that slow tbh. I often find that having a glass of wine helps get rid of any chocolate cravings, and a glass of wine is less syns than a dairy milk with less fat!
    I tend to lose more if i have a drink - within my syns of course. As long as you drink enough water & eat enough superfree it shouldn't make a huge difference.

5. auntynet

auntynet Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(21.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Zomumof2 - I like my alcohol too and whilst I have cut down a little bit, I have very little intention of giving up altogether (unless I'm really struggling to get to target). I've been doing SW for 7 weeks now and I usually use around 5-7 syns a day on food but on saturdays I have a blow out. I'll make a fake-away meal and that will be followed by several large vodkas. I do use a measure so I can calculate my syns and I keep count of the number of vodkas I have. On sunday mornings I get up and calculate what I actually had and then groan! lol. Its normally around 30 syns on vodka plus whatever food I had. Sounds a lot but that's the only day I do it and on any other day I barely use my syn allowance and so far its still working for me.

Do you only drink wine? Cos I think spirits are less syns than wine so maybe you could stick to vodka and see if that makes a difference . . . . well I'd try that first before going teetotal for a week. lol.

6. Debridger

Debridger On track to target

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(26.15%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World / JUDDDD combo
    I WI on a Thursday, I normally drink 3 or 4 pints of beer (10 syns each) on a Friday, and sometimes a whiskey or 2. I take off the amount of syns, and make sure I don't exceed my 'weekly limit' but I've found if I drink the day before WI I tend to STS or gain, even within my weekly limit!! so, for me now, I won't drink between Monday & Thursday WI
    HTH - Deb

7. auntynet

auntynet Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(21.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think like that too Debringer - my WI is Friday mornings so I indulge a little on saturday night then be very very good for the rest of the week.

8. FatandFlumpy

FatandFlumpy Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st6.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st8lb(-3.96%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I rarely drink anyway but in olden days i used to have wine and soda.. that helped my weight loss but everyone is different

9. hollys nan

hollys nan Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(17.98%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I havent really drunk any alcohol since starting back on S W and my losses have been pretty slow to average! Suppose everyone is different, perhaps thats where I have been going wrong ha ha. (reaches for the rose) lol

10. Debridger

Debridger On track to target

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(26.15%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World / JUDDDD combo
    It's also saving me a few quid too - we used to go out Weds & Fri night, and sometimes Sunday lunch.... now we generally miss out Weds. and only go out Sun occasionally - I buy OH a couple of beers when I shop, so if he fancies one on a Weds. I have some in.

11. WelshCake

WelshCake Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st7lb(30.74%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I rarely use any syns Sun-Thurs but on a Fri and Sat I do have a few vodkas I have averaged 1.5lbs a week which I am happy with

12. beccaharrison89

beccaharrison89 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    How many syns would 1 vodka be with diet coke?

13. Zomumof2

Zomumof2 Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(29.72%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I wish I could do that but unfortunately my WI is on a Monday, straight after the weekend!! :(
    Typical lol

14. Ali*

Ali* Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.01%)
    Diet:
    SW Jan11-Feb12/now CC
    Hi, my name is Ali and I'm a wino!

Unfortunately I think the lovely red stuff was a big contributing factor to my weight gain over the years :( I'm not talking much either ... just a couple of glasses wine 3-4 times a week :confused:

When I started SW 12 weeks ago I thought I wouldn't be able to cut back on my beloved glass of red but slowly I have reduced my drinking habits to having alcohol only on a Thursday (after WI ;)) Friday & Saturday nights and I have started to substitute red wine with either a rose & lemonade or vodka & slimline. Instead of 2 large glasses of red which amount to a hefty 17 syns, 2 vodka & slimlines are only 5 syns :)

I've also noticed as time goes by that the less red wine I have drunk that week the better my losses :confused:

Could be just me though :eek:

15. Zomumof2

Zomumof2 Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(29.72%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Vodka is 4 syns I think and diet coke is free x

16. Ali*

Ali* Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.01%)
    Diet:
    SW Jan11-Feb12/now CC
    A 25ml measure of vodka is 2.5 syns.

A 35ml measure of vodka is 4 syns.

Pubs serve different measures though so beware :)

17. auntynet

auntynet Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(21.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I use one of the little plastic tubs that you get your medication in when you're in hospital - it has a millilitre measure scale on it and it is just 25 ml for one full shot. You could also use the ones you get with cough medicine.

Before I got my hands on that I used a baby bottle to measure out 25 ml then sorted through the dozens of shot glasses my son has accumilated and found one that is 25 mls.

18. beccaharrison89

beccaharrison89 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    4 syns ainr bad, but what happens when you have it at home and gt nothing to measure it out hehe.

19. WelshCake

WelshCake Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st7lb(30.74%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Pub measures are usually 25ml but always ask :)

20. Befanwi

Befanwi Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(6.1%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Wherever there's mention of wine there's me and Ali* (we'll be making a name for ourselves)

As far as I go, most of the food I enjoy is free or hex (pasta, cheese, salads etc) I don't really eat chocolate and I'm so full most of the time that my old vice of crisps is rarely tempting - but alcohol is the one thing that we can't have a 'free' version of so whilst having all your syns on alcohol isn't particularly sensible I do use quite anlarge proportion of mine on a few glasses of wine.. I do find however that if I do drink alcohol I need to drink more other liquids same as when I eat salty food or else I retain water..

21. Zomumof2

Zomumof2 Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(29.72%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Is JD (Jack Daniels) 4 too, does anyone know?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.